• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arms

rsprman said:
Yeah, but can I just make the Long arms out of my Short arms. By cutting off the ends on both and welding it to some tube. That wouldn't really cost me all that much. I mean, I kinda of understand the differences with the flex in long arm and short arm. But I am on a budget. A REALLY SMALL one. I still need a SYE ,new rear driveshaft, tires, wheels, bumpers, rock rails, and skids before I think I can get serious in this thing.

You could look for other reasons why you have such a bad ride.......it isn't just the length of the arms. Are you running your tires with too much presure? How about the shocks....they can make a big difference in the ride quality. Are the rear springs too stiff? In many XJ's they are, with add-a-leafs and shocks that are too stiff.

You should be able to lengthen your arms like you're thinking, but you'll also have to do something with your upper arms. It's not simple to make mounts for a long arm that don't sacrifice too much ground clearance. Since you're talking about stuff that's going to require welding and some fabrication, and since you're on a really small budget, why don't you consider decreasing the angle of your current lower arms by adding two inches of bracket (welded on) to the bottom of your existing LCA frame mounts and moving the holes down two inches, and then move the axle end LCA mount up about an inch. This would give you the same benefits as a 3" drop bracket with a minimum amount of welding, and better ground clearance than long arms. Once you get the other items that you mentioned, you can come back and address the suspension again later, and then you'll likely have a better idea what you'd really like to do. Just another alternative.........but if you have the money and can get them cheap, you'd be happy with the RE drop brackets.

I've got skyjacker 6" lift shocks and the rear springs are about 2 yrs old. The ride has always been rough. It wasn't until recently that I got a chance to take it out on the trail and realized how bad the ride really was. I had a CJ before this and the ride in my CJ was 100 times better than this thing. I run about 32 psi in my tires and I have not tried to adjust that. I guess I could try and go for about 25 and see if it helps. I'll check into the welding of the brackets.
Thanks.

rsprman said:
I've got skyjacker 6" lift shocks and the rear springs are about 2 yrs old. The ride has always been rough. It wasn't until recently that I got a chance to take it out on the trail and realized how bad the ride really was. I had a CJ before this and the ride in my CJ was 100 times better than this thing. I run about 32 psi in my tires and I have not tried to adjust that. I guess I could try and go for about 25 and see if it helps. I'll check into the welding of the brackets.
Thanks.
get on board air and air down to 10-12 psi on the trail, this will help tremendously!

Yeah, 32 lbs is too much even for the street with a large tire. Let some air out. You can easily run 18 off road and drive with that presure nearly any distance on the road back to a station where you can air back up. Heck, we regularly run 12-15 (and lower) and drive on the road to and from the trails.

You will defintely get a better ride if you get away from that 32 lbs.

I had the same problem with Skyjacker Hydro shocks. It turns out 1 was blown and I believe the valving may have had something to do with it. I swapped them out with Tuff Country and my ride really improved. If you are running Nitros, I will almost guarantee that that is part of your stiff ride.

doodahman said:
Teraflex works good on and off road.
I wish the mounting bracket replaced the trans mount crossmember though.

----------------------------------
90 2dr 6.5" RC + Tera LA 33" MTR, Currie Steering, Tom Woods SYE & Shaft

Completely agreed. Exactly how much work would that have taken for them to incorporate the crossmember. Everytime I look under it I think the same thing. That is my only complaint.

I am running rustys long arm kit and love it! No complaints so far! It is sooooo much smoother now than before! (using the stock brackets)
I must say though... the drop brackets do give you a really smooth ride, so you just have to figure out what you want to do with it and how you want it to perform. I have seen a lot of flex come from the drop brackets!

Personally though... after going long arm... I won't go back! =)

90 XJ 4.0L I6 Auto
11" Lift, Rustys Longarm Kit, OTK Steering, 4.56 Gears, D30/Ford 8.8, Eaton E-Locker (rear), K&N Cold Air Intake, 35X12.50 BFG MT KM's on Eagle Alloy 15X10's, 6-States Driveshaft, Cracked Windshield, tree damage, oxidation...
www.inwadventures.com

Back