• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Legal question for any lawers

poppyseed

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently got a ticket in the mail from a traffic camera an hour south of where I lived. This ticket is regarding speeding in a school zone in a vehicle I sold 5 months ago. Now obviously I can get off this quite easily as I have the bill of sale with the purchasers name and address. I also have proof I was at work almost 100 miles north. My question is when I go to court can I subpoena the guy I sold it to as a witness to make him look like an idiot in the courtroom? :lecture:

BE CAREFUL!

Sometime local governments send these tickets out knowing they have no case hoping that the recepient will just pay. Read the ticket carefully in the small print area.

Since when does the seller take the license plates? Is this a Washington thing?

BTW, at least in Ca you just take the ticket and bill of sale or docs to the DMV and you're done. The DMV cancels the ticket or whatever and no need to go to court. Why are you trying to be a douche about it.

Because i am a douche lol

You can't subpoena anybody without a motion from a judge. So the answer to your question is no - not without wasting a bunch of your time convincing a court first.

Technically you can't report the plates stolen, as you left them on the vehicle when you sold it. The sale and transfer from buyer to seller was voluntary and therefore it was your responsibility to retain the State's property (plates are owned by the State).

Your only option is show up in court and provide the Bill of Sale showing you were not the driver. In Colorado law, the State needs to provide 3 pictures for it to hold up in court - front plate, rear plate, and a picture of your mug. They only need 2 out of the 3 to fine you. See if you can't procure the picture from the traffic cam and attach it to the Bill of Sale when you meet with the judge.

Jim

Technically you can't report the plates stolen, as you left them on the vehicle when you sold it. The sale and transfer from buyer to seller was voluntary and therefore it was your responsibility to retain the State's property (plates are owned by the State).

Contact the police department, Secretary of State, whatever. I left a set of plates under the seat of a truck I sold, forgetting I had placed them there months prior. I called the Secretary of State and told them what happened. They marked it in their system and gave me some case number to reference. Whatever you do, report it to someone.

Contact the police department, Secretary of State, whatever. I left a set of plates under the seat of a truck I sold, forgetting I had placed them there months prior. I called the Secretary of State and told them what happened. They marked it in their system and gave me some case number to reference. Whatever you do, report it to someone.

Ill contact the CIA and have them pull it up on satellite feed. Shouldnt be too hard to get a seal team in there at night to pull the plates off.

Lol im just messin with ya :) I am definitely going to file something when I go to court with my documentation

Some states the plates go with the car. In VA the plates stay with the seller to transfer to another car or you can turn them into the VA DMV and get a refund(if your paid for your renewal less than 6 months before the sale of the vehicle) blah blah blah

You have to BE a lawyer to deal with the VA DMV. I would rather go to the dentist and get a tooth pulled than go to the DMV. Shorty knows what I'm talking about. My blood pressure peaks out just pulling into the parking lot LOL!

Not much help in your situation but good luck.

Some states the plates go with the car. In VA the plates stay with the seller to transfer to another car or you can turn them into the VA DMV and get a refund(if your paid for your renewal less than 6 months before the sale of the vehicle) blah blah blah

You have to BE a lawyer to deal with the VA DMV. I would rather go to the dentist and get a tooth pulled than go to the DMV. Shorty knows what I'm talking about. My blood pressure peaks out just pulling into the parking lot LOL!

Not much help in your situation but good luck.

I know what you mean, i use to work for shorty back in VA. At least the dmv out there was largely electronic, out here you have to go in for just about everything :doh:

Back