• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought a new to me 2001 Xj! Lighting questions.

OK ...
i just spent several hours doing some routine maintanance .. detailing inside of vehicle ( rainx on glass, armorall on interior ) ..

under the hood ...

1. New Autolite O.E.M. type plugs at .035 . ( the others looked AWESOME, dry as a bone, but were in need of replacing . the gaps were like .060 haha )
2. siphoned out every drop of brake fluid in reservoir and filled with new .. ( lazy mans bleed )
3. removed low pressure side of power steering fluid, which happens to be at the bottom of the power steering reservoir, drained, and filled with new.
4. changed engine oil to Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic with mopar filter.
5. drained 3 quarts of tranny oil from pan without removing, and filled back up with 3 quarts of castrol dex/merc.
6. new air filter
7. topped off windshield washer fluid with rainx brand awesomeness....
8. new wipers front and back one inch longer than factory calls for .. ( always worked for me that way )

IPF headlamps on the way from quadratec, harness on the way from eautoworks, undecided on bulbs, but ill probably stick to something cheap from napa .. the difference im sure will be so huge that i dont need to spend 75 dollars on 2 bulbs .. i have spent enough so far.

On the list of things to do:
1. drain and fill both pumkins with new diff oil. ( need to find out what oil to get and gaskets)
2. drain and refill transfer case with new oil. ( need to find out what oil to get )
3. flush cooling system ( have supplys on hand ) God thats gonna suck and take up some time. Sigh.
4. follow up with another tranny drain in a month.
5. find out why my driver side door speaker isnt working
6. purchase and install fog lights before major storm hits soon.

So, i have a comment and a couple questions .

1. sea foam .. I saw the youtube vids, and watched the reviews and saw what it does .. what do you guys think of it .. IM VERY WEARY of POURING something down my throttle body, and SUCKING liquid down the pvc valve or master cylinder vacuum hose. Scary stuff man ! I don't wanna do that to my new baby ~
2. I need a set of floor mats. Since its winter time and i have a set of huskyliners in my '09 Ram, i want another set of huskys for the cherokee. Who is a good forum sponsor i should go to ? I'd like to support the sponsor/industry leader type businesses who support US here.

lastly, i had all intentions to get these factory rims powercoated. I saw how the rust is setting into the steel wheels. I called 2 places locally and one wants $75 a rim, and the othe $100 ?!!? Good golly ! I guess i'll have to snipe craigslist for a set cleaner than my own. I should get new tires for the winter, but these have about 6-8 months left on them. I'll need some new rims by then because i'm NOT putting new meaty tires on these factory steelies that are starting to rust. Dang it !

Thanks to all who have since replied and those that will continue to. I'm having a lot of fun with this !

Glad to see you used Dexron tranny fluid. That's what this Toyota-designed tranny wants. The transfer case also wants Dex/Merc, although it's not as picky as the trans. Seeing as how it's an '01, try to find out if the head has ever been replaced, as these are a source of heartburn. Search or Google '0331 head', it'll open your eyes!

Floor mats - weathertech DigitalFit floor liners, worthr EVERY penny.

SeaFoam - Have a set of Neon injectors soaking in some now, but I too am a bit skerd to suck it into the motor... although I used to run a wee-bit of trans fluid into my wankle, so I guess it can't be that bad.

Wheels - $175 to strip and PC the wheels??? Just pick up a set of Cragars for $200 for the set of four!

Seeing as how it's an '01, try to find out if the head has ever been replaced, as these are a source of heartburn. Search or Google '0331 head', it'll open your eyes!

ohhhh ffffffuuuuuuuuuuu$$%%((((((#***@ .......

i just went out there .. no clue where the casting mark on the head is ..

as per this link on found from your link ..

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391831&page=2

post # 32 .. 0331 or 0630 casting # can be found on the drivers side of the head below the valve cover seam and above the intake exhaust manifold in the middle of the head.

on my engine, there is foil backed insulation in that area .. i imagine its all factory and unmolested ..

SIGH ... well i guess if my head cracks, it will just give me another reason to get a stroker ... : )

I was fresh to HID's and didn't know about proper projectors .. frankly, having gone through a nightmare to make them work, i would never do it again .. i tried every canceler, and doo dad available not to get the flicker ... eventually i had to solder on some capacitors from radioshack onto the bulb wire itself to fool the Ram's canbus into thinking there was no bulb out.

NIGHTMARE ...

I run Royal Purple 75w-140 in both diffs. OE recommends it in the rear for towing or heavy off road use, but I also use it up front, just because the axle has to put up with 33's now, and also because i'm lazy and it's easier to just have one oil to buy. Doubt there's a Trac-Lok in there, but LSD's need an additive. Transfer case uses Mopar Dexron II, or ATF+3. (2.5 pints). Also, i like the LubeLocker diff cover gaskets. Zero mess, but more importantly, a trail repair will have one less thing to deal with.

I'm not a fun of the direct injection Seafoam method, but i do dump it in the fuel tank. Something that causes that much smoke can't be that great for spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc.. 99.9% of us don't run carbs anymore, where i could see varnish build-up having a more adverse affect. Like Marvel Mystery Oil. Dump it in everything, but it's been around forever, so it don't suck.
As for the wheels, I see you're in New York, so pretty much no matter what you do, them bitches are gonna rust. Go alloy wheel in the size you want, and whatever tires. I scored 5 Moabs off here for $500. Or look for OE takeoffs. Any TJ, XJ, ZJ. or 4.5X5 wheel will fit.

Door speaker prolly don't work because of the typical wiring issues within or nearby the main door harness rubber boot. Eventually the passenger one will shit the bed. Soon the power window switches will work intermittently or stop altogether, except for the driver's master switch. And if you're really lucky, you'll get the " 'no bus' odometer reading-all my gauges just crashed out-why is every warning light on?" delightfulness. Electrical prowess XJ's have not.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the head issue. If it happens, it happens.

Here's a pic of my Patriot Blue 2000

DOOD,
your jeep is exactly how i envision mine some day. It's perfect.
Although you scare me with the mention of electrical gremlins.
As for the gremlins you mention, are the door wiring harness issues fixable ? I'm ok at fixing wiring, if its a matter of resplicing wires at a pinch point in the harness, i can do that.. Heck, im a field tech for the phone company.. Its what I do all day long.
I got bummed out hard last night when i read up on the 0331 head issue.. I can only pray i wont have that problem... At least long enough to get my money back.. Honestly if it werent for the small rust on the doors, this thing would be perfect. Everything works except the driver speaker..

I guess its what i get for buying a used vehicle... Its my first used vehicle ever.. I pray i dont get hosed..
Thankyou all again for taking personal time to answer all my questions and posting responses... I know its xmas season and we are all very busy...
Merry christmas everybody!

Jbmoose, post some more pics of your ride. Im also interested in the details of all your mods.. Email me if u want . [email protected].
Thanks!

So my IPF headlamps came in. They arent directonal are they ? Meaning one isnt left, and one isnt right is it ? on my lamps, on the back, upper left hand , big 'R' on both .. did they mess up and send me to rights or are they all the same ? WOW quadratec is FAST on shipping ! I ordered these things yesterday for petes sake ! .. haha .. just waiting on the harness from eautoworks.
Also, checked my valve cover fill hole for the horrible 0331 head crack, the head looks very clean, no junk anywhere and i see no crack to speak of. i checked when it was cold and little to no oil floating around. The truck is new to me so i'll be monitoring the coollant/oil pressure/temperature religiously i the future but i hope im ok.

Sorry if I upset you about the cracking head, it's just that you're better off knowing that it could happen, not that it will happen. Just keep an eye on the coolant level, and just keep peeking into the filler on the valve cover. I'll go out on a limb and say that most didn't fail, it's just that in a specific forum, such as this, a problem such as this takes center stage. Forewarned is forearmed!

As far as the headlights, typically the replaceable parts are universal. And with the original sealed beams, both are the same. Since aftermarket items such as these may end up all over the globe, they may be tailored to a specific market. We, as well as most of the world drive on the right-hand side of the road, hence the 'R' designation on the bodies.(I'm guessing here). Most sealed beams and light bodies are focused away from on-coming traffic, and you may be able to observe this once you've installed them. I don't see Q-tec selling an item like this for which there'd be no market. You could always call them, however.

Good luck with the Jeep, and if you're a normal, red-blooded American, this is just the beginning of an obsession! Ask me why there's four in my driveway.....

Your absolutely right man. I would much rather know it may happen, and look for it, than to never know what the issue is, and let it go for to long and mess up my engine.

I appreciate everyones comments. I can honestly say im WAY smarter having joined here in the last week. This place rocks..

how do i know if i have limited slip ? I'm about to service the differential and i called my dealer and gave them my vin # ... the girl at the service desk said that the options listed show a ' track lock' differential ... so i said well is that limited slip ? .. she said hold on ... she went and asked someone, and then came back and said that the other guy said the track lock is the same as the limited slip and to make sure to use the right stuff for the rear end ..

so i guess i have limited slip and im sure the parts desk at the dealer will be able to give me the right mopar diff fluid and limited slip additive ?

thanks again .. DOH !

Jack up the back of the vehicle, so that both back wheels are off the ground. With the shifter in PARK, try to spin a wheel. If the other one spins the opposite way, it's an open diff. If it's hard to spin, put the shifter in NEUTRAL, and try to spin it again. If both want to go the same way, it's a Trac Loc, Posi, Limited Slip, or whatever it's called. There's a thread on this site somewhere that shows the differences between the various rear ends used, but most likely it's a Dana 35, or Chrysler 8.25, the more desirable. In my experience (our XJs), the two limited slips are D35 (both hum) and the two opens are 8.25, one over 200k, one at 167k, both happy. If you do have an LSD and change the fluid, a mechanic told me to add two packets of additive, to stop the clutch chatter. It worked for us, although the diffs still suck.

I don't think the additive for the diffs is anything brand specific. Should be able to walk into any parts store and buy something. There are a couple of threads on the friction modifiers people use, and how to identify the diff.

Out of curiosity, does it also have the factory skids, front, transfercase, and fuel tank? I see you've got factory hooks up front, and the LSD possibly; wondering if you found one with the Up Country suspension package, which wouldn't suck.

In addition to the skids, the Up Country option deleted the rear stabilizer bar. If there's no bar, factory skids and hooks, should mean Up Country, which should also mean a Limited Slip Diff, most likely a D35.

Out of curiosity, does it also have the factory skids, front, transfercase, and fuel tank? I see you've got factory hooks up front, and the LSD possibly; wondering if you found one with the Up Country suspension package, which wouldn't suck.

Well oh my godness ! As a matter of fact i DO HAVE all those stated! I grabbed me an Up Country Suspension package XJ ! How sweet !

Guys, help me out. Whats the biggest tire i can run without a lift. I'm lookin for some Ravine rims and i need to know the biggest tire i can go without a lift for now. Until i get funds for a lift.

Lubelockers on their way from quadratec .. MAN quadratec is FAST with shipping .. i mean FAST ..

so i have limited slip ... i assume its in the rear diff only ?? I have a chrysler 8.25 in the back, Dana 30 up front.

I know i fill the pumpkin up to the drain hole for both rear ends with fresh fluid but, how much limited slip additive do i add by volume to the diff ? .. or diffs ?

thanks

Google "friction modifier site:naxja.org", or try LSD, limited slip, additive, etc. The "site:naxja.org" bit will limit returns to threads on this forum. It's probably around here somewhere.

Back