• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making my 2WD XJ 4WD

no_gamecocks said:
How 'bout "it's too far away." I can't believe you'd contemplate a 4wd conversion (axle, driveshafts, t-case, cutting the floorboard, etc) but would be unwilling to spend an hour installing a radiator and overflow botttle.
its also more than that.. have too much money put into this one already.. cant just let it go.. and.. yes its too far away, im only 17.. dont have time to go to FL to just get a car.. cant miss school..

There is also the thing that when i start on this 4WD conversion, ill have another car.. there wont be any rush so id rather take my time with it and find parts at a junk yard and get it done cheap and also learn somethin

Last edited:
So from what I gather, you paid $500 for a jeep that needed a trans rebuild, tires, radiator and a "whole new cooling system" (which means exactly what?) and you're only 17. You haven't got much money but you want to completely swap out your 2wd for a 4wd and if it takes you several years, that's ok because you have another car to drive. And it's assumed your folks are ok with the mess of the reconstruction for the duration of your xj education. Never mind the $1000 to $1500 you will need to spend on used parts, if you can find them, and the hours spent in locating and retreiving said parts. Never mind the extraneous issues which occur in a project of this scope that often baffle the most experienced mechanics. Granted, the educational experience you will gain from your efforts will be valuable, no doubt. But when you finish your xj later this year, or the one after, and you tally up the three grand in expenses and the countless hours intimately spent with a hunk of metal parts, you might reflect differently. Please don't get me wrong here. I love my xj and don't regret an hour of all the hours I've spent rebuilding it the first or second time nor of spending the $4700 I've got invested in a jeep that's worth less than 3 grand. A friend once told me that I'd be better off spending a little more now, buy close to what I want, and start playing with it sooner. I ignored the advice because I needed a hobby...a 4x4 hobby. Bottom line is, you could sell what you have now and buy a 4x4 and start from there rather than reinventing the wheel. And I know very few 17 year olds with the patience your project will require. Good luck in whatever you do.

Last edited:
This isnt just a project for me, my dad would be in for this project too. I guess it would be like a 4wd car for me and him.. and if i find that the cost is going to be in the thousands.. then i will just buy another one.. but all in all this project isnt in any rush so im not that worried about it.. i was just looking into some opinions on how i should go about this.. not why i shouldnt go about. Yes, im 17 but i have a lot of patience with cars.. If all you guys are gona do is bash me on what im saying, then dont respond at all. Thanks...

Hey-

You got a 2 door, just pick up a 4 door and slaughter it in the front yard...post the pics for the naysayers, pull your parts and run :dunno: I got my jeep with a bunch of boxes in the back...some stuff is there twice, some is missing, if all I had to do was swap an axle and transmission then it would be easy street, as long as you get all the big parts lying arround (moms love it if you leave the transmission on the kitchen table, trust me :gee: ) and take it from there!

Oh yeah, why would you trade a '91 for an '87? '91 has far better aftermarket options for the engine :clap:

NapaBavarian said:
Hey-

You got a 2 door, just pick up a 4 door and slaughter it in the front yard...post the pics for the naysayers, pull your parts and run :dunno: I got my jeep with a bunch of boxes in the back...some stuff is there twice, some is missing, if all I had to do was swap an axle and transmission then it would be easy street, as long as you get all the big parts lying arround (moms love it if you leave the transmission on the kitchen table, trust me :gee: ) and take it from there!

Oh yeah, why would you trade a '91 for an '87? '91 has far better aftermarket options for the engine :clap:

Thats what i was going to do, hah. i was just gona buy a POS 4dr jeep with 4wd and snatch the parts i need :D

To steve89,

Just go for it. One of the biggest and most important reasons I like working on my XJ is I can make it whatever I want with time and patients.

Have fun, learn and forget the nay sayers.

And post picks!!!

Just spent some of the day yesterday and about 4 hours this morning helping a local MJ'er convert his '88 to 4WD....all parts bought/traded from fellow Jeepers (and some dontaed :)) or out of the junkyard.

Guess what??? His MJ is now 4WD.

It ain't THAT hard to do, folks....

Jeff

Back