• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a 1988 XJ

ffjosh

NAXJA Forum User
4x4
4door
Pretty much rust free with the expception of a small home in front of the rear hanger.

Things I think I know
Vaccum lock - searching showed thats a easy fix.
Possibly a dana 44 rear. Look to see if it has the hex style cover
260 series u joint
4.0 Renix engine (dont know much about them)
Auto
So should be 3.55 Gears

Anything else I should look for?

Pay attention to the cooling system. The pressure bottle tends to crack or the cap likes to start to leak. Check ALL the grounds as they can be a serious problem with the renix era jeeps.

You're 'gonna need an emergency RENIX kit. LOL. Well lucky for you if you do get the '88XJ is the fact that there are true experts here at NAXJA! Without their expertise I'd be looking for a different machine. With that said, place your finger into the tail pipe, and see if there is much soot left on your finger tip.

How many miles?

If you ever get a leak from your injectors, (off of the side of the fuel rail.., over the exhaust manifold), you are libable to burn the XJ down. The experts here have shared, will share the correction needed.

When you say the 88 will only be a wheeler, does that mean you will only trailer it out to the turf? Death Wobble is not a joke, lol.

One thing about the RENIX system is that the ground cables/straps need to be bigger, new, clean, and making good connections. Extra grounding does not hurt either. See if that has been done, or not!

The low mounted alternator requires spares if you do muddy creek crossings, etc., as you are most likely going to short it out from the contaminates. Therefore you will probably want to fab up the alternator into a higher position, sans the A/C.

What kind of lift height are you intending? What size tires? One thing to remember is that the front wheel bearings are narrower than later years, so they don't like wheel spacers. I would imagine that 50 pound, or heavier tires could also prematurely wear them out. The fix, besides replacements, would be to obtain a different axle, which is something the mod. guys will guide you properly.

If you are 'wheeling', are you going to get a winch? If so, you might want to consider an extra battery, etc., which means you will want to relocate your air filter box entirely, and replace with an alternate setup, i.e., a snorkel, or a redirection of a filter into the passenger side cowling, through the firewall. Later model XJ's make that task a bit easier due to the location of various parts. I'm not going to go into that discussion any further at this point.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Im not sure on the miles yet.

It will only be taken off the trailer and then off to the trail. It might get a occsional trip to the dunes will be the fastest it ever moves.

Not liking the fuel injector leak thing...ill have to check that out lol

IM just planning on being stock height. Might trim the fenders some day to fit bigger tires.

It has 270,000 lol Runs great though with the exceptiong of high idle and it a little sputtery (is that a work lol)

The interior is a little rought and the heat/ac does not work at all. (fan dosen't turn on)

First thing Im going to do is clean all the ground and try to get it running better. Throw a fresh coat of paint on it and just start fixing odd and ends crap.

They were but I wasn't allowed to update them and my request to add to them fell on deaf ears.

Here's a list of the write-ups and the ones with an asterisk have been completed.

I'm working with 2 different entities to host the whole package so we have access. Look over the outline and see what you may like. The ground refreshing, sensor ground test, coil/ICU refreshing, C101 refreshing and connector refreshing are super important.

Revised 04-18-2012
* means instructions have been written.

1-Ground refreshing, adding engine bay grounds, link to Kelleys WIP*
1a-Improving the instrument panel ground*
2- Checking sensor grounds*
2a- Repairing sensor grounds*

3-C101 Connector Refreshing*
4-Connector and relay /receptacle refreshing*
5-Coil/ICM contacts*

6- Snugging up intake manifold bolts
7-Throttle body and IAC cleaning
8-TPS testing and adjusting*
9-CPS testing and adjusting*
10-CPS wiring bypass
11-ECU connector refreshing
12-Distributor indexing
13-O2 sensor diagnostics
14-Setting base idle
15-Valve cover mod*
16-Sensor ground upgrade*
17-CPS Timing Advance Mod*
18-Headlight Harness Installation*
19-Trans Plug Connector Refreshing*
20- Rear Main Seal Diagnosis*
21-Vacuum Test For Exhaust Restriction*
22-Restoring Throttle Butterfly Adjustment

Yup I have been searching that stuff and am going to do that first thing. It does suppter a little bit but over runs good. I dont think its the original engine and trans.

Anyone know how to tell?

See post #2 in this link. The casting number is a 10 digit number on the driver's side of the block about 1/2 way down. The build date code is stamped inot a flat machined area on the passenger's side of the block to the right and up from the distributor.

You left out the most important one!!!!!:(

The Uncle Bob fix!!!!:roflmao:

They were but I wasn't allowed to update them and my request to add to them fell on deaf ears.

Here's a list of the write-ups and the ones with an asterisk have been completed.

I'm working with 2 different entities to host the whole package so we have access. Look over the outline and see what you may like. The ground refreshing, sensor ground test, coil/ICU refreshing, C101 refreshing and connector refreshing are super important.

Revised 04-18-2012
* means instructions have been written.

1-Ground refreshing, adding engine bay grounds, link to Kelleys WIP*
1a-Improving the instrument panel ground*
2- Checking sensor grounds*
2a- Repairing sensor grounds*

3-C101 Connector Refreshing*
4-Connector and relay /receptacle refreshing*
5-Coil/ICM contacts*

6- Snugging up intake manifold bolts
7-Throttle body and IAC cleaning
8-TPS testing and adjusting*