• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker switchs: mounting ideas

JohnJohn said:
Not sure Mark, they came with my Tera T-Lockers.

I don't think I'll get any oil smell they just run mechanism on the rear/front of each diff.

Not that one, t-locker :rolleyes: (sorry, hate tera)

The switch with the vent on the brass block.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
What do you guys use the lap tops for while driving??

I just look out the window to see where I am!

:D

Hey on that all in one switch, who makes that?

And

Have you vented those out side or have you left the vent in the cab? Do you smell diff oil ever?

hinkley

I got them from Gulf Coast Rovers and that is the worst thing about them. You do smell the oil when you vent (turn off) the locker, but it is just like a shot of purfume.... :) The smell only last a few seconds. You could easily vent it outside though.

Okie Terry said:
Hey John,

What about a cover for the change holder in front of the shifter? Cut out the back of it and there'll be plenty of space behind the cover.

John, he meant in the ashtray, between the shifter and the cupholder.

XJs with factory equipped seat heaters had the switches there instead of an ashtray.

Ary

Safari Ary said:

XJs with factory equipped seat heaters had the switches there instead of an ashtray.

Ary
Right.

For non-smokers it's a change holder.

Okie Terry said:
Right.

Yeah, mine's not technically an ashtray, but I'd never seen another XJ without the smoker's package, so I figured most would know it as an ashtray.

I had planned to mount my ARB switches on the dash to the right of the steering column or on the console underneat the e-brake handle. I think John's best bet, however, since he has the deep pneumatic switches would in the ashtray/changeholder location, or on the face of the armrest near the top of the cupholder. The bucket in the console comes out and there is a good 3-4" between the face of the console and the bucket on the inside towards the bottom of the bucket. Might wanna check that out.

Ary

Bear549 said:
I got them from Gulf Coast Rovers and that is the worst thing about them. You do smell the oil when you vent (turn off) the locker, but it is just like a shot of purfume.... :) The smell only last a few seconds. You could easily vent it outside though.

Ditto. I run my ARB's off my air tank and I LOVE my setup. I bought the ARB manifold from Advanced air and those switches from gulf coast rovers. I have a quick connect from my air tank to the manifild then I ran a single line from the manifild to the area where I mounted my switches. Near the switches i ran a T fitting with one line going to each switch. I then ran one line to each locker. I think that way is more simple then using the soloniods and sh!tty ARB compressor. The only downside is, if you run out of air your lockers won't work. Although chances of that happenind are slim since you air up after being on the trails and you dont use a lot of air running the lockers even turning them on and off all day.

Safari Ary said:

Ary

The in front of the shifter through me off. The ash tray on my '88 was also "in front" of the shifter, but below temp controls. That's a good idea! Thanks Terry.

Okie Terry said:
Right.

This is NOT my jeep. I saved the pics, so I wont be able to tell you how to install them. If it's your jeep hope you dont mine I borrowed your pics and idea.
standard

standard

you could just go to a local industrial supply house and get a 2-way valve and run it off a small electric switch. use relays to have an "arming" switch than you can have an extra level of safety for your front and rear lockers.....

check out

http://suicidedoors.com/products/smc_valves-38.htm

heck... you have anything to trade? I have an extra 3 way valve i am willing to do some trading with..... you can fill the front, rear, and deflate with the one component.

Back