• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KJ diesel in an XJ?

ZmOz said:
Not in the U.S. Propane is about $1.85 here, while gas is about $2. Given the fact that you need more propane to go the same distance as gas, it will actually cost quite a bit more per mile.

$2/gallon? Sign me up for that: in L.A. we're being hit for around $2.30/gallon for 87 where I am (though I have seen it as low as $2.15/gallon - prices do seem to be slowly coming down). Diesel's down around $1.90-$1.95, so there's a pretty decent difference between the two.

Also, as an aside for anyone who doesn't know about it yet: www.gaspricewatch.com - locate the cheapest stations in your area.

I've heard of a couple of Cummins 4BT (3.9L, 4cyl) swaps into XJ's, that get close to 35MPG on the highway.

4BT's in marine applications are rated to 250HP, but that would probably shake an XJ to death :D

John90XJ said:
:flame: Let the flame war begin but wouldn't a solid axle swap into a diesel KJ be easier? :flame:

may well be.

Know anyone giving away KJs?

It may have already been mentioned but...The Diesel won't be available in CA. So I doubt you'll be able to swap it in. CA sucks.

casm said:
$2/gallon? Sign me up for that: in L.A. we're being hit for around $2.30/gallon for 87 where I am (though I have seen it as low as $2.15/gallon - prices do seem to be slowly coming down). Diesel's down around $1.90-$1.95, so there's a pretty decent difference between the two.

Also, as an aside for anyone who doesn't know about it yet: www.gaspricewatch.com - locate the cheapest stations in your area.

Just a couple weeks ago I filled up for $2.49 here. Now most places are around $2.05-2.15. I about crapped myself the other day when I saw Costco selling gas for $1.86! The 76 just across the street was still $2.25...

Yucca is right...the KJ is IMHO way too kia-ish....but DC is big into the "minivan-as-a-sportutility" concept these days (hemi or not, the new durango is an abomination), so thats what you get out of em. The folks from Car-and-Driver (note the mag's first name) complained incessantly about the XJ so DC obliged and went IFS with the KJ and <groan> the WJ's replacement. IRS couldn't be too far behind...Ford will see to that. soon you will be able to go down to your Jeep dealer and buy a shiny new Jeep Grand Voyager...with a deisel. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

ZmOz said:
Just a couple weeks ago I filled up for $2.49 here. Now most places are around $2.05-2.15. I about crapped myself the other day when I saw Costco selling gas for $1.86! The 76 just across the street was still $2.25...

You'll hate this, then. It was taken last weekend at the last-chance gas station off of I-15 north at Cima Road. Desert price gouging has always been bad, but this is by far the worst I've ever seen it.

Back