• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a job, starting, umm....NOW...

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Well, looks like I'm job hunting for something that will serve as a learning experience, a resume' enhancement, and a money maker. Let's just say I'm taking a forced leave of absence from school and need to do something constructive with my time between now and the summer session. That's about 5 months give or take, i.e. I'm not looking for permanent employement, but rather more of an internship type deal.

Looking for something in engineering/metal fab/machining....

Here's a brief list of skills, email me if you want a resume' or think you can help me in some way, thanks [email protected]

Proficient in MS Office except Access(have piddled in it before, but nothing extensive) I have lots of experience with Excel and Word.
Otherwise very computer literate from an end-user perspective.
3 summers' experience in construction site management
3 summers' experience in construction estimating(including extensive work with blueprints and a digitizer)
All around handy with tools and fab. equipment. Have taken a welding/metalworking class at school and can weld decently.

Best of all I am WILLING AND ABLE TO TRAVEL(assuming the job will cover living expenses etc.), preferably west of the Mississippi, I've seen this side of the country, I'd like to see more of the other side. Please let me know if you know of anything or can help me in some way. I need to get on my feet and start making some money. Thanks again.

Arya Ebrahimi
NAXJA Member #526

No offense but, being an office manager and higher of drivers for my company......

Let's just say I'm taking a forced leave of absence from school

This sends up bells and whistles to me! Just trying to offer some constructive critisism. I talked to you some at the crawl this year you may or may nt remember! Good luck! Also, what type of work are you looking for? Have you looked into these new fangled online job search servises? I know my spelling is terriable! HTH!

ghost, what are you saying by, "this sends up bells and whistles"? I literally just found out about the school thing yesterday so I haven't really looked anywhere yet. The fact of the matter is that I bombed two of my finals which really dragged my GPA down and I was put on academic suspension for a semester. My overall GPA is a 1.92 and it needs to be a 2.00 for this not to have happened. Really wasn't expecting this, thought my grades were gonna be a lot better. I'm not trying to hide this fact, just not real proud of it, y'know? Basically, I just need to find something to do that will motivate me to get my butt in gear when I get back to school, and hopefully something that will improve the resume' at the same time.

John-boy, nothing against the military, quite a few friends of mine have joined up, but I really don't think it's for me. Thanks

Ary

Ok, this isnt a personal knock on you Ary, just my curiosity. How in the world do you get below a C average? I am not the smartest person, and I tend to slack, but I still pull above a B avg. And my major isnt some easy one like CJ or poly sci. Did you just not show to class, or were the finals the basis of your grade? If it was the finals part, then I can understand that. Hope all goes well for you.

Fergie

I'm puzzled as to your "forced leave of absence" being attributed to academic probation. I understood academic probation to be that you had another semester (or quarter) to get your act together (surpass 2.0 threshold) and things would be hunky-dory again.

Is there any way to take a "lighter" academic load (ie simple GE stuff, a welding class, etc)...courses you KNOW you can pass at least for the next semester to bring your GPA back up?

Your situation was the story of my early college life (25 years ago though)..... too much partying (hey it was the 70's) and not enough effort into school. I got put on academic probation for a quarter, took some easier classes to pull myself back up, sunk into my old habits again the following quarter, back on academic probation again. Then... I met my wife. That set my priorities straight as she was the one thing I didn't want to mess up. Buckled down, and finally graduated with a 2.9 GPA, but I did graduate the at the same time the dude with the 4.0 and ulcers did... so moderation in everything you do.

Moral of my long winded story... don't bail out on school to "find yourself"... it's damn hard to get back in. Slap yourself a few times, push yourself away from the keyboard (that is not school related) and focus on what you really want out of life in the future. Stay in school at all costs...

Oh yeah, the motivation of my life is still married to me after 26 years, and I owe a lot my success to her...

Ivan pretty much said it all. If you leave, you'll find it VERY hard to start back up.

Ary,

Do whatever it takes to stay in school, Ivan has it right. Been there done that myself. Find someone who knows you well and have them kick your ass back in gear if you can't do it yourself. All college really will prove to yourself and others is that you can commit to something and get the job done. The rest of the learning crap is just a piece of paper. Stay with it, beg, grovel whatever to keep the effort up.

mark

Ary'01XJ said:
John-boy, nothing against the military, quite a few friends of mine have joined up, but I really don't think it's for me. Thanks

Ary

Ary,

Nothing against civilians, quite a few friends of mine have stayed civilians, but 99.1475% of them either don't qualify or lack the intestinal fortitude/balls to be in the military. Thanks

Just busting your chops, but hearing you say that reminded me of my Recruiter days......I wasn't so easy on them.

Have you cut the Umbilical cord yet?......

that was my favorite saying...

Ary,

Don't know what everyone else's experience is or circumstances. Do this though. Take all of this for what it's worth and in the end make your own decision. Some of these people have been out of school for a while and if anything like myself (graduated in 1996), decisions seemed to be easier back then (hindsight being 20/20). By your email it looks like you are at Virginia Tech? Here are my thoughts on the matter. Go into community college and work part time. You need time to decide on what you are doing via life experience. I know plenty of people that left early AND went back once they were ready. It really is a matter of being in the right mindset. Just because the accepted age for college entry is 18/19 doesn't mean that is when everyone should go.

You can work part time and knock out some of your core curriculum at a community college where there is less distraction. This will a) help get your GPA back up and b) help you gain focus on what you want to do.

Fact of the matter is I have been a recruiter/headhunter for years and in some pretty tight markets. From entry level up to executive and the people I have brought on don't have a pattern as far as the education is concerned, i.e. 4-year university frat etc. They are individuals who demonstrated a real understanding or introspective moment at some point in their life and took it upon themselves to make a change for their own betterment. Associates from a CC, finish at a four-year institution in a major you enjoy. It WON'T be a struggle.

Good luck.

John-Boy said:
Ary,

Nothing against civilians, quite a few friends of mine have stayed civilians, but 99.1475% of them either don't qualify or lack the intestinal fortitude/balls to be in the military. Thanks

Just busting your chops, but hearing you say that reminded me of my Recruiter days......I wasn't so easy on them.

Have you cut the Umbilical cord yet?......

that was my favorite saying...
That's funny, I would picture going into the military to AVOID school and a 9-5 job AND still get paid (minnimum wage at best) an umbilical cord! ;) STOP IT I'm just messing with ya. Ary is right though, it's just not for some people, just like college, RIGHT?

Understand the military is not for everyone, although it will definitely teach you discipline and motivation. How about Americorps? I think the minimum time is a year, but you get to see some country, meet people who may not have the same advantages you do, and make some school money as well.

:lecture: If I may rant a little, I think too few people have had jobs that were more about serving others than serving themselves. Good for one's soul in my opinion.

I also agree that if there is a way to stay in school, that would be the best option. Big difference between academic probation and academic suspension though. Maybe you could practice your negotiating skills with the guidance counselor.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Ary.....

I know yer a smart cookie. That comes through any time I've ever talked to you.

the trick is, trying to convince your professors of that through all those damn tests and papers!

I know you are probably getting agro'd reading these responces.....

but they're right!

believe me!

heed the suggestions and advice!

I know the leave is "forced" sounds like you are citing school policy.....

I'll bet, if you have a couple sit-downs with your professors and/or advisers, you will be able to work out some kind of deal to stay....There was an option at my university to declare up to two courses "incomplete" and you had the next semester to "satisfy" requirements...

see if something like this exisits....

once you leave, it is almost impossible to return......

ary, stay in school.

the work world will still be here.

Ok, first off, let me say that I appreciate the pep-talks guys. It's good to know there are people that care enough to take the time to put their feelings into words for me, however short they may be. With that said, I will give you a little history.

Last fall I screwed up big time, gf at the time was really messing with my head, my heart wasn't in school, and I ended the semester with a 1.04 GPA. I came home for break and ended up staying and going to CC for spring semester, lived at home, and worked. Grades were ok, not spectacular, but I wanted to go back to Tech, so I went. This semester same gf was again messing with my head(she's finally gone for good this time), but my heart still wasn't in school. I was doing really well up till mid-terms, but then I just kinda fell apart. I stopped going to my classes on a regular basis and pretty much just wasn't interested. Then about 5 weeks before the semester ended(a week or so before t-giving) I realized that I was only screwing myself, but at that point it was too late to recover from the damage. I had one A, 2 C's, a D and an F at that point. I did the math and I could save my GPA enough to stay in school if I did really well and brought one of the C's to a B and brought the F to a D. Well, it didn't happen, the exams were much harder than expected and I didn't pull it off. I know this sounds like a lot of :bawl: but I just wanted to explain everything to everyone. Since I had done so poorly last fall with the 1.04 I was already on academic probation for this semester. That means that I have to bring my cumulative GPA to a 2.0 by the end of the semester or I'm out for a semester. Well, obviously it didn't happen, and here I am. In all honesty, I think this will be good for me. My heart and mind are not in school, they are elsewhere(nowhere in particular, just definately not on school).

Beezil, not to toot my own horn, but I agree with you. I've often thought that I'm too smart for my own good. I coasted through HS with a 3.3, never studied, got a 1430 SAT, and things were cake. I never had to learn how to study, be motivated, or do stuff that I didn't want to. I did very well in my welding class this semester(got an A) because it was something I was specifically interested in. I don't really know where I'm going with all of this, except to say that I can't go back to school this semester.

As for the umbilical cord comment, if that means that I'm still dependent upon my parents, then yes, I'm still attached. I'm hoping to sever it this semester, I need to start doing things for me, not for anyone else. I've always been driven by my father, he was the prod in my ass when it was necessary, and he's obviously not around at school. That's my biggest problem, and what I'm hoping to address with this semester off of school.

Anyway, I really wasn't trying to get everyone to tell me to stay in school, I know that that's what I have to do. I've known it for as long as I can remember. I just need to make that a goal that I want, and not just one that has been implanted in my head since I was born. Thanks guys.

Ary

Edit: for those that are going to say, "go back to community college and take gen ed courses" that isn't gonna work. When you're on academic suspension, it is impossible to earn credit towards your degree from any institution. In other words, even if I went and took the classes, the credit wouldn't be allowed to transfer.

Hey Ary,
I understand what is goin on. I went to college for almost 2 full semesters to see if i could handle it. Did great in my welding, calc and design classes. Uterly failed everything else no matter how hard I tried. At that point I decided to not go to a conventional college. I chose a trade school that has propelled me closer to my career goal. Depending upon what you want to do for the rest of you life, there may be other options. I am shooting to own some type of welding/automotive shop. My planned major was MECH. ENGINEER. I found that would put me close to at least 10 years until I could think about finding my goal. I am about to graduate in May with 2 ACOS degrees. At 20 yrs old, I will be out of school with something to get me rolling.

Maybe this is up your alley. Find what you are good/interested in, then go to school for THAT.

I am still young and really dumb, so take it for what it is worth.

Matt

i respect your ability to be self-critical.....good trait.

you'll be alright...it sounds like you know whats best for you....

be smart and make good decisions, don't take the easy way out.

Beezil said:
i respect your ability to be self-critical.....good trait.

you'll be alright...it sounds like you know whats best for you....

be smart and make good decisions, don't take the easy way out.
Couldn't be said any better. Take stock in what you got. Self awareness is a very valuable trait that is lacking in a lot of individuals in this world. In the end, it's just life, have fun.

The world needs ditch diggers too, son.

Maybe a few years of work will give you perspective as to what you really want to do. I believe that the 4 year university system is very outdated in preparing students to have marketable job skills. Yes, a liberal arts degree will make you well rounded in having coctail conversations, but unless you are focused on what you want to learn and why you want to learn it, it's a waste of time and (other people's) money to sit in a four year school only to graduate with a piece of paper and no solid marketable skills.

Go work for 20-25K a year for a couple of years in a semi or no-skilled poisition and I guarantee your sense of motivation will change.

SeanP

Before you make any hasty decisions sit down with a profesor or two with whom you might be "on the bubble" in his or her class. You should have a decent relationship with at least one member of the faculty in your college, specific college, not Tech, talk to him or her. Talk to them, your advisor, anyone. You really need to stick it out and stay in school if you can. At the very least, does Tech offer an internship or Co-op program through the engineering college in which you could participare and gain credit for? You would technically be out of school and working but it would look alot better to future employers than a plain old semester or two off would. Mark hit the nail on the head about what a college degree means to most people. Getting the degree on time is the important part to most employers. Even if you have a less than stellar GPA it looks better if you graduate on time than it does to have a less than stellar GPA with a degree it took you 6 or so years to obtain. You don't want that cloud of doubt hanging over you when your looking for that first real career building job.

If you want some motivation to stay in school come to Washington, I will set you up with a job pulling lumber 10 hours a day. If you don't quit before the end of the week you will definitely be dreaming of those easy nights doin homework in the dorm.

Back