• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK axles (non Rubicon) worth the effort?

Goose_XJ88

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Question for the crew. I know a few people have been doing JK axles instead of 1 ton axles but they are Rubi 44s.

I am curious on people's thoughts on if the non Rubi 30/44 combo is even worth swapping into our rigs. Currently there is a pair of these for sale which seems cheap but they are geared much lower than I would need and the rear has chromos. My assumption is O/O since no traction device is noted.

On another note, would JK axles still preferred over the JLs with the CAD and dumb drain plugs on the bottom of the pumpkin?

I’d never swap in CAD anything. I don’t know which you are suggesting has it.

So many of us love the XJ HP D30 so if you can get one cheap from a J-something that matches a good rear axle I don’t know why it would be so bad to swap at home? I wouldn’t pay a shop $2k to do it.

5.13s would probably be too low in too small of axles for anything except like 33s with a manual. Maybe 35s.

I know the newest rendition (JL) has a CAD dont think the JK does. I would never pay a shop to swap axles but I was thinking JK over the FSJ 44s or the likes because I thought they were lighter and have more ground clearance; could be wrong.

I was thinking the same thing though about the 5.13, way too deep for auto and 33s; especially when I plan on getting an atlas 4 speed eventually.

Just was something shiny since the person was selling the axle set for $400. Wasnt sure if it was something I could use or even worth flipping since I feel like most JK Guys will be doing axle swaps once they get to the 5:13 range or at least only doing it in Rubi axles.

Had I stumbled on a set of rubi JK axles I would have built them but the full size stuff was what popped up when I was looking. I don't see anything wrong with regular JK axles under a casual wheeler especially if you can get them for a deal and they've been built to some degree.

Run it and report back!

JK Rubi 44's yes
JK non-Rubi 30/44 no (although you can make the rear strong with 35-spline ARB)
JL or Gladiator axles with CAD - No thanks

Really the only advantage the JK axles have versus a standard 44 is a larger (stronger) ring and pinion. But the housing has inherent weaknesses which need to be addressed. That and I don't like how low the tie rod is. I think built JK44's would be a great axle for running 37's on an XJ. Larger tires than that you might be wishing you had gone with 1-tons.

We are currently re-building the F-150 Dana 44 that we bought from Rob D. So far I like it. Yes it can be expensive, but we are building my son's rig to run 35's (yes you can do it with a Dana 30 and it still costs money...) If we were thinking of anything larger than 35's, yes I would skip the 44 and go to 1-tons from the start.

Last edited:
JK Rubi 44's yes
JK non-Rubi 30/44 no (although you can make the rear strong with 35-spline ARB)
JL or Gladiator axles with CAD - No thanks

Really the only advantage the JK axles have versus a standard 44 is a larger (stronger) ring and pinion. But the housing has inherent weaknesses which need to be addressed. That and I don't like how low the tie rod is. I think built JK44's would be a great axle for running 37's on an XJ. Larger tires than that you might be wishing you had gone with 1-tons.

If we were thinking of anything larger than 35's, yes I would skip the 44 and go to 1-tons from the start.

Thats exactly what I had assumed on the axles, Rubi JK is really the only option for the wrangler flavor. Watching how well the axles seem to be doing in Gordon's rig with his abuse is what got me thinking as well as coming across those cheap non Rubi axles. Seen here https://chico.craigslist.org/pts/d/maxwell-dana-axle-set/7457031410.html

I dont plan on ever going bigger than my 33s so a JK swap probably isnt in my future but if I came across a cheap Rubi 44 pair, I may jump for the possible future upgrade. I am always keeping my eyes out for a polished turdy to swap in my rig but we will see when the next one pops up.

JK Rubicon 44s would be legit. It seems like a massive, massive waste of time and money to go to a JK 30/non rubi 44 when you already have a XJ hp30/44 in your rig.

For 33’s and an auto, an xj hp30 front and 44 rear with 4.56 or 4.88 and alloys is more than sufficient. In all honesty use the money you are saving for the other axles and atlas for gas to go wheeling.

Back