• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for advice

Atomisk

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so here is the deal, my brother is a doctor who is going to be doing a three year humanitarian trip to Africa and through the use of strong liquor and promise of adventure has managed to get me to tag-along. I did 10 years as a Navy Corpsman (medic) with a marine infantry unit, so I will going with him as an nurse/handy man/ security/ everything besides doctor. Besides me we will be taking our 2000 jeep Cherokee from high school.

This is where you guys come in I have one year to get this bad boy converted from a two wheel drive to a four wheel drive and the frame damage on the front right side repaired without breaking the bank.

Also anyone on this forum who has been to the not so nice parts of Africa a heads up on what to expect would be nice.

Thanks for any advice

Quicker and easier, sell it and get a already 4x4 xj. Then just a simple 2" budget lift(I'd do shackle relocator for rear for a more plush ride for those unintended roads there) and start looking at Ryan's jeep(nightfoam) he's made his more for expedition than rock crawling.

If I was in your shoes, I'd leave the XJ state side. Purchase a vehicle when you get over there, and sell it after your time is over. While XJ's are dime a dozen over here, I have to wonder how common parts are over there (sensors, bearings, etc). Not to mention the hassle of shipping a vehicle half way across the world.

Land Cruisers seem to be pretty plentiful in those regions. More interior space, offered with diesels, and are very reliable.

img_1195-jpg.685034

Sounds like a pretty cool adventure.

If I was in your shoes, I'd leave the XJ state side. Purchase a vehicle when you get over there, and sell it after your time is over. While XJ's are dime a dozen over here, I have to wonder how common parts are over there (sensors, bearings, etc). Not to mention the hassle of shipping a vehicle half way across the world.

Land Cruisers seem to be pretty plentiful in those regions. More interior space, offered with diesels, and are very reliable.

img_1195-jpg.685034

Sounds like a pretty cool adventure.

I like this idea.

4x4 swap is not all that big of a deal if you wrench. You would need a trans, transfercase, shift linkage, driveshaft, and a 94-98 xj dana 30.

Do you know what rear axle you have? If d35 then you might as well swap the rear as well to an 97+ 8.25.

However. If you dont wrench, or dont feel confident in your mechanical ability then see above. Sell it and find something that is 4x4 already. I hate to say it but toyota might be a better bet in that part of the world.

I think I will ditch this old jeep and move to a 4wd. But the main reason I am taking a jeep is because parts are a dime s dozen over there also the group that is sending us over doesn't want us buying big stuff like cars for insurance reasons.

Back