• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keeping the tranny in 1st while in 4lo?

While decending hills, mine would shift to 2nd.... Got the shifter from the Vendor, and now I have total control. Love it. (although I still can't get my TQ to lock up...)

The AW4 is supposed to remain in 1 until RPM's hit the red line when the selector is in 1/2. If it is upshifting to 2 before then, your linkage cable is not properly adjusted at the throttle end.

If you want selectivity and you don't feel comfortable doing trans mods then I strongly advise you to get a shift kit from BrettM here on the board (AWshifting.com). If, on the other hand you aren't intimidated by a little wiring, then try this mod by Gojeep, also here on this board (http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoSwitch.htm).

I personally don't need full manual control of my trans, if I did I'd get Brett's kit in a heartbeat, so I did the mod as per Gojeep above.

And I'm with Gil x2, hockey10588. Try a little more tact when you post up about members/vendors products and mods. Brett has contibuted more to this organization and his fellow members than you will ever know, and he's never an a$$hat to anyone. Too bad you can't say the same.

In the FSM, one of the diagnostic checks for the tranny is to pull the fuse for the TCU. This disables all gears except 1st and Reverse. If you could figure out how to put the switch somewhere in that wire, It should do exactly what you are looking for, Robert.

Although Brett's controllers are hella cool.

-Dan

Dan Turner said:
In the FSM, one of the diagnostic checks for the tranny is to pull the fuse for the TCU. This disables all gears except 1st and Reverse. If you could figure out how to put the switch somewhere in that wire, It should do exactly what you are looking for, Robert.

Although Brett's controllers are hella cool.

-Dan

Killing the controller power doesn't quite disable all the gears. In (D) you get 4th, (3) you get 3rd, (1-2) you get 1st and the TC stays unlocked.

The notion that gearing or the tranny cable affects the 1-2 shift point is wrong as well. The computer is going off the input from the rear output speed sensor (not the VSS) which is independant of the gearing. The tranny cable does not affect the shift points as thats controlled by the computer.

Of course, no-one here mentioned what model year they were talking about and there may be some differences in tranny computer 1-2 upshift logic between model years. A dirty NSS can also cause odd problems as it tells the computer when you have the shifter in the (3) or (1-2) positions.

hockey10588 said:
no dont spend $130 on a stupid controller from some vender. I wired mine up myself for under $15. all you need is a switch, some wire, and a wire tap.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234510

just follow that write up. I also did the torque converter switch on that site since I was already in the TCU harness and those 2 mods together are so perfect. If you want any pics let me know and I'll snap a couple

OK well this didnt work on a 90! I just did a custom sheet metal cover and made a semi cool switch panel and wired up my rock lights and front lights and a tranny switch like that article.

Well it would at times try to get in first but mostly just stay in second no matter what when in 1/2.

I tryed adjusting the tranny cable and that did nothing even after I re connected the tranny controller like stock.

So has anyone tried to do the above setup in that link OR a controller like Bretts on a 90? Maybe the tranny controller TCU is different?

I Just want to be able to stay in first if I so wish. Right now I can be at a stop, put it in 1/2 and accelerate moderatly, about 3Krpms it shifts in to second. Kinda like it was just in D.. But it never goes above 2nd. Then as soon as I take my foot of the gas it slows while in 2nd and then about 30MPHit shifts in to 1st. till I stop..

Mine is a 90. When I take power off the TCU it shifts just like lawsoncl said.
I made my own controller, it's been a while so I don't remember the exact wiring. The setup from that article should work though.

OK well this didnt work on a 90! I just did a custom sheet metal cover and made a semi cool switch panel and wired up my rock lights and front lights and a tranny switch like that article.

I don't see how this mod can force you into first and looks pretty pointless. For the first diagram: With the switch in C, the TCU is powered and everything is normal. In B, you've killed power to the TCU and you shift as described before (1-2) gives you first, (3) gives you 3rd, (D) gives you 4th. But in A, you're applying power to just solenoid 2 which is normally third gear, but I guess if the shifter is in (1-2) you get the 1/2 as before.

lawsoncl said:
I don't see how this mod can force you into first and looks pretty pointless. For the first diagram: With the switch in C, the TCU is powered and everything is normal. In B, you've killed power to the TCU and you shift as described before (1-2) gives you first, (3) gives you 3rd, (D) gives you 4th. But in A, you're applying power to just solenoid 2 which is normally third gear, but I guess if the shifter is in (1-2) you get the 1/2 as before.

It forces it into first by taking power from the TCU. Then when it's in 1-2 it stays in first. When power is applied to the solinoid and the shifter is in 1-2 it will shift into 2nd and stay there.

Last edited:
Back