• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keys lost on 89 Limited!!!

Cox89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This past weekend my wife and I used my Jeep and winch to pull the shrubbery up in front of our house. My wife pulled the Jeep around back of the house and parked it. Long story short, she’s lost the keys and I only had one set. I have a 89 Limited.. Can I get a set of keys made from the Vin number on a Jeep this old? I belong to AAA. Will they pay for a locksmith to rekey? I can replace the ignition key mechanism but, the door locks??? Thanks for any suggestions.

Dealer will or should be able to make a set of keys.....However,YOU WILL HAVE TO PROVE PROOF OF OWNERSHIP....Registration....Insurance .....title or whatever.................

You could get a new set of keys and locks, not to hard to put in, I unfortunatly had to do this past weekend. Heres where I got mine
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=locks&catid=95
Even though its team grand waggy it fits your xj. they have them for ignition and hatch as well. Just throwing this option out there, my locks were shot, if they werent I might have had a locksmith make one for me.Good Luck

Before you spend any money call all your jeep friends and tell them to bring their keys over. I found the key to my brothers 95 YJ worked in my 91 XJ doors, ignition, even glovebox, $.99 fix. Until I got my 94 I carried his key. Can't hurt!

Called AAA they came out and took steering wheel off and got the number off the ignition lock mechanism then made a key. Then got the number off the glove box and made a door key. AAA paid for the ignition key. All I had to pay was $10.00 to get a door key made. Would have been over one hundred dollars if I didn't belong to AAA. I'm happy!!! Vin # does not work to get keys made on models this old. Thanks for the reply's

Last edited:
Back