• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep XJ Overcharging And Popping Fuses

cavalier

NAXJA Forum User
My 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 AW4 is overcharging its battery at about 15.6V while running (verified by a voltmeter).

The result: the turn signal fuse has blown, the brake lights don't work, and rear running lights also don't work.

I disconnected the rear lights (from the rear panel behind the spare tire) to verify there's no weird short going on with the janky trailer harness, and the problem continues.

I also used a jumper cable to connect the battery's negative to the engine (bypassing the ground wire to test it for corrosion), and I did the same thing from the positive cable going from the alt to the + battery post. I've also changed out the battery clamps.

I've also tested the car with a new PCM from my other XJ, and it still charges high. Plus, I tried it with a different alternator.

I'm lost. What could be the issue, here?

Thanks for your help,

-DT

Could have the regulator going out but alternators often charge at 14.1- 15.8 volts not necessarily. It wouldn't be causing a fuse to blow. That would come from downstream of the fuse. Continue to look for a short in the wiring.

X2 on the battery. I agree you probably have a short some where in the lighting. Good luck, they can be a real pain to find, I had one behind the headlight that took me hours to find.

X2 on the battery. I agree you probably have a short some where in the lighting. Good luck, they can be a real pain to find, I had one behind the headlight that took me hours to find.

My starter fuse blew all the time with my 98. I couldn't figure out why, changed the starter and many other things. Turned out the fuse for the starter was also the fuse for the rear window defroster. Why am I telling you this? The answer is simple. Figure out what is tying into all those systems and find the common link. There's a wire in there that's rubbing on something. Mine was in the rear hatch, yours has to be further forward since you already disconnected at the left rear fender.

I've seen this problem before. In my case, it was a bad connection on the field windings on the back of the alternator. I had like 17+v at highway speeds, blew out a few bulbs.

Back