• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking tires.

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of TSL Swampers that has been leaking for about a year. I always thought it was from too much crap around the bead, and didn't worry too much about it. but I ttried to fix them yesterday, and there is air coming out from a few cracks in each tire's sidewall. those cuts that you get on the trail have developed into leaks..
I am trying to decide what to do about them.
They will hold air for 24 hours, so its not un-driveable as it is.
should i spend cash to get a tire shop to patch them or what? You all know how money is these days. I was thinking about a tube.. or somebody told me about tire snot to patch the leaks... but in the sidewall?

I dont know your $$$$ situation but if it were me, I would replace them. Maybe Im misunderstanding what is happening but that sounds like a blow out waiting to happen. Ive not heard of many people successfully patching a sidewall long term.

You could put tubes in them but be careful.

The tube will rub on the tire and that could cause a blowout if the tube fails.

Lots of guys that snow wheel (low PSI) here in the PNW SWEAR by tubes for thier tires. They don't really have any problems.

Bisa ply or radial?
if it's bisa ply you might be able to patch them if the cords aren't damaged.
head over to pirate, and in the billavista tech section he has a writeup on tires, and it ends up talking about the construction and what you can do with sidewall damage, It's a good read.

-not familiar with pirate...

ARRRRRRR!!!!!!!

they are bias ply's the cracks are still leaking. Its slow... i figure the plys have seperated at this point.. and a tube is my only option -or- to keep them aired up about every three days. (not too bad) i had thought about the tube thing, but the tires had once been used on beadlocks and I'm worried about chafing since the bead area on one side is less than normal.

I think that I will unseat them and clean the bead at the rim and use some bead sealer to glue them together in a stop-gap measure..
At least its something!
-bc

There is a flexible sidewall patch available. I have used them for years. As long as you prep it well and follow the instructions, you should be fine.

X2 with Tom's patch and Tube suggestions.
There will be no problem with the tire and tube combo.
When you assemble the tube in the tire, coat the inside of the tire good with baby powder. Works for drag tires, should work for off-road tires.

Back