• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LPD30 vs. HPD30

jester1084

NAXJA Member #1189
I know the LPD30 tends to be weaker, which sadly is what I have, but how much weaker is it really? I'm curious because I want to throw a locker in it but I don't want it to commit suicide after a few uses. If it isn't that much weaker I'm going to get the locker and wait to upgrade the whole axle until the Jeep isn't my DD anymore and I can afford to do a D44 set-up. Or do you think it would be better to just let the locker be until I upgrade the axle and instead put a locker in my rear Chrysler for now?

Thanks,
Mike

Tires are just 32's right now and probably won't be getting much bigger until after the whole college deal and DD. If I can afford it I want to try to get a selectable but not really sure what locker yet.

you can pick up a HP 30 at a junkyard or from a local jeeper REAL cheap, I know I've given them away. upgrade it using some of the parts off your LP and then lock that up when you get the chance. I sucked it up and got an ARB up front and I'm glad I did, I am a firm believer in selectables up front.

I'll have to see what I can find, the only reason I'm somewhat hesitant about that is I've already got my 4.56 gears set up in my current axle. But I'll have to look into it... either that or I'll just lock up my rear for now and save my pennies for a beefy front down the road. Thanks

Everything but the gears are interchangable,I havent broke anything yet(knock on wood)!

I tend not to be too rough on it right now seeing as it is my DD and all... so I guess I'll see if I can find a real cheap HP30 or just lock the rear and be gentle on the front and take care of it later.

TJ guys lock the LP30 all the time, and also run bigger meats (35's) without a bat of the eye it seems. I don't think you should worry about the HP vs LP strength issue. The increase in strength is a nice side benefit to having a HP30 but the real benefit of a HP30 is the driveshaft clearance and pinion angle.

i gave my LP30 with a Detroit, 4.56's and 35's a good beating and never had a problem other than going through axle joints.the yokes will stretch causing the cups to let lose,once that happens the axle shafts are toast.

Back