• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS over axle track bar bracket

Wow, I think a few of you guys have no idea what you're talking about with all these random questions. Please just sit back and watch the convo instead of confusing everyone while trying to join in.

Well as far as the comparison goes: I'm looking at the Ballistic Fab steering kit which is $260 for all the heims, adapters, misalignment spacers and DOM. It uses 3/4" bolts in the knuckles and pitman arm, which are pretty damn strong. Gonna put hydro assist on it, which will take a lot of stress off the drag link, so running a single shear pitman arm heim won't be too bad after all.

I currently have the Currie steering setup. It uses solid bar and big beefy TRE's, but they have the stock taper. I've never seen anyone break these, but I did see a dude break a big beefy Teraflex TRE, which is pretty much the same design with stock taper. Since these are proprietary, I'm not going to find these at any parts store and they cost a bloody fortune from Currie to replace.

As little as I drive mine on the road anymore other than in the snow or long trips to wheeling spots, I doubt I'll wear out the heims anytime soon. Plus, I've never worried much about 'street legal' with my vehicles (loud catless mustangs, lowered cars, lifted jeep, etc) so why worry about it now?

Well as far as the comparison goes: I'm looking at the Ballistic Fab steering kit which is $260 for all the heims, adapters, misalignment spacers and DOM. It uses 3/4" bolts in the knuckles and pitman arm, which are pretty damn strong. Gonna put hydro assist on it, which will take a lot of stress off the drag link, so running a single shear pitman arm heim won't be too bad after all.

thats the kit i bought. and im not running hydro assist obviously. i DD mine and it has worked great. heims are still quiet and tight. but i did have to clearance the JKS bracket a tiny bit on the passenger side edge because my draglink would rub it slightly when turning full lock to the passenger side. you can sort of see the rounded egde in the picture i posted earlier in the thread. not saying it will be an issue for all, but it may occur depending on your set up.

I used the ballistics 3/4 steering kit on mine and it worked great

First I used it with the OTA mount from Rusty's offroad
DSCF0912.jpg

But due to some bad welding on my part and how it mounted it broke so I went with a ballistic mounts instead which I liked alot better.
GetAttachment1-1.jpg

GetAttachment3-1.jpg

You guys have any issues with the tie rod hitting the diff cover? I have a ruff stuff cover and I'm kinda worried I might have to clearance it a bit. Oh well, mod mod mod.

And yeah, I think since my axle is pushed forward 1-2", the drag link will probably hit stuff lol.

Since this thread was revived, might as well throw in my updates!

I installed a Ballistic truss and the JKS bracket at the same time in preperation for OTK steering. Everything integrated well and I added gussets all over the place. Also integrated the truss into my 3-link upper mount for lots of strength.

IMG_1373.jpg

2011-07-23_18-12-47_873-1.jpg

After this, I installed the ruffstuff 7/8" heim steering kit but forgot to take pictures. Basically I ran the tie rod from knuckle to knuckle, then ran the drag link from pitman arm to tabs on the top of the tie rod. I didn't want to double stack the heims on top of the knuckle because I didn't really have time or capability at the moment to add a tab on the knuckle.

To make sure the tie rod didn't hit my Ruff Stuff diff cover, I cut a huge chunk out of the top corner and plated over it. There is almost an inch of space between the diff cover and ring gear, so this wasn't an issue.

Of course, the tie rod ended up hitting both coil buckets pretty hard and limits my steering a lot. The only way to fix this problem is to cut off the stock coil mounts on the axle and weld on new ones that are centered over the axle, which would also require a new track bar bracket other than JKS. Just running the steering as is since I'm trying to sell the Jeep now anyway.

you guys running the JKS bracket, did you drill the holes out for larger bolts? that looks like much larger than stock hardware

Yes, I'm thinking that's a 9/16" bolt on the axle side of my track bar, but I can't exactly remember. I do remember drilling out the whole bigger though.

Here's a couple of pics of my Dana 30 rebuild. WJ, knuckles, truss, JKS T/B mount, RUffstuff TRE steering and 3/4" hiems on the trackbar. Only thing I has to do was machine down the high angle spacers to fit the spacing of the JKS mount.

2647478700051291678S500x500Q85.jpg

2261110000051291678S500x500Q85.jpg

Stock spacers
2005059120051291678S500x500Q85.jpg

Machined down to fit, sorry miss the picture of them mounted up.
2926583110051291678S500x500Q85.jpg

Back