• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limited slip or bearing material? WJ..

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Working on the wife's WJ, just swapped in new upper a-arm/balljoint, lower CA's and shocks. Had the typical clunking while turning which research led to probable LS issue, i was going to change the fluid and add new friction modifier.

I'v got no previous experience with a LS diff, could this material be from the clutch pack..or do i have major bearing issues. I dont hear any bearing whine while driving.

Appreciate any input.. pics coming.

WJrearsuspensionswap003_zps01978ea0.jpg

WJrearsuspensionswap004_zpsd9b5972d.jpg

Last edited:
I just spoke with Joe at EndlessMountain.. he said the same.

I'm gonna clean it out, take a better look inside and plan to pick up another WJ axle to rebuild in my spare time.. i have all the tools now.. i'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks for the input Eric..

Just the V8's with the 44a.

D35 with the 4.0 on this Jeep. This is the Jeep i installed the new motor in a few years back.

I've seen that too many times, not the clutch packs but most likely carrier bearings. When I was rebuilding 3 of these a week I got to the point where I would remove .005" from each carrier bearing shim and be right on the money for preload and backlash. A D44a will need to be rebuilt before installing just to be on the safe side so save your money and buy something worth rebuilding.

Thanks Bryan, appreciate your input. The guys in the WJ forum at JF are stating this is normal..

I'v changed fluid in countless D35's over the years in my own and friend/families rigs and never have i seen that much material on a magnet. Not even in a high mileage NP transfercase.

You gave me some things to think about. Perhaps i should swap out the carriers as you have done.. i'll check the pinion for play.

In your opinion, whats a worthwhile axle for a WJ that may see a budget boost at maximum? The 44a or stick with the 35? I was surprised to see this has 3:73's as i expected 3:55's.. iirc the 44a's were also 3:73.

3.73 seems to be the most common stock gear for WJ's and TJ

The WJ has the funky upper control arm set-up that limits what axle you can put in it without any fabrication. The D44a will be fine for most people with light wheeling but I'm no expert on their ability to handle bigger tires.

3.73 was pretty standard for the WJ unless you got a 4.0L with quadra drive. Those usually got 3.55's. So just about every V8, and 4.0L with select trac t-cases will normally have the 3.73.

Back