• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift shackle ???

pats95xj

NAXJA Forum User
First off i want to introduce myself, first post and all, I'm Patrick and i've had my XJ lifted for about two years now, 4.5" lift, 33's, and amost ever mod done to it thanks to NAXJA. You guys are a huge help to me.

About 3 months ago i wanted to increase my rough country 3" lift to 4.5 in order to run 33's so i got a 1.5 spacer and i wanted a shackle....

So the local 4 wheel drive shop decided to put on a 1.5in lift block instead of a 1.5" shackle, they told me they couldn't get the stock shackle off, so i said whatever at the time and got some money back. Now i want to replace the block for a shackle. i was told by a friend in order to get the 1.5" lift i would need to get a 3" lift shackle, is this true or do i only need the 1.5"

OR should i get a 4.5" leaf pack instead of the 3" AAL pack -goin for some flex!!!!

thanks in advance
i did search BTW

pats95xj said:
First off i want to introduce myself, first post and all, I'm Patrick and i've had my XJ lifted for about two years now, 4.5" lift, 33's, and amost ever mod done to it thanks to NAXJA. You guys are a huge help to me.

About 3 months ago i wanted to increase my rough country 3" lift to 4.5 in order to run 33's so i got a 1.5 spacer and i wanted a shackle....

So the local 4 wheel drive shop decided to put on a 1.5in lift block instead of a 1.5" shackle, they told me they couldn't get the stock shackle off, so i said whatever at the time and got some money back. Now i want to replace the block for a shackle. i was told by a friend in order to get the 1.5" lift i would need to get a 3" lift shackle, is this true or do i only need the 1.5"

OR should i get a 4.5" leaf pack instead of the 3" AAL pack -goin for some flex!!!!

thanks in advance
i did search BTW

Let me be the first to welcome you to NAXJA. Glad you are happy with the info you find here. If you aren't already aware, March is NAXJA's membership drive. See here for details if you are interested: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=908536

Getting rid of those blocks would definitely be a good thing, IMHO. If the funds are available, I'd go with the 4.5" leaf packs. Hands down better than an AAL, and will last much longer. Next option would be to make a bastard pack out of s-10 leaves. This is the route I took and it's worked just fine for me. Kinda the budget-beater route for guys that really want new leaf packs. There is a large thread detailing the process here:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=bastard
I'd discourage adding a shackle to an AAL. It's only going to shorten the life of the leaf packs eventually s-shaping the main leaf......ask me how I know.:D

Well your friend was real close, but not quite on the money. A lift shackle for an XJ will only give you half of it's length. So if the shackle is 3" from eye to eye, it will give 1.5" of lift. You'll be hard pressed to find a 3" lift shackle. In theory, a 3" lift shackle would be 6" from eye to eye. 1.5"s are all over the place, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

Keep in mind that going higher, will require other mods. Brake lines, shocks, control arms, and a slip-yoke eliminator may be necessary as well. It all adds up pretty quick.

HTH Patrick.

Hale

Last edited:
pats95xj said:
thanks for the response, the s-10 leaf pack slipped my mind, def. what ill do, thanks alot Hale

:wave1:

Haleyes said:
Well your friend was real close, but not quite on the money. A lift shackle for an XJ will only give you half of it's length. So if the shackle is 3" from eye to eye, it will give 1.5" of lift. You'll be hard pressed to find a 3" lift shackle. In theory, a 3" lift shackle would be 6" from eye to eye. 1.5"s are all over the place, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

Also close but not quite right. You have to consider all of this in relation to the stock shackle so that its in relation to stock vehicle height

3" eye to eye will not be 1.5" of lift if the stock shackle was 2" eye to eye. Then it would be .5"

To be more accurate you would say that a 3" increase in length would net a 1.5" lift.

The advice here is still right though, ditch the blocks. Add-A-Leafs don't tend to flex, and homebrew s-10 or dakota leaf packs are really tricky to get them to flex. There is one guy on here, can't remember who, who built a nice pack but took alot of testing different combinations before he found something that worked well.

Best advice is to use a good leafpack with a shackle that will net you the lift you want. Make sure that however you set it up, you're maintaining a good shackle angle. You want the shackle at rest with the weight on it to be rocked back at about 45 degrees, and in order to flex well it needs to not have things in the way restricting its movement. It is kind of a downside to the factory mount location for the shackle. Your bumper bolts stick into the shackle bucket and restrict on compression, and most lift shackle bolt-in's end up with a near vertical shackle angle.

Food for thought...check this thread out about relocating the mount point.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=910949

Not too often you see a leafed XJ drop a 33" rear tire out of the wheel well like that.

WheelinJR said:
Also close but not quite right. You have to consider all of this in relation to the stock shackle so that its in relation to stock vehicle height

3" eye to eye will not be 1.5" of lift if the stock shackle was 2" eye to eye. Then it would be .5"

To be more accurate you would say that a 3" increase in length would net a 1.5" lift.

You are correct sir.
I stand corrected. I knew what I meant, my fingers just didn't do a very good job of explaining it.

:cheers:

Hale

Back