• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arms On

playwithit

NAXJA Forum User
With the rain coming down I ran out of excuses for delaying the installation of the Clayton long arms which have been decorating my garage for the last few months. Things went relatively well. I did however burn up my right angle grinder, which was not too bad because I used up all ten wheels I had in stock and had to make a run to the store. I replaced both with cheapy Harbor Freight junk. Total 30 cutoff wheels!!!!

Working alone had it's challenges as well. Lining up the lower arms was tough. I am sure it looked funny as hell, me using my leg to move the axle forward while aligning the arm to the mount.:laugh:

I took just a few pictures...
100_0325.jpg

100_0317.jpg

100_0326.jpg

100_0323.jpg

100_0329.jpg

100_0324.jpg

I think I'm gonna need longer shocks now. I have not driven it yet and I'll need to adjust the pinion angle as well as align it. I am happy so far.:greensmok

How long did it take you to put the Clayton arms on? My brother just got the same kit and we need to install it sometime soon. We were planning on 4 hours with 2 people, lift already on, just need to do the cross-member and arms.

How long did it take you to put the Clayton arms on? My brother just got the same kit and we need to install it sometime soon. We were planning on 4 hours with 2 people, lift already on, just need to do the cross-member and arms.

Four hours should do it for 2 people as long as you don't run into any problem (stuck bolts, tool malfunction, crying baby:laugh:, etc.). I installed and welded the cross member a few weeks ago. The control arm mount removal was the only issue I had, it went really slow.

I'l get pictures ground on the soon. I didn't get a chance to yet.

Sounds like we need to go get more cutting and grinding wheels. Looks killer though - sure it will perform the same way too.

i use a granite diamond blade to make all my cuts. there not cheap but more then worth it!! i have been using the same blade for a year and i beat the snot out of it making long cuts on 1/4" to various fender hack jobs on friends rigs and even cut the back half of an XJ with the same blade...

i use a granite diamond blade to make all my cuts. there not cheap but more then worth it!! i have been using the same blade for a year and i beat the snot out of it making long cuts on 1/4" to various fender hack jobs on friends rigs and even cut the back half of an XJ with the same blade...

Nice tip. I will invest.

Thanx

For anyone interested in pictures of the heep after the work.

100_0340.jpg

100_0338.jpg

100_0342.jpg

100_0344.jpg

The ride is much more smooth and comfortable with 5+" than before with the 3 1/2" and short arms. I did rub a little in the front when flexing so I will be adding a bump stop or two.

lookin good man! is that full drop on the front?. stock shackle location?

Last edited:
lookin good man! is that full drop on the front?. stock shackle location?

I think there might be a little more drop but two things are holding me back. Shock length and my fender. I didn't really take a close look to see any issues. Bump stops and shock measurements to come.

Shackle have been relocated with the HD setup. My shackle angle is at about 60*. Not ideal, but helps out a little. May adjust it later.

yeh the shackle angle looks funky, im no pro though. im asking mainly because i think im gonna just buy HDs set like you did.

i was gonna say shock length also.

Sawzall time!

Last edited:
This is what I have been searching for all day long.

Back