• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought OEM Tow hooks couple of questions

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought these on here to install on my 99 XJ. I just wanted to make sure this is all the required hardware to install properly. Also is there any good write-ups on installation of Factory Tow hooks? I know you have to take off the bumper and such, just want to make sure. Thanks everyone!
P1000559.jpg

They look pretty good. But, I would add the frame tie-in brackets that custom 4x4 uses. They would be easy to fab up yourself but they really help reinforce these into the frame.
Adam

By the time you buy the brackets. hooks and the tie in's it is cheaper to buy a front mount receiver from e - trailer. I had mine bought and delivered for $109. IMOA a much better recover point rated to 9000# straight pull.

Turfzilla said:
By the time you buy the brackets. hooks and the tie in's it is cheaper to buy a front mount receiver from e - trailer. I had mine bought and delivered for $109. IMOA a much better recover point rated to 9000# straight pull.

That may be good advice, but late. He already bought the hooks.

I like ALBUSH1 would see if Custom 4x4 has the frame tie in brackets avaiable w/o the whole kit, or if you have metal skills fab your own. Here's a link to installation of C4x4's brakets and hooks. The factory should be pretty much the same. To remove the bumper is three bolts each side.

It will be good to test those hooks in Moab next October.:wave:

http://custom4x4fabrication.com/pdf/Tow_Hook_Bracket_Instructions.pdf

Take care,
Tom

Turfzilla said:
True, I still may in the future, but recieved a great deal on these, so I fiqured these would have to suffice for now. Thanks

albush1 said:
They look pretty good. But, I would add the frame tie-in brackets that custom 4x4 uses. They would be easy to fab up yourself but they really help reinforce these into the frame.
Adam

I have the Custom 4X4 brackets on my 2000 XJ and I would agree to have the frame tie-in brackets too. You can see what is meant below in the pic. They will help support the tow hook brackets.

towhookbrackets.jpg

Also you might know already that you will have to cut the bumper caps to make the hooks fit. I did not like how they were hard to get to with regular hooks so I switched them out for a pair or 97-01 OEM hooks. The OEM hooks sit lower and out more. Makes it easier to get to and keep factory look. Pics below.

Before with regular hooks.
00XJTowHooksV14.jpg

97-01 OEM hooks
FactoryTowHooksXJ1.jpg

Same brackets with OEM hooks before new bumper caps.
FactoryTowHooksXJ2.jpg

Custom 4X4 brackets with OEM hooks, but new bumper caps with factory tow hook cut outs.
JEEPPIC1.jpg

You are missing two pieces that tie in the brackets to the front cross member. The OEM kit I bought for my 98 had them as part of the kit. Those don't look like the factory front hooks, the blocks on the front OEM hooks are much thicker.

99xjclassic said:
I just bought these on here to install on my 99 XJ. I just wanted to make sure this is all the required hardware to install properly. Also is there any good write-ups on installation of Factory Tow hooks? I know you have to take off the bumper and such, just want to make sure. Thanks everyone!
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p33/wingeier/P1000559.jpg

Well, it isn't all the hardware. You are missing the brackets which brace for side loads and go between the lower radiator mount and the bracket. I wish I had a pix.

Also appears to missing are the L brackets that reinforces the front two bumper mount holes to the radiator mount <front> shown in a photo above, may come stock with your 99', or may need to be fabricated.

The stock hooks that came on my 98' came with the bumper mount and tow hook bracket welded together at the factory for faster assembly. Also the L brackets were welded on. The side load brackets were separate, but not very usefull on a serious angle pull to the inside.

To install your brackets, follow the basic instructions in the jeep horizons link.

edit: Rich is right, those are not the OEM hooks. The OEM hooks are deeper and are only rated for 5Klb.
Those may work, though you may need to trim more.

OEM 97-01 Tow Hook Kit. More bracket parts with the OEM kit for better support. Most after market kits do not come with that many brackets which is not good if you really use them.

This image will help explain what Zuki-Ron is stating.

21_12.jpg

99xjclassic said:
Well thanks for all the great information and photos, looks like I am missing a few parts. I might just have to buy a front reciever

Just get a jcrofforad.com front bumper with the frame kit and call it good.
That has two shackle mounts and/or a receiver built in.

Just as stated earlier, the OEM brackets have the bumper mounting bracket welded to them from the factory. They also 2 other sets of brackets; the 'L' bracket for a tie in 'frame' support and also another bracket to support with side pulls. Also, the 97+ hooks have a longer drop to them as pictured earlier. The set you have are definitely NOT oem. IMO, the factory is the best hooks on the market due to all the extra support brackets included.

97+ OEM bracket left, pre97 OEM bracket right. Notice both have the bumper mounting brackets welded on (dead give away on factory hooks)
dsc00127.jpg

Just as stated earlier, the OEM brackets have the bumper mounting bracket welded to them from the factory. They also 2 other sets of brackets; the 'L' bracket for a tie in 'frame' support and also another bracket to support with side pulls. Also, the 97+ hooks have a longer drop to them as pictured earlier. The set you have are definitely NOT oem. IMO, the factory is the best hooks on the market due to all the extra support brackets included.

97+ OEM bracket left, pre97 OEM bracket right. Notice both have the bumper mounting brackets welded on (dead give away on factory hooks)
dsc00127.jpg

sorry to bring up old threads, but does this pic mean I can't use the factory bracket from a 92 to install on my 99?

Back