• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liberty disc brakes used for XJ brake conversion?

Bender said:
I haven't done the swap so I'm not sure on a parts list. I just have a CAD model of the complete axle.

Is it a suitable size to e-mail?? I can inspect it at work if you don't mind forwarding a copy, it would be much appreciated.

What design software do you guys use? What formats can you take. I don't have CAD drawings...I have a 3D model of the axle so you'll require some sort of 3D modelling software to see it.

Thanks for all the replies. On the ZJ swap, where is the best place to get the mounting brackets and backing plates? I have heard several people say that junk yards won't sell those off the axle.

Also, is there a need for the backing plate? Don't the calipers mount to their own bracket and the backing plate just "protects" the rotor from minor dings? When I swapped an Explorer 8.8" in my TJ, I did not have any backing plates on that one.

Keep in mind that early 02 Libbys have drum brakes. All I could find when I looked for parts was 2 02's. One the axle was gone already. The other had the drums. I think the biggest advantage in using KJ parts is easy parking brake retention IIRC they connect the same as the XJ. I dropped it, and just fixed my drums.

COTim said:
Thanks for all the replies. On the ZJ swap, where is the best place to get the mounting brackets and backing plates? I have heard several people say that junk yards won't sell those off the axle.

Also, is there a need for the backing plate? Don't the calipers mount to their own bracket and the backing plate just "protects" the rotor from minor dings? When I swapped an Explorer 8.8" in my TJ, I did not have any backing plates on that one.
COTim, there's a junkyard in Greensboro, NC where I orderd my stuff from, $180 shipped for calipers, brackets, parking brake assemblies and cables, came off a '97 ZJ at my request (same model year as my XJ just for giggles).

PM me and I'll help set something up, I usually place an order directly then pay a local 4x4 place that gets deliveries from them regularly.

And backing plates are not necessary, they are simply the bits of sheet metal that "protect" (trap bits of gravel against) the rotors.

You will need ZJ hoses so that the hardlines don't go directly into your calipers, but that's about $50 at a part store for OEM hoses...

Edit: I've also seen some members from CA who've said they can get the supplies cheaply and easily, that might be a little closer.

Sorry for the million year revive, but I can't believe no one ever had a definitive answer to the OP.

The answer is yes. KJ rear discs (off an 8.25) will bolt right up to an XJ 8.25.

Parts needed from the KJ are... EVERYTHING. Take everything from the axle studs to the disc and don't forget the ebrake cables. You might also wanna grab the wheel studs as well, as you'll need the extra length.

You'll also need to modify your rear hard lines. Cut them a few inches shorter and install a new flare nut, and bolt on a soft line. I used some aftermarket front soft lines (for an XJ D30 caliper, but they're all prett standard).

Swap took me about 2 hours tops and it worked perfect. The only issue was the ebrake cables are much longer. You can get them shortened or just hang them up out of the way and they'll still work fine.

I searched here but found that ZJ that came to Egypt had D35 & not 8.25 but we have a lot of liberties
can you please forward it to me to ? Thanks

No difference between US and Export ZJs in that regard.
The reason you have to hone the middle out of the backing plate is that the D35 axle tube is smaller than a 8.25. Tons of material out there on this.
Just hone the middle out to the edge of the machined bevel (about 2mm), find a nice place to attach the other end of the brake hose to so it just doesn't hang in space, and bolt the backing plate on. Put together the parking brake hardware, take your stock XJ parking cable, put a 90 in it at the thimble end and slip it into the slot for the ZJ cable. Throw on calipers, and disc and you are good to go. The hardest part is having the patience to open up the center hole that 2 mm.

As far as using Libby Brakes on a 8.25 XJ, you guys might want to read this FAQ: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1081543

-Ron

No difference between US and Export ZJs in that regard.
The reason you have to hone the middle out of the backing plate is that the D35 axle tube is smaller than a 8.25. Tons of material out there on this.
Just hone the middle out to the edge of the machined bevel (about 2mm), find a nice place to attach the other end of the brake hose to so it just doesn't hang in space, and bolt the backing plate on. Put together the parking brake hardware, take your stock XJ parking cable, put a 90 in it at the thimble end and slip it into the slot for the ZJ cable. Throw on calipers, and disc and you are good to go. The hardest part is having the patience to open up the center hole that 2 mm.

As far as using Libby Brakes on a 8.25 XJ, you guys might want to read this FAQ: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1081543

-Ron

Yep^^. Quite easy, including the cables.

I converted my XJ's 8.25 to KJ discs a while ago and it was a perfect fit. Ultimately needed to buy different E-brake cables (DBC-06 and DBC-06 from jeep4x4center.com) and new wheel studs for the rear axle shafts (stock/OEM XJ front studs). WJ (and presumably ZJ) rear brake hoses mated up to the SAE XJ brake lines beautifully. Otherwise, it's plug-and-play.

I have yet to muck with my proportioning valve but am tempted to do so soon... I have the KJ donor sitting in a box somewhere.

Cool, when I did my ZJ brake conversion, I did look at using the original wheel studs, and an article I saw called for using ZJ wheel studs.

I don't recommend using ZJ studs, but I do recommend using front XJ studs as they are longer than the ZJ rear disc studs and if you have a set of alloys, you will appreciate it.

Infact, here is my writeup, I knew it was around here somewhere:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1102429

I converted my XJ's 8.25 to KJ discs a while ago and it was a perfect fit. Ultimately needed to buy different E-brake cables (DBC-06 and DBC-06 from jeep4x4center.com) and new wheel studs for the rear axle shafts (stock/OEM XJ front studs). WJ (and presumably ZJ) rear brake hoses mated up to the SAE XJ brake lines beautifully. Otherwise, it's plug-and-play.

I have yet to muck with my proportioning valve but am tempted to do so soon... I have the KJ donor sitting in a box somewhere.

On my ZJ to XJ conversion, I just swapped the "guts" of the prop valve rather than the whole assembly. Works well.

Well crap. Called Teraflex to ask about the two PN's, and turns out the one that says out of stock and no longer in production on the website, is in stock just fine and only $6 each. Got both, with 2 day shipping for $24.
Maybe this is why no one trusts the internet :p I always forget to just phone about parts instead of relying on redneck websites. durp.

So, this problem is solved. Will have an update here shortly. If it all goes together, this is the easiest D44 rear disc upgrade option (KJ 8.25 rear disc). The only modifications necessary were to drill out new holes in the backing plate, enlarge the rotor center hole by about 0.008", and throw in some $6 spacers between the retainer plate and seal.

Well crap. Called Teraflex to ask about the two PN's, and turns out the one that says out of stock and no longer in production on the website, is in stock just fine and only $6 each. Got both, with 2 day shipping for $24.
Maybe this is why no one trusts the internet :p I always forget to just phone about parts instead of relying on redneck websites. durp.

So, this problem is solved. Will have an update here shortly. If it all goes together, this is the easiest D44 rear disc upgrade option (KJ 8.25 rear disc). The only modifications necessary were to drill out new holes in the backing plate, enlarge the rotor center hole by about 0.008", and throw in some $6 spacers between the retainer plate and seal.

Keep us posted. I have an MJ with a 44 and I'd love rear discs.

Keep us posted. I have an MJ with a 44 and I'd love rear discs.

Will do.
As far as I can tell though, the only issues were:
1. Backing plate bolt spacing, which may be correct for some D44's and not for others. Easy to redrill it though, and I'll post a template once I'm done.
2. Axle retainer to axle seal spacer (ordered Teraflex PN: 86261)
3. Axle backing plate studs are too short. Ordered a set from Teraflex as well, though you can find them anywhere.

As I've already tested these discs on my XJ 8.25, I can't imagine this won't work.

Back