• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

License Plate search

PAPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How do I find out someone's name and address if I know their license plate number and state? Is there a free service or do I have to pay for it?

The reason I ask is because my friend's streetbike was stolen and someone gave him the license plate number of the people they saw stealing it. I am trying to track them down.

Thanks.

that or you could go to dmv and if it might cost a little fee to get their address and information but the cops would probably be alot more easyer

I'm thinking the police would be the ones to handle that. Didn't your friend file a report with the police and notify his insurance company? What are you going to do if you track them down? Appeal to their sense of honor or integrity :D?

Edit: Don't go chasing after scumbags...there are people that do that for a living.

5-90 said:
Big Bob the Finder comes irresistibly to mind...

5-90

I'm sure there's plenty of people over at JU off-topic that would help him hunt this guy down :).

Edit: There are some SCARY mo-fo's on the internet.

johnlv6 said:
I'm sure there's plenty of people over at JU off-topic that would like to make it seem like they are tough enough to hunt down something larger than a cheeseburger :).

Edit: There are some PHONEY mo-fo's on the internet.

Fixed it for you.

SCW said:
Fixed it for you.

I agree with you. However, with the amount of personal information people have floating around, it isn't difficult to track someone down if you've got a screw loose and enjoy messing with people.

Ralph said:
Why don't you give it to the police and let them track it down.

Did that. The police don't care. They aren't going to waste their time with this. They assume you have insurance and it doesn't matter. Well my friend didn't have comprehensive insurance so he needs to find the bike or he is SOL.

johnlv6 said:
What are you going to do if you track them down? Appeal to their sense of honor or integrity :D?

Edit: Don't go chasing after scumbags...there are people that do that for a living.

If we track them down maybe they will still have the bike and we can have the cops get it back for him. The cops aren't going to do anything to find the bike, but if we find it they will help him recover it.

I wasn't looking for opinions on whether we should be looking for these guys, just help on the license plate deal. I thought that since everyone likes to blur out their plate numbers on this site that maybe someone would know how to search by plate numbers.

ECKSJAY said:
Which agency is this?
x2, giving a license plate number seems like something really easy to follow up on. It's their business, if they don't seem interested then keep calling until they are.

I think California Law prohibits the police from providing the details from a license plate number.

IIRC there was an incident where someone cut off another, that person went to the authorities to get the name and address of the person who cut them off, then proceeded to find and murder them.

cracker said:
I think California Law prohibits the police from providing the details from a license plate number.

IIRC there was an incident where someone cut off another, that person went to the authorities to get the name and address of the person who cut them off, then proceeded to find and murder them.

Can't do it in WA, either. I've known guys severely reprimanded for abusing the system like that.

OT said:
A reprimand?
Really?
Ooooooh.:shiver:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

If that's a reprimand, I'd hate to see a bad punisment.
Everywhere I've been, a reprimand was just a stern warning.

easy, Call up and report a drive by shooting from a pay phone give them that plate and then follow the cops to thier house.

edit: btw that is laced with sarcasm don't try it...

Back