• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LONG Discourse on why NOT to buy from Rusty's Offroad

How many think I am an @$$]-[()[_E for posting this?

• You are a total @$$]-[()[_E!!

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • You are a puckered sphincter

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • You are a bit of an @$$]-[()[_e - but still on to something

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • This info should be shared and you are not an a-hole

Votes: 54 43.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

revnitsudyak

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to share why I personally will NEVER do business with
Rusty's Off Road again. Since they do 80% of their business with XJ
owners, I am sharing this here. You've been warned...

Rusty is a cordial enough guy but lacks ownership and follow-through.
In early March I placed a large order and it took over 2.5 weeks to
arrive (my order was over $2500). I ordered 2 ARBs, 2 master
overhaul kits, two 4.56 R&P sets, an intake kit, a diff guard and a
steering box brace. I was shocked to pay over $500 for shipping at
regular ground rates, especially since it did not arrive in 4-6 days
as promised.

I gave them one week before calling to check on the progress of the
order. The only reason I had to check on it was because I was to be
on vacation the following week so I could not afford to have it
sitting on my porch for a whole week. Pretty high risk. I was just
trying to get an ETA to be sure I could be there.

I asked to change the address they would deliver it to after finding
out they HAD NOT YET EVEN SHIPPED it after almost 5 days! They had a
hard time wrapping their head around this idea but eventually, I was
able to get them to commit to mailing it to my in-laws address. Upon
my return from vacation, the product still had not yet arrived! I
followed up again and they could not figure out the tracking # so I
was left totally in the dark on when it would arrive. Then, Rusty
told me it would be there "tomorrow". When it finally arrived, it
came to my home address, where it should not have gone, and was
sitting on my front porch for 24 hours because we only use the garage
entrance. Good thing they are not timely in their deliveries or this
would have been sitting on my porch the whole week while I was away –
strike one.

So, after taking my rig and all the parts in to Joe at Absolute
Offroad in Phoenix, I get a call on the way home….it's Joe.
"Did you change axles in the back?"
"No, why do you ask?" I inquired.
"Well, you have a 1992, 27 spline 8.25 and Rusty's sent you a 29
spline ARB."

I called Rusty and he told me he would ship it out and it should be
to Joe within 3-4 days. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. This
could be an honest mistake (warehouse mispick or something).I even
asked him if he would put a rush on it since they were the ones who
messed up the order to begin with – strike two. He said OK.

Got a call from Joe 10 days later letting me know he had not yet
received the ARB. I called Rusty again and he said he did not know
the status but that they only fax the orders in, from there it is in
ARBs court- !

When he called me back, he said that he talked to ARB and they were
out of 27 spline lockers and have been for a while. This was why I
did not get the right one in the first place (my conclusion). He said
that they are on a shipping container en route from Australia! I
expressed my frustration with the whole chain of events and asked why
they sent me a 29 Spline to begin with since on their website, you
fill out a vehicle spec sheet and mine is clearly a 1992, never made
with 29 spline. He was back peddling and almost insinuating that some
1992's have 29 splines. I pushed back hard and he then said that….
"Well, so many people are swapping in 29 splines now blah, blah,
blah…." He was making assumptions with my $700 part! He was also
just making excuses for their ineptitude.

I am FURIOUS just writing this. To Joe's point, I should have asked,
why didn't you just send me a Dana 60? Or a Dana 35 for that matter.
After all, you never know, and so many people are swapping different
axles in these days. J

Finally, I asked,
"Since you screwed up the order to begin with, then I find out that I
have the wrong item after 2.5 weeks, don't you think the second time
around you would have followed up with ARB after the order went
through? How about confirmation #? I can't imagine a large company
like ARB not having a confirmation system in place to tell you it is
on the way or that it is on back order."

To this Rusty replied,
"I don't own ARB so I wouldn't know. We just fax in our order." – I
guess they just HOPE the order goes through. What an @$$]-[()[_3!!

Just great.

Obviously he doesn't even "own" his own business in the sense that I
would either. He is clearly a victim and will never take
responsibility for any errors. He did not even validate my concerns;
just that he was frustrated too. Probably because I was calling him
out on this – strike three, you're OUT.

Thanks for not doing Business with Rusty's. Below are examples of
companies/businesses that show true ownership and personal vestment.

Great companies/shops I have worked with (no affiliation):

Absolute Offroad – Phoenix, AZ – Joe is awesome and really a stand up
guy. Honest, very knowledgeable and has a genuine interest in service
(I think he just wants to build up my rig to see me wheel it into the
ground!:) He goes out of his way to get the job done – thanks Joe!

AMC 4X4 Salvage – Peoria, AZ – Nacho is very knowledgeable and always
has the parts to keep my heep running. Also, he still charges honest
prices.

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts – Possibly the best overall service
experience from a specialty parts fabricator/distributor I have ever
had. From the folks who took my order on the phone's service and
informative nature all the way to Tom personally following up with me
to be sure I got what I ordered and that it was the right fit!
Getting a personal call from Tom himself showed 5 Star service!

Baertrax – Dallas, TX – Home of the Buttface diff guard. This diff
guard is the most functional and beefy on the market. It is also the
ugliest! Love it. Russ and Christy provided very personal and
friendly service with great follow up to see if I liked the cover and
if it worked out ok.
From my feedback email to them in which I shared photos of my rig
with the Buttface on and my broken tie rod, here is Christy's
response…
"We just got back from EJS in Moab, hope to make it to AZ for some
wheelin' someday. We have a few customers with XJ's buttfaces, but
not too many. We'd love to have more, send 'em our way!!!! P.S., we
sell a tie-rod too, ha!"
Thanks again,
Christy Baer

UPDATE: After I wrote this, I decided to call ARB direct in Renton,
WA. I was told they have 27 spline lockers in stock and were never
out. Nothing coming in on a container!

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO JOE FOR NOT TAKING A PUBLIC SHOT AT ME! :)

Forgot to mention that the steering box brace had the wrong size bolts with it. Since it was so bad getting anything done, I went to the Nut & Bolt store and got 'em myself!

I didn't have any issues when I ordered my lift from Rusty's, but I seem to be in the minority with that. However I'm not at all satisfied with his product. I guess you get what you pay for, so I take the blame. I totally agree with your stance on AMC 4X4 Salvage. I'm right down the street from them and they always have what I need, and at a great price. Randy, at Driven Auto Parts is also a great guy, and a good friend of the group of guys I wheel with. I would reccomend him as well for anybody in the Phoenix area.

Gotta luv someone who registers at a site JUST to bash a vendor.
Not defending Rusty, just saying that every vendor has happy, and not so happy customers. Rusty has been metioned one this site multiple times, good and bad, maybe you should have checked here BEFORE ordering parts, instead of just coming here to bash.

Sorry....no credibility here.

Rev

Due diligence....point well taken.

You're right...hindsight shows this post was in poor taste but it was so horrendous my vision was clouded a bit.

On the flipside, I provide many 'hair trigger' positive comments for a job well done too.

Staying "Above the Line" is my philosophy and thanks for showing me how this post was not in keeping with that.

Rev Den said:

I was very pleased with Rusty's service and products.

I can see the level of frustration. I've had projects that I've had to have done, preordered the parts after making sure they were in stock, took the time off work, and sure as heck the parts are backordered or some BS for not being able to deliver on time.

Meeting the demands of a On-Time Customer (you only order parts when you need them for a Job, then ASAP!) takes a little something extra.

Unless Price or availability is a major concern, I have re-researched vendors and dropped my order with the vendor who was doing poorly.

This, unfortunately, was one of those cases:
Once I waited 3 weeks from a Suzuki Off-Road supplier to send me a "Z" link he had In-Stock! Just because he didn't have time to drag it off the shelf and send it to me - seriously, that was the case. When it arrived, it was missing the rod end and I had to call and ask for that - took an additional week for that to come, and 2 more calls. Did he get more of my business; NO!

Thank you for sharing your rant ;) and I hope you feel better.
Now shut your gob and go wheeling with your new rig! :D

One bad expierence with a vendor doesn't do it. You want parts to modify your vehicle. They get you the parts. They don't own ARB, or any other place, they are a "middle man."

You want ARB, buy from ARB. It isn't hard. The reason these places are there are to make money, and to sell complete kits for what the average off roader needs.

Wait you will get to the point where there isn't a magazine or vendor that can sell you a bolt on part for your rig. You will have to make everything yourself or pay a shop to do it. What then? The shop didn't meet your exacting specifiacations? You gonna whine when you could have done it yourself for cheaper?

Sorry dude, you don't like it, open your own shop.

Don't think his number of posts has much to do with his credibility. I know several long-time 4Wheelers and fabricators who have never belonged to any online forums.... I wouldn't begin to question their credibility where Jeeps or parts suppliers are concerned.

I wont bash Rusty. I had a bad experience with him also and simply choose to go elsewhere with my business now. Simple.

I am one that has had good and bad experience with rustys, but what this guy is saying is inexcuseable... if any of you guys were in his position, you would be mad as hell too... I would send every bit of the product back on their dime and get a full refund and go elsewhere

I kinda grinned when you told us you raised a stink over your 27 spline axle issue. If I were you, I'd have kept the 29 spline ARB and went and bought 29 spline axles. You raising such a stink and spending over $700 (more than a $1000 once you figure in the gears and installation) on a 27 spine axle makes me think you're kind of a dumb ass. I expect Rusty probably thought the same thing.

I've always had excellent service from Rusty and I expect he'll treat me right in the future as well.

I see your first mistake right off the bat.Why in gods name did you order gears and lockers from a company that sells lift kits.Rule one order such things from places like Randy's Ring and Pinion,West Coast gears,or Reider Racing.One you will get a better deal conscidering thats what they do is sell gears and lockers.Two you will get what you wanted because thats all they sell.I see it as your own fault for ordering these things from Rustys not that Rustys set you the wrong thing.Like he told you he sends his orders to ARB after that it is thier fault.It would suprise you how some large company run and some how continue to run .Well i hope you have learn your mistake and order the right parts from the right place.

As to getting the 29 spline lock i would have been happier.I would have went right to the junkyard and snagged two 29 spline shaft or i would have ordered two alloys in 29 spline.You would have had it done by now and it would be a lot stronger.

Ralph said:
I kinda grinned when you told us you raised a stink over your 27 spline axle issue. If I were you, I'd have kept the 29 spline ARB and went and bought 29 spline axles. You raising such a stink and spending over $700 (more than a $1000 once you figure in the gears and installation) on a 27 spine axle makes me think you're kind of a dumb ass. I expect Rusty probably thought the same thing.

I've always had excellent service from Rusty and I expect he'll treat me right in the future as well.

true... I would have done the same thing, but the fact of the matter is he didn't get what he ordered and then they tried to give him the run around... even if he is a dumbass, that doesn't make his money worth any less than ours

LilRedRover said:
true... I would have done the same thing, but the fact of the matter is he didn't get what he ordered and then they tried to give him the run around... even if he is a dumbass, that doesn't make his money worth any less than ours
Not saying anything about the value of his money. I just know I've only heard one side of this story.

Wil Badger said:
I see your first mistake right off the bat.Why in gods name did you order gears and lockers from a company that sells lift kits.Rule one order such things from places like Randy's Ring and Pinion,West Coast gears,or Reider Racing.One you will get a better deal conscidering thats what they do is sell gears and lockers.Two you will get what you wanted because thats all they sell. ...

Certainly a valid point. I also tend to order what is actually In-Stock from a range of vendors, rather than depend on one who needs to order out the specialty items.

I learned that lesson a while back. Occasionally I re-learn it ;)

This topic of good Rusty/bad Rusty is sooooo clapped the f out. I have purchased 2 conundrum-free lift kits from him and been very satisfied with both the product and customer service. Like any business, Rustys will have its share of snafus. I'm sorry that you went through this particular debacle. I'm just not sure that, as a paying member, I'm in favor of your post. In doing so, we do only get one side of the story. Your accusations will not dissuade me from parting with my hard earned duckets with Rusty.

I'm certain that I've been frustrated at things and started threads to vent. In fact I know I have. However, they were non-Jeep threads. I don't know. I'm certain that, recently, I have viewed this club a little differently than in the past. I was so impressed after attending a Chapter meeting and a trail run that perhaps I'm viewing things a bit more politically than I should. If his business was located in closer proximity then there might possibly be a way to establish a mutually beneficial relationship. Threads such as this decrease the likelihood of that happening and, thus, impact the club and it's MEMBERS.

Why on Earth, after 2.5 weeks of waiting for your order, didn't you simply contact your credit card company and cancel the transaction? If I had ordered that much product from ANYONE, and it didn't arrive after a week (reasonable) and I got a strange story from the company, I would have cancelled the order and found someone else that was serious about doing business.

-river

riverfever said:
This topic of good Rusty/bad Rusty is sooooo clapped the f out. I have purchased 2 conundrum-free lift kits from him and been very satisfied with both the product and customer service. Like any business, Rustys will have its share of snafus. I'm sorry that you went through this particular debacle. I'm just not sure that, as a paying member, I'm in favor of your post. In doing so, we do only get one side of the story. Your accusations will not dissuade me from parting with my hard earned duckets with Rusty.

I'm certain that I've been frustrated at things and started threads to vent. In fact I know I have. However, they were non-Jeep threads. I don't know. I'm certain that, recently, I have viewed this club a little differently than in the past. I was so impressed after attending a Chapter meeting and a trail run that perhaps I'm viewing things a bit more politically than I should. If his business was located in closer proximity then there might possibly be a way to establish a mutually beneficial relationship. Threads such as this decrease the likelihood of that happening and, thus, impact the club and it's MEMBERS.

Why on Earth, after 2.5 weeks of waiting for your order, didn't you simply contact your credit card company and cancel the transaction? If I had ordered that much product from ANYONE, and it didn't arrive after a week (reasonable) and I got a strange story from the company, I would have cancelled the order and found someone else that was serious about doing business.

-river

that's what I was saying... like I said previously, I have had good transactions and bad with them, as I have with other companies. I do think customer service is a big thing in this business and most companies are rather inconsistent. When you find one that seems to give your business priority, stick with them. Also a good idea to find a local vendor instead of mail ordering, as they will take your business more personally when they see your face. You may pay a little more in the end, but not going through situations like this is worth a lot to me.

Rev Den said:
Not defending Rusty, just saying that every vendor has happy, and not so happy customers. Rusty has been metioned one this site multiple times, good and bad, maybe you should have checked here BEFORE ordering parts, instead of just coming here to bash.

Sorry....no credibility here.

Rev

x2

I've been satisfied with my purchases from Rusty's

If you are paying someone to install the lockers and gears, I think it would be wise to have them order the lockers and gears, that way they know exactly what they are putting in and where it came from etc..., good luck with that, even though they got you the wrong order, he may have had your best interest in mind by sending the 29-spline version, much easier to get new axles than a new arb. Does sound like there is some misconception on Rustys part and some dodgy behavior, that is....... from your side of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back