• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets go racing!

I'd be interested in a bugified class... something like a stock I-6 block required, some of the OEM firewall and floor pan required class. :guitar:

I figured. Info is always good..

IslanderOffroad: I really feel it can be this simple as long as the drivers remember its all in good fun. That was part of the down fall of the JS Sportsman class. The drivers kept trying to change the class rather then step up to a pro jeep.

Yeah, I want something simple. Before I got into Jeeping I did alot of drag racing; most of which was just test and tune nights getting timeslips but every once in a while I'd enter the Friday night brackets at LACR. It was all just good fun, and it was cheap too!

Ok, I'm thinking Nov 7 will be the first race to try this. Here are the details..

Name: Stoddard 250
Date: Saturday, November 7, 2009
Drivers Meeting: 7:00 AM
Line Up: 7:30 AM
Race Time: 8:00 AM
Start/Finish: Off Hwy 15 at Outlet Center Drive
Course: B
Course Length: 36 Miles
Number of Laps: 6
5 Laps for Classes: 900, 12-Unlimited, 1300, 3700
4 Laps for Classes: 300, 1100, 1200, 1450, 1700, 1900
Time Limit: 8 Hours

This should give enough time to get a few jeeps ready. We will most likely be racing in the 1450 class because the entry would only be 200.00 each. There is no payback from MDR in this class but we can put our own pot together..

Can I do the 'thinking out loud' thing too?
;)

How about timed laps on a set up loop?
I always thought it would be cool to lay out a 15 mile course someplace
and run single laps for times. Sort of a braggin' thing. People could run
it anytime they wanted for practice, then a couple of times a year we
head out as a group and run it.

This is wayyyyy off topic and much different than what was proposed by
the original post, but it would allow some of those who have some interest in
going fast to compare times to the others around here.

Heck, it would even let Richard run Old Yeller' and let allow me to take my POS out too.

Just thinkin'.....

I think this could be fun. More of us are builing our rigs for speed as well as trails, and it would be fun to have a way to see how successful our builds are and to have some friendly competition. We could have an annual weekend run where we all showed up and ran the same course for time, just for fun. Then guys could practice on the same course for tuning and more friendly competition at other times. Call it the NAXJA loop. :)

Having a non-competitive way to do some friendy racing can help to justify the money we've spent on go fast goodies as well as give an opportunity to use our equipement in a fun way.

I like this idea.

I think this could be fun. More of us are builing our rigs for speed as well as trails, and it would be fun to have a way to see how successful our builds are and to have some friendly competition. We could have an annual weekend run where we all showed up and ran the same course for time, just for fun. Then guys could practice on the same course for tuning and more friendly competition at other times. Call it the NAXJA loop. :)

Having a non-competitive way to do some friendy racing can help to justify the money we've spent on go fast goodies as well as give an opportunity to use our equipement in a fun way.

I like this idea.

Tell ya' what. We will start a separate thread based on this idea.

Tell ya' what. We will start a separate thread based on this idea.

This would be a good idea, I don't want the two to get confused. In my opinion this idea is kind of dangerous.. There is no way to secure a loop like what is being suggested with out the proper permits.

As long as you don't make it an "Official Event" With entry fees, or any other kind of money involved, you don't need permits. I'm sure Richard has all the low-down on that type of thing.

-Dan

$200 is still alot more than I'd want to pay for a day of racing. Test and tune at the strip was 20 bucks. I'd pay 50 to do this.

$200 is still alot more than I'd want to pay for a day of racing. Test and tune at the strip was 20 bucks. I'd pay 50 to do this.

A good portion of your entry fee goes to paying for permits and environmental studies that the race promoter must pay for. Its not just to pay a track to race. 200.00 is a great deal. When we Best In The Desert its cost about 800.00 just to enter. then you have all the other race logistics to pay for as well. Just getting your team to Arizona or Nevada cost a small fortune if you dont have a contributing sponsor.

The idea for my post is to get people involved in desert racing not driving in a circle in some random location in the middle of lucurne. There is more to the desert racing experience then just driving fast in the dirt.

As long as you don't make it an "Official Event" With entry fees, or any other kind of money involved, you don't need permits. I'm sure Richard has all the low-down on that type of thing.

-Dan

That would be the idea. Just a place where we can head out and do a lap or tow for fun or practice.
Practicing is still legal in the Jeepspeed class isn't it?
;)

A good portion of your entry fee goes to paying for permits and environmental studies that the race promoter must pay for. Its not just to pay a track to race. 200.00 is a great deal. When we Best In The Desert its cost about 800.00 just to enter. then you have all the other race logistics to pay for as well. Just getting your team to Arizona or Nevada cost a small fortune if you dont have a contributing sponsor.

The idea for my post is to get people involved in desert racing not driving in a circle in some random location in the middle of lucurne. There is more to the desert racing experience then just driving fast in the dirt.

One thing I didn't hear Chris mention is that the money also goes toward insurance and safety provided by the race org. I can't imagine hitting some little kid doing a faimly trail ride because I was doing an unsanctioned race.

One thing I didn't hear Chris mention is that the money also goes toward insurance and safety provided by the race org. I can't imagine hitting some little kid doing a faimly trail ride because I was doing an unsanctioned race.

Don't you have insurance?

I do for the street, not for the trail and especially not for an offroad race.

Yes you do. Does your insurance policy say you can't drive on a dirt road? There are no such exclusions. The collision coverage also protects the bank if you have a loan, and the liability coverage covers the other person for you doing something stupid, like driving too fast offroad. Coverage while in a sanctioned race is another story, as is practicing or driving on a designated race course, like Willow Springs. Some states don't allow race track exclusions, how we are in CA should be checked out. Also, some states allow exclusions for street racing, but might only exclude damage to the vehicle and not liability.

Coverage offroad is certain, coverage while racing is questionable and not likely. Coverage while hauling ass across the desert with your buds isn't sanctioned racing or on a known designated race course and would be covered. Plenty of us have fixed our rigs with insurance money after rolling them on the trail. I'm checking out racing exclusions in CA, good question.

there has to be more travel but the other rules sound fine,just because i think it would be better to see street drivin jeeps soaking up whoops than paint shakers with people in them aka jeepspeed. just throwing that out there

Understood. Would probably keep me out of it for a few more years to be honest.

Back