• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to get an XJ - need some advice plz

chazlink

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding the best years of XJ for my new fun ride. Any help that anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently looking to get an XJ as a daily driver and to do some mild offroading (mostly mud and some shallow swamp - I live in FL so no rock crawling). I am thinking of a 91-99 model as I want to so some aftermarket mods - but at this point until I learn more they will be mainly cosmetic (basic lift, larger tires, roof rack, etc). I may upgrade drivetrain components at a later date, but for now I need a model that can handle a lift on OEM equipment.

Also, I prefer manual transmission, but with 4 doors. I am not sure if Jeep ever made a 4 door manual (I know they made 2 Doors) and if they did I am having real trouble finding 'em. I think the 4 doors is the most important, and driving an automatic is not a dealbreaker, but I know how to install and maintain a clutch, so I am certainly more comfortable when it comes to repairs with a 5 speed. However, I understand that the 90s 4.0 with AW4 tranny is pretty bulletproof. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

So basically I am looking for a reliable, fun, offroader that I can work on and cosmetically mod fairly easy, that spends more time on the road than in the shop. I don't mind spending money to keep it well maintained, I just don't want it to be a money pit as far as just getting it to run.

Any suggestions? All opinions and help will be MUCH appreciated. Thank you all so much for your valuable time and help.

Also, how many miles can one expect (on average) for a good XJ automatic transmission?

chazlink said:
Hello all,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding the best years of XJ for my new fun ride. Any help that anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently looking to get an XJ as a daily driver and to do some mild offroading (mostly mud and some shallow swamp - I live in FL so no rock crawling). I am thinking of a 91-99 model as I want to so some aftermarket mods - but at this point until I learn more they will be mainly cosmetic (basic lift, larger tires, roof rack, etc). I may upgrade drivetrain components at a later date, but for now I need a model that can handle a lift on OEM equipment.

Also, I prefer manual transmission, but with 4 doors. I am not sure if Jeep ever made a 4 door manual (I know they made 2 Doors) and if they did I am having real trouble finding 'em. I think the 4 doors is the most important, and driving an automatic is not a dealbreaker, but I know how to install and maintain a clutch, so I am certainly more comfortable when it comes to repairs with a 5 speed. However, I understand that the 90s 4.0 with AW4 tranny is pretty bulletproof. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

So basically I am looking for a reliable, fun, offroader that I can work on and cosmetically mod fairly easy, that spends more time on the road than in the shop. I don't mind spending money to keep it well maintained, I just don't want it to be a money pit as far as just getting it to run.

Any suggestions? All opinions and help will be MUCH appreciated. Thank you all so much for your valuable time and help.

Also, how many miles can one expect (on average) for a good XJ automatic transmission?

First of all this, is the Religon forum. Just kiddin'. I have an '01 and love it. As far as the manual, just take your time and search and you should be able to find one. My auto is just fine for me, and my manual in my TJ is great too. Your choice. Just a suggestion, try to find an XJ w/ the 8.25 in the rear. You'll be happy you did.

Hey man thanks for the quick reply!

Ok, now I am going to show my total newbie-ness. How do I tell if it has the 8.25? I assume this is for more HP?

8.25 is the rear axle, quick way, it's flat on the bottom, a D35 is round. If it has ABS it's a D35. The SE models came with 5 speeds, they were the basic model XJ with a 4.0L. Problem you will run into down there is you will be finding 2WD models and not so many 4WD. I'd do a quick search on autotrader.com and start expanding the distances.
As for a lift being cosmetic, ha, wait till you pull the front leaf pack out of it's mounts....
Have fun and welcome

Front leaf pack?..... SH@T im missing somthing here.

leaf pack on the front of an XJ?...someone wanna fill me in

i learn somthing every day:D

Hehe I think he was referring to my comment on a cosmetic lift rather than doing it the right way.

Anyway, thanks for all of the great feedback guys.

So as of now I am pretty much looking from 91 - 99. I know that doesn't narrow it down too much but at least it is a starting point. I might actually forego the manual transmission for the auto also, due to the ease of finding them and the solid reputation of the 4.0/AW4.

Any additional comments are more than welcome and appreciated.

red90xj said:
Front leaf pack?..... SH@T im missing somthing here.

leaf pack on the front of an XJ?...someone wanna fill me in

i learn somthing every day:D

Refering to the bolt on the front of the leaf pack. Can be a bitch to get out.

Hey all,

Tremendous feedback. Thank you so much for all of your time. So I've got my eye on some good 92-99 XJs that are right in my price range.

Ok - now time to show more true newbie-ness. When I am shopping for a place to add a lift/tires, will I need to go with a 3" body lift or a full on suspension lift? Once again, no rock crawling here, only mud/swamp off road, and at first probably minimal at that as this will also be my daily driver, but I want to put on 31-33" tires that are a bit wider than stock (10.5-11 perhaps). Please don't flame if what I am asking is totally rediculous...I am a newb when it comes to modding cars.

I would love to do the lift myself, but I understand that is a pretty tough process that can ruin the truck it not done properly.

I guess basically what it boils down to is 1) do i need to get a suspension or body lift, and 2) can the job be done by me or better to take it to a 4x4 shop?

Thanks again all for the amazing input!

chazlink said:
Hey all,

Tremendous feedback. Thank you so much for all of your time. So I've got my eye on some good 92-99 XJs that are right in my price range.

Ok - now time to show more true newbie-ness. When I am shopping for a place to add a lift/tires, will I need to go with a 3" body lift or a full on suspension lift? Once again, no rock crawling here, only mud/swamp off road, and at first probably minimal at that as this will also be my daily driver, but I want to put on 31-33" tires that are a bit wider than stock (10.5-11 perhaps). Please don't flame if what I am asking is totally rediculous...I am a newb when it comes to modding cars.

I would love to do the lift myself, but I understand that is a pretty tough process that can ruin the truck it not done properly.

I guess basically what it boils down to is 1) do i need to get a suspension or body lift, and 2) can the job be done by me or better to take it to a 4x4 shop?

Thanks again all for the amazing input!

Suspension only. XJ's are unibody's. You can't put a BL on a unibody.

Just my two cents, but if you want a manual hold out to find one. I wanted a 2 door with the 4.0 high output and stick. I settled for an automatic and it is the only thing I wish was different. As for the years you will want to buy the newest one with the least amount of miles that you can afford. If you are going to lift it for looks primarily, you will want to keep it to 3" as with a larger lift you will need a slip yoke eliminator, custom driveshafts, and regearing which will make it much more expensive.

jeepinxj01 said:
HA!! No offense to our newbie friend but I doubt he has the capability or the ability to do that. :moon:
psh, just takes a lot of work. hahaha

Anyway to the OP here, get 89, IMO best year for the XJ

Chaz, I just bought my 98 cherokee (xj) limited. Since I have done a ton of research I don't mind takin' a minute to impart. First of all, I would go any older that a 1990. I happen to have an older 90 with 230,000 miles on it. 96 was the last year of the old style interior (which I kind of dig) and 97 was the beginning of the new interior. The pro's to a 90-96 would have to be that they tend to have a more rugged interior. The 97 -2001's while having a cheaper interior have an upgraded frame (much more stiff) and are all around just better engineered ( mechanically speaking). My recommendation would be to go 97 or newer unless you aren't willing to spend that much for a newer model. I got a deal on my 98 with 59k for $7000.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions

-Daniel

Back