• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockright locker pins snapping problem

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a d44 front axle from a 77 f-150 under my jeep with 38" MTZ's and a lockright locker. My issue is three times now I have replaced the pins and springs only to have the pins shear in half just turning on grass in 4wd. I mean I installed a set, drove on the trailer off the trailer onto the grass and went to turn and all four pins broke again. Once they break they stay pinched inbetween the locker sides and just stay there. Has anyone else had these issues with this style locker? I had a lockright in my d30 and never had these problems.

38s are your problem. too much tire, too little locker. you need a full case locker.

IIRC lunchbox lockers are only rated good up to 32 or 33s

Yes I understand I am running a fairly bigger tire for the locker but I ran 36" iroks on my d30 and never had a problem with my lockright in there. Guess it is time for a Yukon Zip locker. :D I am just curious to see if anyone else has had these problems.

Lockright pins are a joke.

154_0910_02_zjeep_drop_in_lockerspins_and_springs_zps6c161be9.jpg

You have me thinking now. So has anyone ever modified the lockright to except a pin from an Aussie or a Spartan locker? :D

38s are your problem. too much tire, too little locker. you need a full case locker.

IIRC lunchbox lockers are only rated good up to 32 or 33s

BULLSHIT! I'm running 42's on a lockright and know of others running 40's on lockrites and spartans with out issue

ive seen alot of guys run 37-40" tires with lunchbox lockers in a 30 and a 44. somethings not right somewhere else. Especially under just pulling it off the trailer.

I run a Spartan up front in my D60 on 40" Creepies with 450 HP in front of it.

But the D44 lunchbox lockers are definitely much smaller. Even still, I'd bet something is wrong.

The pins should never have the kind of force on them that would cause them to snap. Have you checked to make sure the center gap is within spec? On a lunchbox style locker, if the center gap is too big or if the center pin has slop, it will allow to two sides to rotate away from each other further than they are designed for. This causes the pins to shear. With proper gaps, the pins should never have any shear force on them...

Back