• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Many problems, Need Good Advice!

Have you pulled the diff cover or tried jacking it up and spinning one tire and see if othr tire spins in opposite direction.May have to get all 4 tires off ground for this,or pull front D.L.Also try spinning tire while turning tire R or L. to localize problem.

Last edited:
I agree that speedo itself is probably bad.Before my MTR's that I run now that i love, I ran 31 10.50 BFG A/T's on stock rims and got 50,000 plus out of them and was offroad every chance i could get,was very happy with them.It's looking like I will only get 30,000 If im lucky, from 33'' MTR's.

Last edited:
I would open the Diff Cover just to make sure nothing bad is happening inside. As far as swapping a CV style axle shaft for a u-joint style shaft I can’t help you to much but I can say that the parts catalog for a 1984 XJ does not spec a different case assembly so it could be possible to swap out the shafts. In my opinion a U-Joint shaft would be more robust for an off-road application. From what you’re describing it sounds like a bad CV joint you might take the shaft to a shop that rebuilds CV joints I have done that in the past with my Toyota Camry and had good results.

edwardsmr2002 said:
Instead of calling me names or stating the obvious, why not answer my questions? Its the internet dude, calm down a bit.

Now then, are those two different axles swappable?

can u take a pic of the CV and post here? or email it to me so i can post , we like pics.

and X2 on taking the diff cover off to take a look inside.

The other possibility (I thought it was mentioned before, but I don't see it) Different front gear ratio than rear. That will give you bind up. I will someday find out if they are swappable or not because I have a set from a '93 Grand Cherokee (putting them on my Comanche with the knuckles for larger, stronger front brakes and smoother cornering)

here is what ur axel shaft should look like.
yjconvert-1.jpg

this type of cv axle is more from a Grand cherokee, if u do order just make sure they know what u want other wise u might get a ujoint axle.

a new one should look like this , without the (antilock ring)

6a_1_b.JPG

edwardsmr2002 said:
Are you sure that no years came with cv joints on the front axle? It really looks like a cv joint, with a torn boot and grease leaking out. It looks nothing like any picture I've seen of a universal joint.

some of the early ones most certainly did but they suck and there is no reason to repair them when you can just swap normal ujoint axles in.

wagoneer's are generally the luxury vehicle when we talk XJ's and most are CV joint vehicles for drivability..... if you have a ripped boot the CV is probably shot. replace and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Back