• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
41vEwArQ26L._SS500_.jpg

I really enjoyed reading this book and recommend it. Just thought I would share it with you guys.

Glenn Beck had that guy on his show. He actually had him back twice to give the full account of what happened.

Amazing story to say the least. That guy is a true hero in my book. In fact it was his radio guy that Bush just gave the Medal of Honor to.

I plan on reading that book soon as I can.

Is that the Medal of Honor recipient from Afganistan? Looks interesting, I quite liked Eagle against the Sun, Midway and Blackhawk Down.

SCW said:
Is that the Medal of Honor recipient from Afganistan? Looks interesting, I quite liked Eagle against the Sun, Midway and Blackhawk Down.
Yes it was. Can't remember the exact story but the guy got shot in the back, still made a radio call to get them out and then picked up his rifle and wasted a bunch of them before he died.

Last edited:
DrMoab said:
Glenn Beck had that guy on his show. He actually had him back twice to give the full account of what happened.

Amazing story to say the least. That guy is a true hero in my book. In fact it was his radio guy that Bush just gave the Medal of Honor to.

I plan on reading that book soon as I can.
He was the LT on the mission and made a cell call. I guess he was refering to a sat phone not what we call a cell phone. Really amazing story. I stumbled across an article yesterday about the Lt's parrents saying that it was lies and that he was discracing their memory. I also came across tha he had set up some sort of trust fund with some of the money form the book. I read that some are saying he is capitolizing on his friends death's but I dont think so at all. I also saw where Universal bought the rights to the story so it may end up being a movie at some point.

Someone just dropped off a copy for me to read and the first few pages are already great. I can't even begin to imagine what he felt when he had to make all those visits.

Just thought I'd bring up an old thread. Can't emphasize enough how amazing this book is, read it late in the fall and am on my second time now. What a story! Never been so tense and sad while reading a book in my life. Anyone have any more opinions on this? I would die to be able to speak to this hero, just show my appreciation somehow, don't suppose anyone has a way to get a hold of him eh?

tkjeeper said:
Just thought I'd bring up an old thread. Can't emphasize enough how amazing this book is, read it late in the fall and am on my second time now. What a story! Never been so tense and sad while reading a book in my life. Anyone have any more opinions on this? I would die to be able to speak to this hero, just show my appreciation somehow, don't suppose anyone has a way to get a hold of him eh?
Im about two thirds through it. They just got into a firefight with the afghanies.

My input here, finished it a while ago. The first 200 some odd pages are boring as fawk. He doesn't start actually getting into the mission side of things until more than halfway through. In the early portions he'll start talking about the mission, then go off on a tangent for the next 50 pages. He does that so many times I lost count. At one point had considered not finishing the book.

That having been said, the last chapters of the book were phenomenal. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. The actual parts about the mission are just amazing, and unreal to imagine. I don't think I should have had to read his whole life story to get to that point though.

Three stars. I'd borrow it, not buy it.

I thought it was a little slow at first however....He did that for a reason. For those who might read that book that are unfamilar with how the SEAL's operate I think it goes a long way to show you what they are. It puts the rest of the book in context. When he talks about breaking down and crying like a baby...after hearing what they go through at BUD/s it makes you understand just how horrible his experience was.

DrMoab said:
I thought it was a little slow at first however....He did that for a reason. For those who might read that book that are unfamilar with how the SEAL's operate I think it goes a long way to show you what they are. It puts the rest of the book in context. When he talks about breaking down and crying like a baby...after hearing what they go through at BUD/s it makes you understand just how horrible his experience was.

Eh.................:speepin:

DrMoab said:
Agreed, did we just agree on something? Not only that it also sets the tone for how he was able to survive the experience. The training and suffarage helped to prepare him for that experience. That is the way I see it. Not only that it helps nonmilitary types bond to him and want to learn more about the experience and what drove him while in such a desperate situation.

Thought I would bring this back up. It's a movie now and done fairly well. While Berg did depart some I thought he did a great job of paying tribute to these guys. Go see the movie its worth it. If you can read the book its much better.

This movie threw me a gut punch. I don't remember the last time a movie made me sit back and look at life and how we live it in a whole new prospective.

This movie threw me a gut punch. I don't remember the last time a movie made me sit back and look at life and how we live it in a whole new prospective.

So definitely worth seeing, huh?

Back