• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of the Hammers.....should we race 2010?

Team NAXJA will not be racing in the '10 version of the KOH race.

Pssh, like you know.

Did Richard get to talk to Dave Cole at ORE?

I got the impression that the KOH organizers were rather impressed with Team NAXJAparty1:

Good point, Cracker! I'm a broke single mom of 3 teens, but even I broke down & started paying up my $35 a year or two ago! Good causes, good people, and good times. Totally worth it.

We've been on again, off again for awhile. It is a HUGE commitment of time and resources. I'm still unemployed so funds to go racing are nil, and I figure it will cost around $4000 to race this year. Last year I spent $10,000 (my wife isn't reading this, is she?), but much of what we had to do last year we don't have to do this year. All the NAXJA folks were great, and through the club sponsorship and the various fund raising activities we had, plus a couple other sponsrships, we raised about $5000, but that still left a chunk out of my pocket that I just don't have this year.

While the buggy is in pretty good shape, there are some changes that we'd have to make to meet the new rules. It will still be a lot of work to get it ready to race, and I'm not sure I'll have to time or energy. I'm seriously looking at starting my own business and am not sure how much extra time I'll have to focus on KOH......just don't know.

Also, we had hopes of some kind of race sponsorship that would get us a guaranteed spot in the race, but it all changed this year and so that didn't happen. We would need to enter the Last Chance Qualifyer, and while we think we'd have pretty decent odds of qualifying you never know for sure. Our team would need to be on the lakebed for the entire week, since the LCQ is on Tues, and that is a lot to ask of people. Buggy prep, fund raising activities, a weeks vacation at least, and a TON of mental time and energy and we may run 15-20 minutes in the LCQ and that's it. Plus the wear and tear on the buggy, which without racing is very stout and can wheel for many seasons with minimal maintenance. So, there are all of our excuses.

We'd still love to race. It is a truly exhilarating experience. We also are VERY appreciative of all the participation we had from our NAXJA friends, and it means a lot to us that so many people had such a good time working on Team NAXJA. I know you would all like to do it again. I also know that Hammerking Productions recognizes and apprectiates what Team NAXJA did and how we race, and would really like to see us there again.

Thanks for the post, Richard. I wish I was closer (for a whole raft of reasons,) I'd help out if I could.

Richard,
I think you could find the support if you decide to do it.

If you can manage it within your personal life, I think you should! Sounds like Paul's into it. Dave? Bueller?

Carol

I'm working on becoming an official spectator this year.
Wouldn't hanging at the Sledge plaque during the race be cooolllll?

Was that the same Plaque I saw get ripped off its rock by one of the buggies :D

Hey, they signed something? Screw financial or family convenience--they're stuck now!!! Let's do it!!

Back