• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Main bearings and rod bearings

I agree with Hoss -- with a kit the bearings should be sized to the crank, but should be checked to be sure. As to the timing chain, you're correct that it has to come off to replace the crank so you might as well put in a new one. The XJ uses all steel gears, so all you really need is the chain -- you shouldn't need new sprockets, so it'll cost you the princely sum of $15 or so. Be sure you replace the front seal, too, but that's probab;y included in the crank shaft kit.

But seeing as that i have some blow by and rebuilding the bottom half is gonna make it tight, what do you guys think about buying a remanufactured motor and having a mechanic do it on the side?

$$$

If you have the money there is nothing like a complete rebuild. It's like starting the clock over. Did you do a compression check to get definitive numbers on how bad your top end is? There are alot of people out there wheelin' on very low compression so if money is the issue or if you don't plan on keeping your XJ much longer then just do the bottom end and relap your valves. If you have time, money and resources (machine shop connections, your own tools, friends with lots of time and like to work on your car) then do everything and put in the best parts you can afford. Remanufactured engines are great and affordable. I'm sure someone on this site can recommend something in your area.

I saw a reman long block with a limited 7 yr/70K warranty and the description of the machining and the new parts and brands of parts used all looked pretty good. $1130 and a core charge of $250. I think the address is auto-engines.com. If you want I can get the flyer I printed with the exact address. Said they had performance options too. I have been sort of beginning my plans for a rebuild down the road and the kit is $550-$600 then you'll need machining to do it right. The reman. long block is tempting.

old88xj said:
But seeing as that i have some blow by and rebuilding the bottom half is gonna make it tight, what do you guys think about buying a remanufactured motor and having a mechanic do it on the side?

As noted, a lot depends on how bad the blow-by is and how long to plan to keep the vehicle -- as well as whether it's a daily driver or a weekend warrior.

Replacing the crank and bearings is not a lower end rebuild and will not do anything to "tighten up" the blow-by. That's a function of rings, pistons and cylinder walls. It is possible to replace the rings in the vehicle, but to do it you would have to remove the head, and the new rings probably wouldn't seat in because the cylinders would not be bored to correct for out-of-round due to wear.

All the crank kit will do is give you a smooth crank shaft and decent oil pressure. It's a lot less money and a lot less work than replacing the engine, but if the new engine is what you really want or need, then do your homework on where to get one.

The blow by is not severe as far as i can tell. I wanna keep my heep but i don't wanna keep throwing money at it if it isn't gonna last me at least another year to a year and a half. It doesn't have to be a DD but i want it to be able to make it out of state for functions once i get it done. So if you guys say replacing the crank and bearings and the motor should be good to go seeing as how reliable the 4.0 I6 is then that is what i would probably do. I just like weighing all my options before i do anything.

Reasons for keeping:
Great rust free frame and body!!
30x9.5 BFG AT's have 85% tread left.
just installed home made light bar
been a faithful XJ for the last 2 years

Reasons for not keeping:
Blow by
needs new rear leaf pack
spent $680 and its still broke
wife wants to get rid of it

Decisions decisions decisions

My views and some clarifications- Forgive me if i repeat much of previous.

If a spun bearing, the crank needs to come outa the block...the engine needs to come out to do that. That connecting rod with the spun bearing needs to most likely be replaced, and all the others should be checked to see if they are okay. Is not possible for the big end of the rod to be in servicable shape if it's bearing spun. To replace/resize that connecting rod, the piston/rod combo needs to come out. To do that the head needs to come off. And while the head is off....

Should replace the timing chain as a set, that is the gears and chain. Is not possible to have 200k miles on the gears without wear pattern on the teeth from the old chain. Chains also vary in design and the gears to accommodate. In addition does not cost that much more to do the 3-pc.

Blow by can be a real problem. How often do you have to replace plugs due to oil fowling? Or how often have to add oil? These are the main two gauging indicators.

Keep us posted-

The blow by just started prior to taking it to the shop so i am not sure of the oil amnt and i have not had a chance to check the plugs. As to having to remove the head or the engine....You do not have to according to my mechanic....pull the timing gear and slide the transmission back but the motor and head stay put.

It did indeed spin a rod bearing...the one above #1 main bearing. I am gonna buy the crank kit which includes everything that i need to do the job along with a timing set and all the gaskets that i need. BUT what i NEED to know is with the exception of the blow by, will i have anymore problems. Is it worth me spending alot of $$$$$ on an 88 XJ auto 4.0 115K?
Will I be chasing down problem after problem? When i fix one thing another one breaks! Its becoming a money trap!

I know my questions can not really be answered but if this was your Heep what would you guys do? Fix it and go? Sell it? Part it out? Fix it then sell it? the WIFE wants to donate it and be rid of it but i can't bring myself to do that seeing as it has been totally faithful in the 2 years that i have owned it. Just really looking for opinions on this.

Let me be more clear....

If a rod bearing was spun, the connecting rod to which it corresponds will need to be replaced. That means pulling the head and removing that piston/rod. There is damage to the ROD as well as to that crank journal. That cyl bore will also need to be honed to seat the new rings that will be used with the old piston/new rod. While going in it that far, and the bores are confirmed to be in basically good shape, why not hone/re-ring the other five?

If that shop does not want to at least replace that connecting rod that had the bad bearing, i'd take it somewhere else- they do not know what they're doing.

This is the only way to do this job. Is really rather basic to engine diagnostics/rebuilding. If you are not willing to pay to have all this done, then it would be time to "part" with it i am afraid.

I'm going to disagree with Judd on this one. I've seen spun bearings that didn't damage the rod. I also checked in with my brother (a dealer service writer) and he said in his experience it's quite rare to see any damage to the rod. It is quite possible to replace the crank with the engine in the vehicle, and that's what I would do if it were mine.

Amazing......

Whew. I am often amazed at things some will try to get by with. Is rare to find a used rod big end that mics to good specs that HAS NOT EVEN SPUN A BEARING!! Then taking this to the extent of one that had spun!? I would NEVER put a new bearing on a rod that had spun...nor would i trust anyone who has. I stand by my word on this. I have been associated with the most extensive level of engine building and know what i am talking about. The level of compentency in the auto world has really gotten bad.

Eagle, you are not an auto tech, and i bet you have not even built an engine!! Sometimes i think you need to realize that your automotive knowledge does have its limits.

I am not angry with you eagle, but when it comes to the possibility of spending that much $$ on something so major, such drastic corners should never be cut. Perhaps is why i have built such a loyal success-driven cliental!!

Re: Amazing......

Judd W. VA said:
Eagle, you are not an auto tech, and i bet you have not even built an engine!! Sometimes i think you need to realize that your automotive knowledge does have its limits.

You're half right -- I am not an auto tech for a living. However, with all modesty I honestly believe I am a better tech than most of the guys out there who do it for a living. Which is why I do as much of my own work as possible.

I have indeed built engines. As I've posted here numerous times, both my brother and I crewed for many years on our friend's modified stock car. We also autocrossed and hill climbed extensively for a number of years. We built all the engines for the stock car, and I built my own engines for my autocrosser and hill climber. I've also rebuilt and repaired engines for my daily drivers.

I would not just toss in a bearing for a race engine, but for a street/trail engine that may not even be a daily driver and only has to live for a year or two ... I'd do it in a heartbeat, and I don't consider that any lowering of standards. I consider it value engineering. I think it would be a waste of money to either replace the engine or yank it out for a complete rebuild unless the intention is to keep the vehicle for at least 5 or 10 more years. Look at the age and value of the vehicle, and the cost of replacing or completely rebuilding the engine. The engine will be worth more than the vehicle, and if he tried to sell it a week after installing the new or rebuilt engine he could never get back his investment. Unless the truck has sentimental value like my original '88 does for me, and is still very straight and solid, it simply doesn't make economic sense to do that. It would make more sense to but another XJ for $2000 or $2500 and sell the one he has, either whole or for parts.

I fully recognize that my automotive knowledge has limits. Where those limits apply, I either don't offer an opinion or I clearly state that I'm guessing. In this case, I am not beyond my expertise nor am I guessing.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm two very valid and thoughtful points Judd and Eagle!
Replacing the motor is gonna cost me $1500 and a few weekends. The crank and such will cost me $500. Daily driver it doesn't have to be....reliable it does. like i stated above....The body and frame are rust free....interior is excellent, the motor until now was sound. The only problems i had with it were the power windows and locks and an exhaust manifold gasket that keeps blowing. but that is another thread. My mechanic feels it didn't do any damage to the rod itself just the bearing. I have already spent $700 to replace the rear main, oil pan gaskets, front crank seal, and oil pump just to find out that was a waste of money bc 130 miles after that i spun that bearing so if $500 gets me a reliable jeep then thats the way i am leaning.

JUDD
Thank you for you insight and opinions.....just how far are you away from Richmond??

EAGLE
What you says makes sense and thank you for your help also

Back