• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Steering Fluid

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
So - turns out I am leaking power steering fluid pretty bad. I haven't had a chance to pull anything yet but it appears to be coming from the upper hose that goes into the steering box.

I wanted to ping you guys because I know most of you and trust your input (well, sort of - LOL!).

Because it is leaking, does this mean the box is going out?

Should I take the opportunity and upgrade or stick with a new stock box?

Thanks........

Ive replaced tons of leaking power steering hoses on various rigs. Doesnt mean the box is going out at all. the high pressure line is always the first to go out, often at those metal fittings to the rubber line, or its a bad o ring. . To start, id slap a new line on and bleed the system and drive it for a while after its clean and see whats going on. Line might not even be bad, could just be an o-ring , but I always do the line anyway because they are like 20$.

The high pressure hose is most likely leaking, it's pretty common from what I gather. Had to replace mine recently too. Don't think it's the box unless you're having some other issues. The hoses are cheap, should be in stock at NAPA or O'Reilly's. Pain to change though.

THANK YOU!!!!

Now - Not to sound like a total noob, but what are the steps for replacing the hose and bleeding the system. Do I need any special tools?

Of course - I have done neither before - LOL

No, no special tools. Used a line wrench on the ends, can't remember what size. As far as bleeding the system goes, I put the front end on jack stands and turned the wheel back and forth a few times to work the air out of the system. The hard part is getting your hands in there and threading the line into the box.

I just leave the cap off and turn the wheels back and forth with the car on, and repeat until the whining goes away. Also, Ill use a turkey baster to baste out old fluid after I run it for a minute and turn it off, and then start it up again. i also use a little MMO in there.

Just pull the Air Cleaner box out and make it really easy. I used Jon's process on my heep and also the wifes Mini van. The dealer wanted to sell me a new one. after changing the fluid and bleeding them, they are still going strong.. Good Luck!!

[hijack]If my power steering box is screaming at me when I turn and is having trouble turning my tires while in the rocks, could a simple flush/burp/new fluid solve my problem or should I just replace the pump from the get go?[/hijack]

I figured I could add to this topic rather than start my own thread.

Kevin,

In the rocks is sort of normal with a locker and bigger tires, is it all the time, or only after wheeling a while after its hot?
I would turkey baste out all of the fluid in the res, add fresh fluid, and some MMO. then leave the cap off, turn it on, and crank back and forth until the whining goes away. if it keeps whining, repeat multiple times until it goes away. if it wont go away, you might need a new pump. then if still doing it, id consider swapping in a known good box to see.

do you have adequate steering bracing, trackbar bracing? how good is the box? frame plating?
with only 33s I wouldnt expect it to be too bad.

Back