• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key-in-Igniton chime wont stop!!!

Jeepedo129

NAXJA Forum User
I just did a blend door replacement on my neighbors 2000 WJ and everything is back together and working like it should. EXCEPT, The key in ignition warning chime wont stop when the driver door is open, even if the key isn't in the ignition.:gonnablow All the lights are off and the ignition is in the off position. when you shut the door it stops or if you start the jeep it stops. His key, like so many other 99-00 jeep keys, can be pulled out of the ignition at anytime. I am wondering if this could be the culprit, and if so How do I fix it. :thumbup:

P.S. dont hate on the WJ, I personally drive a 99 XJ:wave1:

No "hate on the WJ", but as with all things there is a time and place--the timing is Ok, the place--XJ OEM tech--wasn't.

If you can remove the key in any position, replace the lock cylinder, and possibly the ignition switch too.

If you can remove the key in any position, replace the lock cylinder, and possibly the ignition switch too.

I agree with Joe, I'd suspect a faulty lock cylinder first, then the ignition switch second. replace the cheap part first then if that doesn't work start testing things :D

Thanks for the reply, I'll be trying the key barrel first then the switch.

I know I should have posted somewhere else but, I have searched high and low for this and I didn't get a reply from jeepforum. It always seems like I get better answers from naxja. As always, thanks for the insight.

Back