• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep stalled now will only idle.....

I called Canoga Jeep Parts, they said I could use a standard connector on it. I will drop the tank and try to get the sucker installed ... I wonder if smog will pass now that I have replaced just about everything. I hope so , I need to get to the fun stuff. I plan on upgrading from 4.5" to 6" lift , rebuilding front end , new 33" tires etc.etc. and probably creating new problems as I go. But thats the fun of owning an XJ right?

Well, i put the new fuel pump in and nothing?? Jumpered the relay and its definately on but no fuel. I pulled it and guess what, the polarity is opposite on the new pump but not marked cause I swappped the leads and it gets great pressure now. Now I can finally get back to getting it smogged. Lets see, the only thing I have not replaced is the cat. Is there a way to clean that up???

Dont try to clean or gut the cat spend the money on a good strait flow cat that will help give you back some hp your clogged one stole. They are fairly cheap and do yourself a favor have a muffler shop weld it all in place those clamps are only good for placement not for runnin.

Can you recommend a brand of cat? The last one I got was whatever they had at autozone. Also my thermostat is reading 210 and water is coming out my cap, this is the second cap, i thought I had burped the system correctly. This is the hottest my rig gets. The Jeep parts guy said they do not warranty the cap unless you buy it with the bottle. Whats up with that?

I had constant overheating problems and have heard loads of remedies ranging from "the latest new super cool radiator" to "that stuff that supposedly runs 20 degrees cooler".

I bought 2 electric fans (one larger one smaller), a double pole 10 amp 12 volt relay, and an adjustable thermal switch. Remove the mech fan and shroud (gained the most horsepower of any mod I have done), and mounted the fans to the rad. Next I wired the output from the thermal switch ( which is supplied by a key operated source, in my case the cigarette lighter) to the coil voltage on the relay. tie the air conditioner fan power lead to the coil voltage too. run the fan positives straight from the battery individually on their own relay contacts, and poof, no more overheat, plus the ac kicks at idle! (make sure you get the polarity correct on those aftermarket fans so they are pulling)

do not use a ford starter relay, though they can handle the draw of both fans on one contact they are not made for continuous use and will promptly burn up!

I am using one aftermarket fan fron PAW, works good. Its a 12 inch replacement for the aux.

you are still using the stock overflow bottle and the hose is good to it and the hose is sealed.....right? if not you'll have overflow and push a little fluid out every time it gets hot, and not take it back in when the engine finally cools.

My idle was a little low, like 300 or so RPM, I set it to 750 and now no more overheating. I was only having overheating problems at idle.

Back