• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maxxis Bighorns vs Mickey Thompson MTZ

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of getting new tires (33s). My decision is between Bighorns and M/T MTZs. From what I've read they are both good all round tires that do most things well. Are there anybody that has experience with both these tires that can tell what their preferance would be between the two.
I currently have Goodyear MTRs how would the Bighorns and MTZs compare against it or are they all much of a much?

Personally, I never had a set of Maxxis Tires so I can't help you there. I did have a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's on my wifes 1998 Tacoma. They where a great tire, we got somewhere around 44,000 miles out of them. The Taco is used for everything incuding wheeling, daily driving,etc. we average 20,000 miles per year with it. We now have had Cooper STT's on the Taco for the last 10,000 miles, also a great tire and a suggestion to look at if your still torn. Why not another set of MT/R's? I had a set on my CJ-7 and loved them.

I've had 35" MTZs for a couple of years and love them.I had MT/Rs before and the MTZs perform just as good if not better than MT/Rs on the rocks.They are waaaaayyy better in packed snow/icy conditions than MT/Rs.

Just bought another xj and it has 33" MTZs haven't taken it off road yet (not licenced just got the title two hours ago) but my first impression was a bit noisy on the road. I had a set of MT/Rs for years on my old xj loved em off road and DD. IMO MTZs were much louder on road but look like they'll be great off road. Wouldn't suprise me if they were better in ice and packed snow. Load range D too which i didn't know till we got it home lol so that's a cool /Rs did i would suggest looking into the KM2 but if you don't like em you won't hurt my feelings lol. Hope this helped!thing about the MTZs. I now have a set of KM2s, 35's, on my old XJ and they're really sweet! Supper quiet on road and handle the snow and mud better than my MT

Edit: JP tested the new MT/R with kevlar (not nicely i might ad lol they were brutal) and said that they did everything better than the old ones. I'd read the article here: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_0908_goodyear_mtr_with_kevlar/index.html Worth looking into.

Last edited:
Go with the MTZ, air them down to 10lbs and go where you want. They do great in mud and on the rocks.

My MTZ's are MUCH quieter then my buddies MTR's. Hands down.

Go with the MTZ, air them down to 10lbs and go where you want. They do great in mud and on the rocks.

My MTZ's are MUCH quieter then my buddies MTR's. Hands down.

No offense or anything but that's not my experience at all. Maybe i had a super quiet set of mt/r's or something but i had no complaint's with my old mt/r's. But i can tell you the Km2's are quieter than MTZs because i have a set of both in the driveway right now.

I understand, no offense taken. Just stating my opinion as well. :) I cant speak on the sound of KM2's but I can compare them offroad. It was between the KM2's and the MTZ's for me. I already had one MTZ so I stayed with them. I think they are both equal tires after being out on the trail with them. I abuse my MTZ's and they do great.

My first choice was KM2s, but they've been on backorder for months now (check my location!). I was considering replacing the the MTRs with a new set as my spare is a brand new MTR, but they are nearly a third more expensive than the MTZs. Naturally the Bighorns are even cheaper, but with all the good things people have to say about the MTZ, I don't think I'll be able to resist them!

My MTRs still have about 9mm of thread left, but they make a huge noise at about 25MPH, sounds like a wheel bearing but it's definately the tyres - on the highway the noise is acceptable, it just that low speed rumbling noise that gets to me.

Back