• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

map adjuster/ tuning

jeep1947

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to build one and have the designs and know about them. Just wanted to start off with that.
My question is how do you know how far to adjust it? I have the 24# injectors ready to go in so I know the voltage will have to go down, but how do I set it right for my motor? Do I need to buy a autometer a/f gauge or is there a cheaper way?

What funkytee5 said. For a reference, I had the MAP adjuster set at 4.25v on my old 4.0 with ported head, 9.1:1 CR, 24lb ford injectors, and maxed out with bolt-on performance mods. On my 4.6 stroker with the same mods, Crane 753905 cam, and 9.25:1 CR, I have it set at 5.15v and the A/F ratios are optimized.

Ok, my jeep is set up almost exactly like dyno's was before the 4.6 except for the ported and milled head. And I would like to thank dyno for all the info because I am almost copying him. So I do need a AF meter which is what I thought, I have a 93 which is a ho2 sensor. So what gauge is recomended, Just a cheap autometer or do I need the wideband with the autometer? I think for now I might just guess and run 4.10v and adjust from there. thanks again funkytee and dyno.

An Autometer type A/F gauge and narrowband O2 sensor will give you an idea of where you're running at mixture wise. The wideband setup is most accurate and much more $$ Out of the box, I don't think a wideband will work with the Autometer gauge. I have seen some converter boxes available that will allow compatibility between the two though. :)

I set mine up on a CO emissions machine. I want to test it on the dyno when I get the new rig together.

jeep1947 said:
Ok, my jeep is set up almost exactly like dyno's was before the 4.6 except for the ported and milled head. And I would like to thank dyno for all the info because I am almost copying him. So I do need a AF meter which is what I thought, I have a 93 which is a ho2 sensor. So what gauge is recomended, Just a cheap autometer or do I need the wideband with the autometer?

The Autometer gauge with the factory narrow band o2 sensor will get you in the ballpark when adjusting the A/F mixtures at WOT. You need to set the MAP adjuster so that the gauge sits just inside the rich zone at WOT. Too rich and it'll cost you power as well as mpg.
Unfortunately the Autometer gauge isn't much use when adjusting the A/F mixture for idle and cruise (unless you have an export model like mine which doesn't have a factory O2 sensor and therefore stays in open loop all the time) so for that you'll need a wideband O2 sensor which is expensive.
Alternatively you can run your Jeep on the dyno and get A/F mixture readings from the exhaust tailpipe.

jeep1947 said:
Thanks for the info, I like the AEM setup alot. Does anyone know how much this would sell for, I did not find it on the site. I hope its not too bad, because I am on a poor student budget.
Unfortunately, it's not for poor students. Lowest I've seen it on the net is $377. My neighbor has connections and will be getting me one for much less. :laugh3:

K

Back