• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock & Low oil pressure at start up.

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
So this is what happens, 99% of the time when I start my Jeep I get a loud knock for about 3 seconds and no oil pressure. After 3 or so seconds the oil pressure comes up to normal and the knock disapears.....what could cause this?? :fuse:

Fram oil filters will do this.. The jeep motor oil filters from mopar, Mobil-1, K&N among others have a better metal anti-drain back valve in them. The frams are cardboard.

Oil pump taking a hike. Isn't there a anti-drain back valve in the pump or block.

jeepboy381, hate to break it to you but you are probably describing a worn engine. When there is too much clearance at the bearings you lose pressure initially. When the oil circulates it fills these gaps and eventually builds pressure. Go to a heavier oil and put in a can of super heavy oil (honey thickness) at each oil change. Change the oil as regularly as you can and you'll get some more life from your engine.

Your profile says 2000 XJ, would this be the Jeep in question?

Engine? How many miles? Current oil filter, does it have a silicone drain-back valve or a Nitrile rubber drain-back valve? Just curious.

Some interesting reading from the Filter Manufacturers Council (whoever they are): http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/93-1R1.pdf

JP: that was an interesting article. I am surprised they didn't make the suggestion to fill the crankcase then install the replacement filter. This would allow any trapped air to escape through the oil filter circuit. I will change my steps from this point forward.

Back