• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking rear axle seal

Toeydiver

NAXJA Forum User
I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! Jeep Grand Cherokee limited, up on jacks diffarential cover removed. How do I get the rear axle out????????

Last edited:
Re: leaking rear seal

Toeydiver said:
I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! Jeep Grand Cherokee limited, up on jacks diffarential cover removed. How do I get the rear axle out????????

IIRC....you unbolt the backing plate off the side...and it slides out I think. 4 bolts should hold it in there.

done that and more. Also took diff. cover off and removed 4 bolts in there. still won't bmove.....

Toeydiver said:
done that and more. Also took diff. cover off and removed 4 bolts in there. still won't bmove.....
I hope they wern,t the cap bolts for the carrier.
What axle are you working on ? they came with several types C-Clip style
.Look on the carrier(where ring gear is bolted on) there should be a cross shaft(round bar) from one side to the other.This shaft will either bolted or have a roll pin thru it into the case.Remove this bolt/pin,remove the big pin(cross shaft).Push axle in-Remove C-clip- pull out axle
If the axle has pressed on bearings -Remove the 4 nuts holding the axle backing plate- pull out axle

Back