• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knocking? Tapping? Loose flexplate? Video...

ok i am bringing this one back.... if nothing else it proves that i searched. i have a slight knocking on my lower end, and i assumed that it was the flex plate since it is very similar to the clips that are listed here. so i opened up the inspection cover, tightened the flex plate bolts (which were not all that loose) and turned it on... well it was still there, but louder now that the inspection plate was off. so i pulled out the stethescope, and poked around while it was running, and it was definatly the loudest right at the end of the bellhousing just before the edge where the inspection plate was. so what else could this be besides flex plate?

oh and just to be sure, i loosened and retightened all the bolts again just for good measure and the knocking was still there. any suggestions?

thx

G

Get an inspection mirror. The other problem I've seen was a cracked flex plate. It will crack on the crankshaft to flex plate mounting area. It will be real hard to see though.

That, or I suppose the flexplate to crank bolts could be loose. Although I haven't heard of that. It's either loose torque converter bolts or the flexplate being cracked itself.

lol, the first week I had my 92 XJ I had to retighten the flexplate bolts. It was so loose it was making a scrapping noise and was actually hitting somewhere in the bellhousing. It's getting an overhaul now so it's no big deal....then I remembered I used Locktite so getting those out may be a bit difficult.

so basically what you fine gents are saying is that i need to detach the tranny from the engine becuase its more than can be dealt with from the inspection cover...

thanks for the reply's

G

You are correct, what you need to look at and access is behind the crank in the bellhousing.

Although if you wanted you could use the mirror as suggested to see if you see any cracks on the flexplate.

Forgot to mention. Ever since I tightened the torque converter bolts, I get a whirring from the transmission in all gears except park and neutral. Almost sounds like a loud power steering pump but entirely goes away when in park or neutral. Seems to do it more when in gear and stopped (holding the brakes)

What can it possibly be? I can get a video sometime to record the sound. Trans pump maybe? Not sure what else could have been affected by the torque converter bolts being loose.

I know it's been explained where the inspection plate is but is there a picture so I know what to look for? I've only had my XJ since March.

Its a 4.0 litter! keep driving it, mine been making a similar noise for 100,000 miles like i said its a 4.0.
I know someone who has just entered the 400,000 range on theirs. Im convinced they all have there own quirks and sounds but what is undisputable is that they run and run and run.

Back