• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock Sensor

kj139

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know where I can order a Knock Sensor for a 1988, 4.0? I need both ends. I think I have searched the entire internet and went to every parts house in town with no luck.

Thanks!

Kevin

kj139 said:
Does anybody know where I can order a Knock Sensor for a 1988, 4.0? I need both ends. I think I have searched the entire internet and went to every parts house in town with no luck.

Thanks!

Kevin

Sensor, Knock (Jeep) 3300 2933

2508oz7.png

Chrysler Parts Direct says the number has been superseded. Often searching by part number can be more productive, try both the original and the Chrysler direct number. The Chrysler direct number and the applicable model years sure don't seem right to me. A data base error may be part of the problem in finding the part, I've seen it before. Early Renix air filters and late 80's Chevy truck front brake parts to name a couple. they were always the wrong part or unavailable.

Funny I found a listing for knock sensor (sensor, knock) on every parts disc (in the 4.0 block section), between 88 and 96.

Last edited:
dude, dont pay anything for a knock sensor. i have two lying around. i pull em for free at the local pnp. go to your local pnp. i could even go pick one up for ya, i wont sell my spares. ive already broken it once....

kj139 said:
Wrong one...I guess I will go to the pnp and see what I can find.
The part size and shape changed, but it functions the same, originally it was long and round and the new style is kinda flat and round.

That's the type that I broke...it looks just like an injector.The new ones have a round, hard plastic doughnut type sensor. If I buy the new type, will it plug into the wires, etc? They're not cheap, so I'd rather not find out the hard way...otherwise I'll hit the pnp as soon as I get a day off (probably Tuesday).

Thanks again!

kj139 said:
That's the type that I broke...it looks just like an injector.The new ones have a round, hard plastic doughnut type sensor. If I buy the new type, will it plug into the wires, etc? They're not cheap, so I'd rather not find out the hard way...otherwise I'll hit the pnp as soon as I get a day off (probably Tuesday).

Thanks again!

If you get the one that is made for the 87-90 XJ it will plug right in with no problems

go to pnp and pull a few of em. i just cut em off the harness and use a cresent wrench to get em. quick, easy, and now i have a spare...

Several of us don't use the knock sensors, including me and 5-90. The HO engine never had one, just Renix.

Ecomike said:
Several of us don't use the knock sensors, including me and 5-90. The HO engine never had one, just Renix.

Put me on that list. I bought a new KS when I had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago. I unplugged it trying to diagnose a timeing issue, never plugged it back in. I tow 2-3K pounds with my 90 XJ here in the mountains on a daily basis on 87 octane and when i change the plugs every 6 months they look new. No pings/detonation and it runs strong. I don't see the need in it if all is working right.

kj139 said:
Mike,

Any thoughts about the shifting problem? Oh, and I put in a new Starter Relay and new ground straps.

Shifting problem? :eyes: Are we shifting topics now? LOL!

Back