• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kenwood cd player problem

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I got a Kenwood KDC-MPV 8025 from my fiance's brother in-law. I wired up the Yellow to the Yellow, Red to the factory purple/white-stripe, and black to the black ground stock wire. Turn on the Jeep, the unit turns on, the flip down deck flips out about half way then goes back to it's semi closed mode... I can look down into the little slit and see that the unit is indeed on... but doesn't stay open to use the controls and get out of demo mode. Anyone a car audio guru or know much about Jeep stereo wiring at all? I'm pretty sure it's hooked up right... unless i'm not getting a good enough connection on the wires. Is there another wire in the Kenwood harness that needs to be wired up for it to work properly? If so.. which? Thanks! I need to figure this out before Friday... getting married and we need tunes while we drive up to where we're going on our honeymoon!

You should only need power 12V (red), ground (black), and continuous (yellow) for the stereo to turn on and function properly. Sounds like the CD player might be malfunctioning. My Kenwood stopped taking CD's a couple a weeks ago. Im guessing it's used. Stereo's act funny when moved from one vehicle to another. Check your ground, I've had problems with the ground in my jeep, ran a seperate wire for ground.

i just changed my head unit today because i was having problems with it locking up while listening to SIRIUS... anyways i changed the wires even though i didn't have to and it was black to black, yellow to yellow, red to red, my purple with white i believe was a speaker positive... i have a 2000 xj

The factory wiring for a 2000 is

BK: Ground
OR: Dimmer switch signal
RD/WT: Ingnition switch signal
PK: Battery +
BK/YL: Headlamp switch output (don't ask what is't for I don't know)
DB/RD: Right front speaker -
VT: Right front speaker +
BR/RD: Left front speaker -
DG: Left front speaker +
DB/OR: Right rear speaker -
DB/WT: Right rear speaker +
BR/LB: Left rear speaker -
BR/YL: Left rear speeker+
DG/RD: Infinity amp turn on lead

There should be no yellow, or purple with a white tracer wires.
It sounds to me like there is something wrong with it. FWIW Kenwoods seem to be problematic at best. At least the ones I have had experence with.

mtsz52784 said:
my 2000 works great i have no problems just tryin to put some insight... i know www.the12volt.com has some wiring diagrams and talk about cherokees
Yea that seems like a decent place to look around. I have used it befor when trying to figure something out.

Bdiddy11 said:
Ok, so I got a Kenwood KDC-MPV 8025 from my fiance's brother in-law. I wired up the Yellow to the Yellow, Red to the factory purple/white-stripe, and black to the black ground stock wire. Turn on the Jeep, the unit turns on, the flip down deck flips out about half way then goes back to it's semi closed mode... I can look down into the little slit and see that the unit is indeed on... but doesn't stay open to use the controls and get out of demo mode. Anyone a car audio guru or know much about Jeep stereo wiring at all? I'm pretty sure it's hooked up right... unless i'm not getting a good enough connection on the wires. Is there another wire in the Kenwood harness that needs to be wired up for it to work properly? If so.. which? Thanks! I need to figure this out before Friday... getting married and we need tunes while we drive up to where we're going on our honeymoon!
Sounds like you've got it right, sounds like a bad unit to me.

Sean

Back