• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep went wacky.

Was that video with the bent rod installed still?

Any idea why it got bent?

Did replacing it fix the problem, or there an issue still bent the rod?

Was that video with the bent rod installed still?

Any idea why it got bent?

Did replacing it fix the problem, or there an issue still bent the rod?

Video is with it still installed, lifter will not go down. Replacing this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if its wiggling from being loose. the rod could jump out of its seat and wedge itself and bend. check to make sure that all the rocker bolts are tightened.

Buying a long block from a 95 that my best friends brother has. So Imma just swap it into the 88 and use my sensors and stuff to get it running.

Buying a long block from a 95 that my best friends brother has. So Imma just swap it into the 88 and use my sensors and stuff to get it running.

I hope you know that is not a direct swap? Exh-Int manifolds and hardware attached to them are very different. The Int-Exh ports and gaskets are not the same, the flex plates and CPSs and computers are not the same. Distributor is different. T-stat housing and temp sensor locations are different for starters.

I would have put MMO on top of that lifter for a day to see if it could be freed up, but if it is really badly seized I see why you went for a long block swap.

Last edited:
Cruiser54 has a write up on it.

Good deal, just wanted to be sure you knew. Cruiser54 write ups are awesome.

Been awhile, been super busy with work. Pulled the head yesterday. Going to order the rest of the lifters and pushrods and just replace them all since I have it apart. One of the lifters on cyl 2 had a hole in the bottom and one was seized.

I have all new gaskets and everything also.

a0b70d67ac2e6c2b6628b0676377a74a.jpg

oh boy i feel like i just had my engine looking like that. just remember to put the drivers side rear head bolt into the head before lifting it back onto the block.

More important than that, get #11 head bolt threads in the block clean and dry! Pick up some good thread sealer. This also applies to the most forward exhaust stud.

Just #11?

I plan on cleaning everything as much as possible and chasing all the threads to clean them.

I think 11 matters because it's exposed to the internals of the head whereas the others are threaded solely into the head with no exposure to anything else. But yeah, clean everything. Just good practice anyway, even though I don't follow it myself all the time...

Back