• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug nut question

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
Changing tires on my 99 Durango and with my luck i was able to screw up two lug studs on the same shaft. not my fault at all, both were cross threaded. one of them sheared off and there isnt enough material to screw it on. second one is just stripped for the first 1/8 of an inch or so. therefor i cant get a lug on either one.

This is a six lug axle, so can i drive with only 4 out of 6 lugs on untill i can have them fixed? might be a week or so.

Brett

You are in calif, that means it's what, 7:47 or 8:47 out there ? I forget with DSTime. Drive both studs out with a BFH or a big C clamp and socket and pop em out, jump in your jeep, hit a parts store and pickup a half dozen studs and some nuts too as well as a couple of thick washers. Put the stud thru from the back, put two washers on, then the nut and CRANK IT DOWN. It will pull the stud in to the flange, then put your wheel back on and keep an eye on it for week or so, retorqueing it daily. All that provided you have the space with the rotor on, if not pull the caliper and rotor, should have enough room then.
I would be careful if you do drive it as is, very careful.
We "had" a local kid that was going around loosening lugs, did it to my sons last year and the rear wheel came off, this time he did to to my duaghters and MINE, she lost a front at around 45 going up a steep hill or she would have been going faster. Found out he had been in a 'boot camp' jail and just got back out, this time I think he's in a real lock up type. I just know he's not around anymore.
Told the troopers that this was the second time this had happened and if I caught him on the property I'd call them and tell them where to pickup the body because as far as I was concerned he was trying to kill one of us.

8:47 hasn't occured yet but I sure wouldn't be up to going to the parts store (all close by 8 I think in my town anyway) at this hour, I wouldn't put it off past tomorrow though. Rich, good to hear the wheel vandalism has stopped in your neighborhood.

Rich, my first thought was trying to get them out somehow. The rear on the durango has drums and i was skeptical about the lug being able to be pushed out without hitting the brake pads. I also wasnt aware that they could just be knocked out with a hammer, i thought they had to be pressed out. looks like im going to try to get the parts tonight and fix it either tonight or tomorrow.

In that case, its sometimes easier because you have some distance to work with until the backing plate (rotate the axle to find a spot with room). Yep, just takes a clean blow with the BFH to get them out. Liquid soap seems real helpful to seat the new ones. I know the autozone (not in my town, 20 miles away) is open until some bizzare hour like midnight.

baja you are right, there is no clearance on the top or bottom but the middle has enough room to get the studs in and out. so i went to pep boys, closest and open later than kragen. got two new wheel studs and two new lugs. stopped by osh and got an 8lb sledge. the old studs took a few good smacks but overall came out relatively easy. i went to put the new ones in and they dont fit. the threads are the same as the other ones but the splined part that gets pressed in the hub(?) did come close to fitting, way to small. so i think my dad is going to try the dealer tomorrow.

Whats the best way to get the new ones in? from what ive read some liquid soap and enough washers so the lug can be bolted on and pull it in place?

Brett

87CherokeeChief said:
baja you are right, there is no clearance on the top or bottom but the middle has enough room to get the studs in and out. so i went to pep boys, closest and open later than kragen. got two new wheel studs and two new lugs. stopped by osh and got an 8lb sledge. the old studs took a few good smacks but overall came out relatively easy. i went to put the new ones in and they dont fit. the threads are the same as the other ones but the splined part that gets pressed in the hub(?) did come close to fitting, way to small. so i think my dad is going to try the dealer tomorrow.

Whats the best way to get the new ones in? from what ive read some liquid soap and enough washers so the lug can be bolted on and pull it in place?

Brett

Thats why I suggested you take a popped out lug with you :D Soap works well, as for installation, washers or an impact socket but keep the socket somewhat close in size to the stud so it supports the area around the hole in the flange.

Hmmmm....so thats what they're being taught in boot camp...."Lug Nut Removal 101".....glad to hear he was caught and even better your daughter didn't get hurt.

Back