• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Door Lock Mechanism

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm having a problem getting the door panels back on the front doors of a 97 XJ. I can get the panels on, but then there is some kind of interference between the actuating rods and the panels, apparently. On one side, the door closes, and opens, and it will lock using the key from the outside. The other side will close and open, but will not lock using the key. This is with the actuating rods for the door lock flipper in the panel unconnected. When the lock flippers in the doors are connected on either side, basically nothing works as far as the door mechanisms.

The panels have been on and off the doors more than a few times in the few years we've had it, and it is a salvage title. So it hasn't had an easy life, and I suspect the actuating rods are bent more than they should be. Also, there are two ways of routing the rods from the door to the lock flipper, and the door handle on the panel, and I"m not sure what is correct. I'm going to pull a rear door panel tomorrow(which I haven't @#$%ed with) and see if I can learn anything.

Anyone have any input, or pretty pictures that might help?

Thanks,

Fred

I do remember on my 2 dr 89 the rods in question go in the way that was the biggest pain in the butt. I had to put a tie wrap around it and tape it in place then work the door panel, then fetch the tie wrap out to get the position needed to install the handle/lock. A tricky, annoying operation. Sorry no pics.

Back