• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont start nss switch is new?

picked up a multi tester and believe that the battery cables have a break in them,

Did you fix the cable yet??

Hit the starter with a pipe or a hammer a few times. Bet she'll fire right up. Strike it hard enough to free up sticky parts, but not hard enough to break it.

I don't know if I'd "smack it real hard" with a hammer. You could crack the starter case. Hit it, just don't break it.

is that a joke? maybe bad connection !!!

Hitting the starter is NOT a joke, it's an old mechanics trick. The carbon & crap inside the starter can build up and make the starter unreliable. Usually if THIS works your starter is on it's way out.

I think your closer to a resolution than you think. Clean ALL the connectors that have anything to do with the starting circuit, battery, grounds, starter. Take 'em off, make 'em all shiny clean with some sandpaper and put them back together...ALL of them, clean and tight.

Inspect the cables visually to see if there is corrosion outside and inside the battery cables. If there are any breaks and/or corrosion...replace them. There are new cables at any parts store, you may want upgraded cables, but you're just trying to get back on the road.

It's not rocket science, just old greasy corroded wires don't work so well even if you're sure the connectors are all good. If the starter and all the other components are testing fine, then it's either your battery or the wires...just sayin'.

The last 3 starters I had go bad, were all bad solenoids, and I had no problem replacing them. But I don't live in salt and snow country, the rust belt.

Taking the solenoid off the starter is to be avoided, the bolts are almost guaranteed to be be welded in place and there is a good chance of snapping them off. Solenoids rarely fail anyway, I've only seen one bad on in 26 years and that was rust from a torn seal and not an electrical failure.

yea my starter is pretty covered in oil so ill open it up and give it a good cleaning, is wd40 okay to use? and were is the oil coming from? (valve cover gasket is new flepro)

WD40 will dry up into a hard insulating material, not a good idea.

Electrical, electronic cleaner solvent is best. Brake cleaner that contains ONLY PERCHLORETHYLENE is good.

If it has Toluene, Xylene carburetor cleaner in it, it will eat the insulation off the wires and short the starter.

wow good to know, were can you get electrical cleaner, radio shack, home depot, auto zone, ?

AutoZone, Advanced Auto, O'Reileys have both,

but the brake cleaners come in two formulas,

the right one is NON-Flammable,

the wrong one makes a great torch!!!:flame:

The last 3 starters I had go bad, were all bad solenoids, and I had no problem replacing them. But I don't live in salt and snow country, the rust belt.

Like Mike said, avoid spraying the windings, some solvents eat the insulation off of the windings.

I've had a brand new solenoid on the shelf for twenty years and never needed it. I have taken a few apart and cleaned them out. The screws were always welded in and hard to get out. I do live in salt country.

There is a metal piston in the solenoid behind a rubber seal that can get rusty and stick. I clean the rust off, pack it in Vaseline :) and reassemble.

Last edited:
Back