• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

let this be THE peguot to AX-15 swap thread

I'm thinking my plan is going to be to buy a complete clutch master/line/slave unit prebleed and put that in. Even though I had just bought a slave. The petal feels a little soft but like I can't remember how hard it ever was in the first place. Accidentally I pump the clutch pedal with the slave not bolted to the bellhousing and I look under the truck to the clutch internals hanging out the end totally pushed out and a puddle of fluid. I doubt that ruined it and I might return it but I hat returning parts I've sorta/attempted to use. But I figure the 190$ for the complete master/slave unit would be a wise first step before pulling the trans again. I just wish I had time to do it during the week but I just started an internship.

I need help and figure this is the thread to post in instead of starting a new one. I just finished, well so i thought, swapping a 96 ax15 into my 88 comanche. I used the ba flywheel and clutch and everything else came from the 96. Used a cj pilot bearing, had the drive shaft shortened an inch, bolted the old speedo into the new tcase, used the renix cps. blah blah helpfully youve read a little of this thread if youre reading this. Put the jeep back on the ground, smile because im done, and then try to back it out and frown.

With the jeep on, and clutch depressed, it wont shift into any of its gears and grinds lightly when trying to put it in reverse so i stop trying. Its like stepping on the clutch pedal isnt disengaging the clutch. The clutch is fairly new, 4 months ago i threw a new engine in and did the clutch then. I installed a new external slave with the ax15, bench bleeding it with the master and line that came out of the 96. It didnt look like it was leaking so i assume the hydraulics are good. i also put in a new throwout bearing. Im using the 88 pedals if that can be affecting the throw of the master cylinder. anyway its like the throwout bearing isnt pushing the fingers of the pressure plate and freeing the clutch. any thoughts?
I have a similar issue when my 88 XJ warms up. Im in San Diego now so it gets warmer quicker, before in Alaska i only had the issue playing or breaking a trail in after heavy snowfall. The symptom it Its fine until it warms up, then its as though the throw out bearing is not pushing on the pressure plate. I had changed out the all in one master/slave unit with no luck. I noticed hat i had roasted fluid in the resivour so i used a spice injector and did a fluid swap all idid was roast more fluid. I did have to park my jeep for a bit longer than i wanted to. Upon further contemplation i believe my issue might actually be the original flywheel. I had several times where i the front seal went out on the ba and it was only topped off till i could get someplace to work on it again. I believe there was too much material löst in my case. Would you happen to have an update for yours?

I checked on car-part.com and theres a difference between 89-91 AX-15s and 92-93 AX-15s. I'm betting it's output spline count. 94+ will have the external slave so that's why there's a cutoff at 93.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Nooooo, that sounds too much like nambla.

The early AX-15s are 21 spline output. No idea where the cutoff is, probably 90.
Jeep on!
--Pete

There are no 21 spline AX15s. Anything claiming to be one is either a 21 spline AX4/5 (all AX4s and AX5s are 21 spline and look very similar to an AX15 if you don't know what to look for!) or a BA-10/5. The split between 91-down and 92-up AX15s is the pilot tip diameter - 91-down ones are the same diameter as the BA-10/5, 92-up they changed it to be the same as many other Chrysler vehicles use. 91-down is almost exactly 15mm, 92-up is almost exactly 3/4".

I will give anyone who can show me a 21 spline AX15 $20 on the spot. No photos, in-person only.

Back