• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a tactical light

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
For my Mossberg 500 with Laserlyte Tri-Rail mount.
I like this one for the combo of laser and light for a low price but can't tell if it will fit my setup. It says its for handguns and most firearms. One review used it on an AR15.

I would love Surefire, but can't justify the $100+ price tag for use on a home defense weapon. Maybe if I was storming terrorist hideouts or getting invaded regularly...:D

I just put this on my maveric 88, (pretty much a 500).

http://www.amazon.com/Tacstar-Weapo...1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336069807&sr=8-2-fkmr1

IMG_20120404_221319.jpg

I don't see the need for a laser on a shotgun with a bright light.

............I don't see the need for a laser on a shotgun with a bright light.

I was thinking the same thing... I guess you could ghetto fab a "targeting" set up by duct taping a small mini-mag light under your barrel. Where ever the light shines within 30 or so yards, that is your hit zone....... :dunce:

I just think lasers are cool. And if the one I linked to works, it gets me a decent light with a laser for less than the other posted one. :D

But forget about the laser, the laser is irrelevant. I want a good light that will work with the rail I have on there. Preferably with a pressure switch option so I can be somewhat sneaky if need be.

I would love Surefire, but can't justify the $100+ price tag for use on a home defense weapon. Maybe if I was storming terrorist hideouts or getting invaded regularly...:D

Do not get a surefire. Unless you just enjoy wasting money. There's nothing wrong with them necessarily, it's just that you can get a much better light for a small fraction of the cost of a surefire.

Fenix lights are high quality, well designed, and an excellent value. I love mine. Here's a start, but there are several combos that would work:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=468&products_id=2909

Other than Fenix, Streamlight's are also good and won't break the bank.

Do not get a surefire. Unless you just enjoy wasting money. There's nothing wrong with them necessarily, it's just that you can get a much better light for a small fraction of the cost of a surefire.

Fenix lights are high quality, well designed, and an excellent value. I love mine. Here's a start, but there are several combos that would work:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=468&products_id=2909

Other than Fenix, Streamlight's are also good and won't break the bank.

I don't know about "wasting money" buying a Surefire - but I have a few.

I've had one of their polymer-body G2s for about 18 years now. It's outlasted two Streamlights, several Maglites, been run over by a truck several times, dropped down vent shafts, and Gawd only knows what else (because I haven't kept track.)

In eighteen years, I've put exactly two bulbs in it. I'd convert it to LED, but it's my "working light" - the polymer case is easier on my teeth when I have to free my hands up than the MIL hard anno on my 6P (which I've had even longer, it's been through more, and the second bulb I put in it was an LED conversion - the put the old incandescent bult - which still worked just fine, thank you very much! - in the spares box for my G2.)

Don't get me wrong - Streamlight does do a good lamp (I have a couple,) but Surefire wins with me hands down. Yes, it costs more - but you're not "wasting money," you do get what you're paying for. I have yet to figure out how to kill a Surefire.

However, if you're going with a "home defense" light, I will suggest that you get something that runs on CR123A lithium batteries - not conventional alkalines, and not rechargables (unless you're going to keep the rechargable battery in a charger when you're not using it.)

I had a box of a dozen cells (yes, Surefire - they cost less than anything I can find locally, and have higher power density anyhow) that I bought when I got SureFire lights - just as an experiment. I wrote the date on it, then put it on the shelf for ten years.

Once a year, I pulled out a pair of batteries and tested them - after they'd been sitting for ten years doin' nothin'.

The last set of batteries (sixteen years later) had about a 1.5% drop in power over the first set of batteries (after ten years' idle time!) and the first set (ten-year) was about 0.5% off from a fresh set (est. 1 month old.)

And, I can get a dozen of them for what three or four Duracell or Energizer CR123A cells would cost locally. I didn't do a longevity test with the conventional brands (didn't have that much money floating around,) but I did buy a pair and do a comparison - the fresh SureFires were better than the Energizers by about 18% total output (as I recall,) and the 16-year-old batteries beat the fresh commercials by 15% or so.

Check eBay for deals on SureFire batteries - that's how I score them (usually by the half-gross. I've got a number of projects that I've adapted CR123A battery packs for. Light, high energy density, high longevity - why shouldn't I?)

I have another G2 that lives in the nightstand next to my 1991A1, and I pick it up about once every six months to see if I need to change the batteries in it. I do that about once every five years, just out of habit (put fresh batteries in the "defense light," and roll those down into the 6P that I normally carry with me.)

I have a 3D Mag in my truck - I change the batteries in that every six months, whether they need it or not (they usually do.) A Mag is handy in its own right, but it's a matter of using the right tool for the job.

Lights I have around here?
- Surefire G2 (yellow, LED conversion, hers.)
- Surefire G2 (black, incandescent, mine, work light)
- Surefire 6P (MIL black hard anno, LED conversion, mine)
- Surefire Z3 (MIL black hard anno, LED conversion, mine)
- Surefire Helmetlight (makes a handy little LED work light)
- Streamlight Sidewinder (2AA, white/red/green/blue. Useful signal lamp)
- Streamlight Sidewinder Compact (CR123A, white/red/blue/IR. I don't use the IR, but it's smaller than the sidewinder - and more useful in its way. I use it as a taillamp on my bicycle)
- Streamlight Stylus (black anno, white LED, AAAA batteries. Came with the mine probe kit I was issued.)
- Streamlight TwinTask (Xenon/LED, 2xCR123A. Handy little light, lives in my "mobile office bag.")
- Mag 3D (truck light)
- Mag 2C (car light, hers)

I haven't had a chance to play around with the Fenix lights yet (although reports from the field on them are good,) and I don't like to even think about the knockoffs out there (Angelfire, Solarfire, Solarforce, Spiderfire, et al,) and that list isn't even all of the lights I've had (I had to give back my M6, for instance. I'd like another one, a handheld light that bright can come in very handy!)

Surefire gives excellent value for the money, if you're going to need it. If you're not, then there's nothing wrong with Streamlight (which I've used) or Fenix (from what I've gathered.) But, it does pay to be picky about critical gear...

I have a streamlight pt2l and love it. Yeah, its not a surefire but its a damn nice light and brighter than hell.

I just think lasers are cool. And if the one I linked to works, it gets me a decent light with a laser for less than the other posted one. :D

But forget about the laser, the laser is irrelevant. I want a good light that will work with the rail I have on there. Preferably with a pressure switch option so I can be somewhat sneaky if need be.
Correct. The Laser is irrelevant. What is important is the shark.

I don't know about "wasting money" buying a Surefire - but I have a few.

I've had one of their polymer-body G2s for about 18 years now. It's outlasted two Streamlights, several Maglites, been run over by a truck several times, dropped down vent shafts, and Gawd only knows what else (because I haven't kept track.)

In eighteen years, I've put exactly two bulbs in it. I'd convert it to LED, but it's my "working light" - the polymer case is easier on my teeth when I have to free my hands up than the MIL hard anno on my 6P (which I've had even longer, it's been through more, and the second bulb I put in it was an LED conversion - the put the old incandescent bult - which still worked just fine, thank you very much! - in the spares box for my G2.)

Don't get me wrong - Streamlight does do a good lamp (I have a couple,) but Surefire wins with me hands down. Yes, it costs more - but you're not "wasting money," you do get what you're paying for. I have yet to figure out how to kill a Surefire.

However, if you're going with a "home defense" light, I will suggest that you get something that runs on CR123A lithium batteries - not conventional alkalines, and not rechargables (unless you're going to keep the rechargable battery in a charger when you're not using it.)

I had a box of a dozen cells (yes, Surefire - they cost less than anything I can find locally, and have higher power density anyhow) that I bought when I got SureFire lights - just as an experiment. I wrote the date on it, then put it on the shelf for ten years.

Once a year, I pulled out a pair of batteries and tested them - after they'd been sitting for ten years doin' nothin'.

The last set of batteries (sixteen years later) had about a 1.5% drop in power over the first set of batteries (after ten years' idle time!) and the first set (ten-year) was about 0.5% off from a fresh set (est. 1 month old.)

And, I can get a dozen of them for what three or four Duracell or Energizer CR123A cells would cost locally. I didn't do a longevity test with the conventional brands (didn't have that much money floating around,) but I did buy a pair and do a comparison - the fresh SureFires were better than the Energizers by about 18% total output (as I recall,) and the 16-year-old batteries beat the fresh commercials by 15% or so.

Check eBay for deals on SureFire batteries - that's how I score them (usually by the half-gross. I've got a number of projects that I've adapted CR123A battery packs for. Light, high energy density, high longevity - why shouldn't I?)

I have another G2 that lives in the nightstand next to my 1991A1, and I pick it up about once every six months to see if I need to change the batteries in it. I do that about once every five years, just out of habit (put fresh batteries in the "defense light," and roll those down into the 6P that I normally carry with me.)

I have a 3D Mag in my truck - I change the batteries in that every six months, whether they need it or not (they usually do.) A Mag is handy in its own right, but it's a matter of using the right tool for the job.

Lights I have around here?
- Surefire G2 (yellow, LED conversion, hers.)
- Surefire G2 (black, incandescent, mine, work light)
- Surefire 6P (MIL black hard anno, LED conversion, mine)
- Surefire Z3 (MIL black hard anno, LED conversion, mine)
- Surefire Helmetlight (makes a handy little LED work light)
- Streamlight Sidewinder (2AA, white/red/green/blue. Useful signal lamp)
- Streamlight Sidewinder Compact (CR123A, white/red/blue/IR. I don't use the IR, but it's smaller than the sidewinder - and more useful in its way. I use it as a taillamp on my bicycle)
- Streamlight Stylus (black anno, white LED, AAAA batteries. Came with the mine probe kit I was issued.)
- Streamlight TwinTask (Xenon/LED, 2xCR123A. Handy little light, lives in my "mobile office bag.")
- Mag 3D (truck light)
- Mag 2C (car light, hers)

I haven't had a chance to play around with the Fenix lights yet (although reports from the field on them are good,) and I don't like to even think about the knockoffs out there (Angelfire, Solarfire, Solarforce, Spiderfire, et al,) and that list isn't even all of the lights I've had (I had to give back my M6, for instance. I'd like another one, a handheld light that bright can come in very handy!)

Surefire gives excellent value for the money, if you're going to need it. If you're not, then there's nothing wrong with Streamlight (which I've used) or Fenix (from what I've gathered.) But, it does pay to be picky about critical gear...

I should take a picture of the thickness of the aluminum on my Fenix TK20, it's ridiculous. And considering that that light was around $30, you could buy a half a dozen or more of them for the cost of one surefire that's not even going to be as bright.

Speaking of durability, while working on my Jeep, my Inova X03 kept turning off while I was trying to use it. It would stay on for just a few seconds then while in the middle of wrenching, it would turn off. Frustrating to say the least. I lost my cool and threw the thing straight into the bare concrete floor as hard as I could - and having been a pitcher for many years, I have a pretty good arm :D I found out later that it was the crappy Radio Shack batteries that were in it that was causing it to shut off like it was doing. Put new batteries in it - wahbam. Still works, just like when it was new. I was very shocked and impressed that I hadn't somehow cracked the lens, the reflector, or somehow dislodged the circuit board or something.

I also had a cheap $20 Nebo. I bought it because it was the first led flashlight I had seen with an adjustable projector beam. And it had a magnetic base, ran on AAA's, so I figured it would be a good shop/work light. I was taking advantage of the magnetic base while repairing a drive gear on a TD8C bulldozer and apparently I left it stuck to the bottom of the top side of the tracks because I couldn't find it for a while. Well, my grandpa found it while brush hogging a field. Heard a clink and happened to see it flying away from the tractor. When I got it back, it had an abrasion where a brush hog blade had apparently hit it, and apparently it took a long ride in the track of the dozer because there was a flat spot worn into the bezel. And that light also survived and still works like the day it was new. It certainly doesn't still look new however :farmer:

My point is, most quality LED flashlights are extremely durable. Thus dropping several hundred bucks into them is, IMO, a waste of money.

I realize that this is still just anecdotal evidence at best, but still, I think it's very telling.

x2 Nothing wrong with a sure fire just there are equal or better lights out there for less. The last time I purchased a tac style led light it was between EagleTac and Fenix. I went with Eagletac, but right now I can't remember what made that decision. Both very good lights though.

For my Mossberg 500 with Laserlyte Tri-Rail mount.
I like one for the combo of laser and light for a low price but can't tell if it will fit my setup. It says its for handguns and most firearms. One review used it on an AR15.

Not at all bad is $100 price tag. I will surely go with it. Do you know some other best deals?:wave::wave:

I own and use FIVE Surefire lights: Minimus--headlamp for working, Executive Defender daily carry, and three Millenium weapons lights--5.56 Car-15 9mm Car-15 (both 3-cel lights) and a two cel on my Ithaca M37.

Only the Minimus was bought new, for $104, all of the others cost about $70-90 on eBay including the shipping.

Fenix's headlamp is twice as bright, has almost double the run time, runs on AA's instead of lithiums, and is half the cost of the Surefire headlamp.

Again, you can get a Fenix that is way brighter, has the same and/or more features as the Surefire E2D, and runs on conventional batteries rather than very expensive lithiums. $150 bucks for a 200 lumen pocket light? No thank you.

And don't even get me started on their Millenium lights... $300+ for a 150 lumen "weapon light"???

I'm still waiting on a good reason to pay 2-3 times as much for a Surefire I guess would be my point.

Fenix's headlamp is twice as bright, has almost double the run time, runs on AA's instead of lithiums, and is half the cost of the Surefire headlamp.

Again, you can get a Fenix that is way brighter, has the same and/or more features as the Surefire E2D, and runs on conventional batteries rather than very expensive lithiums. $150 bucks for a 200 lumen pocket light? No thank you.

And don't even get me started on their Millenium lights... $300+ for a 150 lumen "weapon light"???

I'm still waiting on a good reason to pay 2-3 times as much for a Surefire I guess would be my point.

Because, out of all the portable lamps I've owned, I have YET to figure out how to kill a SureFire - and I've put some effort into it! It's worth it to me...

I have a couple of Surefire lights and I really like them. Can't say how they hold up versus another brand but I'm satisfied with them.

I agree that they're good lights, and durable. The problem is, that I could say the same about all the Fenix's I've owned - I've yet figure out how to kill a Fenix.

And before you ask, yes, I take them on more (but including) than camping trips. Including in the field for the Army, and my sole duty light in law enforcement for 4 years now. I'm talking handheld, weapon lights, and headlamps here.

And it seems pretty shady that surefire doesn't advertise range on their lights. For such a "renowned" company, you would think you could find such basic specifications. Makes it pretty hard to chose a weapon light. Whereas my Fenix TK-15 reaches 250 meters and costs less than $100 bucks. It's lived on a semi-auto 12 gauge shooting 00 buck and slugs and held up just fine. Surefire's "long range" weapons lights are 6-800 bucks :roflmao:

I'm very satisfied with my streamlight pt2l. Fits nicely in my pocket and is freaking bright! It has taken a beating too

Back