• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just how necessary is the Auxillary fan>?

LOL.... since when do designers and engineers have a clue?

:laugh:

gotta wonder sometimes eh ... ?

This is a good thread .....

Not only does it have all the personal views on the nescessity of the aux e-fan fitting .....

It also shows that different locations / different model XJs ... and vehicle fittings / driving styles are the determining factors ... ;)

Now that I have my XJ running at a constant 195'f ( give or take a coupla degrees & in hot Texas type weather ) ... I've decided my e-fan is exactly what it should be ... a safeguard for a yet to be found extreme overheating situation ...

What I've decided is not nescessary on this one any more .... is the fan over-ride switch .... as in the past 4 months engine temps have yet to reach the computer setting to activate the fan anyway ..... perfect ....

And no ... this XJ does not have a stock radiator nor the oil lines running through the radiator tank.

:cheers:

Last edited:
if you have a/c and are planning to use it when driving under 25mph or so i would HIGHLY suggest you replace the fan. reason being, the way a/c works you will get worse/poor performance from it at low speed and idle, as well as creating wayy too high pressures in the system, damaging the $$$$ a/c compressor. Not worth it.

In the meantime i'd make sure your radiator fan clutch is in excellent working condition.

You guys say all this, yet for the first year I owned my XJ it never had one. I had no idea there was even supposed to be one until my brother bought another jeep, and it had one.

I never experienced any problems, yet the cooling system was in great working order. After finding out about said fan, I went to the junkyard and pulled one and threw it in.

Now I'm not suggesting drive without it. Engineers put it there for a reason.

Engineering and Accounting are in a constant battle. If Engineering manages to win (those pinheads in Accounting win entirely too often for my liking...) we have to assume they won for a reason - and that reason would be because they've convinced those morons in Accounting that something actually is necessary (and don't base that decision on the MSRP, either. The MSRP has no relation to the actual cost of the thing...)

Considering the number of times I've staved off an overheat when sitting on the Intersstate Parking Lots we have out here by simply flipping the toggle ON that I'd installed (to force the fan to turn ON,) I'd say it's fairly necessary.

It's wired to come on when the coolant temperature reaches a certain point (typically 220-225*F) OR the aircon is turned ON. I simply added a third option for the OR - and I've often been glad I did.

My e-fan never turns on during the winter, fall and spring. I also live in CT and make mostly short trips. However, when I'm sitting in traffic on a 90* summer day, its worth its weight in gold.

Back