• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Joe-Pa fired...

Apparently you don't know what happened. Joe Paterno had no part in the abuse, he was told about the abuse by a third party. He then told his boss(athletic director) about it and expected them to handle it. He was fired because he did not go to the police right away based of a grad students word. Why is nobody angry with the grad student that witnessed it first hand? Why didn't he go directly to the police?

if he knew he deserved it... (and it looks like he did)

even if he did tell someone above him it'd be pretty obvious to anyone who doesn't condone or want to hide sexual abuse that nothing was done.. And that contacting police (who any reasonable person wouldve started with) is NECESSARY..

and the church comment makes sense as their pattern was to either A.participate or B. Help cover it up good ole joe-P fits into category B

will not recover?
Your a drama queen dude was old he probably wasn't long for retirement anyway..
I guess if you are right though maybe they should just shut the program down and go out on a high note .. (joking)

besides with what's going on anybody more concerned about football is I lil sick in my opinion.

Last edited:
I kind of agree that the grad student should have gone to he police.
He spent his life giving to the sport he loved as well as the institution and he will be remembered for this.
I think it's shitty.

Where is the accountability of those that witnessed???
The witness trusted that he did the right thing and he did he reported it to his superiors.

Why aren't they being crucified????

I think all the others above him should be held accountable but he did what he was supposed to do.

As an employer I tell my staff if they witness anything they have a responsibility to report it either to me or my companies owner.(This helps make for a safe work place) once they have done that the burden falls upon the boss(me in the case) to do the right thing and investigate it to determine the next step.
Joe-Pa did just that and his bosses didn't do the right thing. Your boss doesn't have to tell you what they are doing. For all he knew it was taken care of.
As an employee I trust that the company owner is upstanding and has good morals and values to do the right thing. One can only assume this of any boss.
As for the rioting, I think it's stupid! Yes these kids are outraged but to resort to violence isn't going to help the reputation of the institute that is already tarnished. They should be responsible adults and vioce there opinion through social media and not destroy things. It won't bring him back!!!

Paterno is just the scape goat and the press is saying it is justified because 90% of them probably haven't read the GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION. Not the hear say headlines that the majority of the pubic ass-u-me is right. This is ridiculous, all of the people that have a strong opinion on Paterno being fired don't even know what they are talking about. They are building an opinion of the situtation based on a long game a telephone, did that game ever work as a kid? No, now we are adults and playing the same game? Come on people...

I honestly don't think Joe should face any repercussion from this. He herd 2nd hand information and he immediately told his superiors at the school about it, he did his job. If people rush to the police anytime they hear 2nd hand information about an alleged crime things would get ugly fast.

Who is to say Joe felt it was a valid allegation at the time anyways? We don't know what was said or how it was said to him to make it justified to run right to the police. I don't think Joe was intending to do any student or child harm, he reported what he was told. Why didn't the school go right to the police once informed by Joe? He is stuck in the middle of a tragic situation and is the easiest to hang out to dry and the biggest figure head.

I brought this up at work to some non-football fans and as soon as they herd Joe's name they scoffed and said he was a sicko. The way the press is reporting this and how only Joe is getting attention, people are under the impression that Joe molested these kids, it is really sad.

The rioting is really sad and making the entire situation that much worse. If the school banded together in a civil manner they could have helped save the dignity for those who deserve it.

Wow. Have either of you read the indictment?

Yes, I have read it. I see nothing showing that Joe did anything wrong.

Mike witnessed an alleged child rape, why did he not go to the police that minute? If you saw a child being raped, would you walk out of the room and call your father and then go home? If he told his father that same day and neither of them called the police why are they both not facing serious charges?

Joe was told the following day by phone that something of a sexual nature may have occurred. There was no statement saying, "Yes, I witnessed a rape.", why was the phone call vague? Was he unsure of what he saw, was he hiding something or why the need to be vague? Why would Mike not out right say exactly what he saw to Joe over the phone?

Joe then reported the phone call immediately to his superiors, he did not wait a day a week, he called immediately to report it. He relayed second hand information that he was told a day after it allegedly happened.

Why didn't the athletic director/ senior VP immediately go to the police, why aren't they facing serious charges? If they were told of a crime within their organization why would they fail to inform the police for a full investigation? Why after speaking with Mike directly did they not insist he report the alleged crime he witnessed to the police?

Why is the person in literally the middle of this the only person being throw out there as having done something wrong? Why is Mike, an actual witness to one of the alleged crimes who failed to report a child rape being allowed to keep his job with the organization and attend this weekends game?

Why in the list of people here is Joe the sole responsibility for these tragedies? Should Joe had gone to the police with 2nd hand vague information and risk a major scandal on his shoulders if it had been false? I truly believe had Joe witnessed anything he would have gone directly to the police. Being presented with 2nd hand information after the fact, he did what he was supposed to do, report it to his superiors.

The grad student should have stopped it when he saw it. Joe should have told him to go to the police. The fact that after knowing about this he was still able to use the facility's and keep doing what he was doing. They should clean house of all of them and start over. If you think there is nothing wrong with doing nothing about child rap then yourself are just as much of a POS as Jerry.

The grad student should have stopped it when he saw it. Joe should have told him to go to the police. The fact that after knowing about this he was still able to use the facility's and keep doing what he was doing. They should clean house of all of them and start over. If you think there is nothing wrong with doing nothing about child rap then yourself are just as much of a POS as Jerry.

Agreed. The whole lot of them should go to jail for covering it up with silence.

Back