• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a 242 input shaft

Chad29860

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a good 242 input shaft so that I can swap in a 231 in my 89 XJ. I am also interested in a SYE. I have a 242 with around 16,000 miles on complete rebuild and it had the output shaft and pump and all replaced in December due to some carnage. The case went to the local tranny shop and got checked out and that was all that was wrong. I will sell the 242 complete for $250. Not bad on a case that has low mileage on rebuild.

I was looking on ebay and seen a 21 splined 231 out of a 4cyl. I take it that one would work in my setup. I just want to go to the 231 for the ease of finding parts and cheapness and availability of the SYE for it.. My 242 only has 16,000 miles on rebuild is the shitty part about it though. All that money down the drain. Also I appreciate you looking but I did find an input on ebay that a guy sold me for $20 shipped. I will hold on to it but I may try and get that 21 spline 231.

Yeah, unless you just really wanna tear into it, it would be much easier to find a 21 spline case. I got one from an early aw4, and I had one from behind the early 5 speed wrangler with a 4.2. Not sure what vehicles had them, but they can be had cheap as most folks want the 23 spline variety.

Back