• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep is dead to me...

crunked

NAXJA Forum User
I am generally dissatisfied with the offerings from jeep. This has been a progressive problem beginning with the demise of the XJ and the inbreeding of german "engineering". The way I see it is that Jeep has watered down its own brew. Geeze they have even dropped the J from the model designations for christs sake...even TOYOTA HAS A FRIGGIN "J" model. I was actually quite contained about the demise of jeep until about 15 minutes ago while on the jeep website specing out a wrangler. First of all I hate the grands, commanders, libbys, ESPECIALLY HATE the compass and patriot. But you see, I THOUGHT that I could still rely on the good old universal, that is until I realized that 4x4 is an OPTION< HAHAHAHAH trail rated. yeh. The Rubicon models are fine, and I would consider one...maybe. Well, anyway, Heres to Jeep...where you can order your very own faux mail jeep sans right wheel drive. FWIW if I ever buy a new vehicle it will probably be a toyota, I just cant be an enabler for this kinda crap.

~Scott
94 XJ 2" BB 30x9.5 kumhos
87 YJ -Gone
80 CJ-5 -Gone
76 CJ-7 -Gone

any jeep ending with a letter designation other than a number of the letter J..NEVER

First off, I agree with most of what your saying.

But, The XJ came with a 2 wheel drive option too, not everybody wants 4x4. All that does is help Jeep (can't, and won't say Chrysler), sell more of the wranglers. The new wrangler ROCKS!! plain and simply, the only vehicle like it. 4 doors, convertable top, fold down windshield, solid front axle, take the doors off HOT!! Toyota can't compete with their IFS watered down remake of the FJ-40. Now the FJ-80 series is a different story.

Jeep saved itself in my book with the new wrangler. They left a little bone for us off-roaders with the rubicon. Now, if they will just drop a 4.7 HO in or, and a diesel option, I'll be there at the door for one.

xjaddiction said:
Jeep saved itself in my book with the new wrangler. They left a little bone for us off-roaders with the rubicon. Now, if they will just drop a 4.7 HO in or, and a diesel option, I'll be there at the door for one.

Unfortunately now that is the exception to the jeep line, not the rule. Yet less that 10 years ago the only less worthy modern jeep were the Grands, not an offroader only because of price at the time.

Unfortunately, Chrysler is attempting to do what many other american manufacturers have done. V6 mustangs outsell their V8 counterparts. If you can sell a less expensive 2wd version of a wrangler to a cheerleader that just wants to look good driving one, there's a market for it.
I only disagree with you based on one observation. While the majority of us guys/girls that wheel think we are the majority, we are in fact a relative minority in the automotive world. If you want to continue to see vehicles by Jeep on the road, they have to sell them. This means IFS and cushy soccermom rides.
I for one like how the commander looks, very much a throwback to the XJ, and like any other jeep, perfectly capable with some upgrades and has the v8 in it you're looking for.

RedHeapOjeep said:
Unfortunately, Chrysler is attempting to do what many other american manufacturers have done. V6 mustangs outsell their V8 counterparts. If you can sell a less expensive 2wd version of a wrangler to a cheerleader that just wants to look good driving one, there's a market for it.
I only disagree with you based on one observation. While the majority of us guys/girls that wheel think we are the majority, we are in fact a relative minority in the automotive world. If you want to continue to see vehicles by Jeep on the road, they have to sell them. This means IFS and cushy soccermom rides.
I for one like how the commander looks, very much a throwback to the XJ, and like any other jeep, perfectly capable with some upgrades and has the v8 in it you're looking for.

Well put, I agree...and after riding in the new JK 4 door, I think it is rather rugged and would make a good rig.

Why a 2wd jeep? Well they make for a great convertible at a low price. Who needs 4wd for those who live south of Kentucky and dont go off-road. Here in Nashville you could take the top off 9 months out of the year. Have you priced convertibles lately? Very hard to find one for under 30K, unless you can deal with a mini miata. G6, stratus etc $30k+

Also, 2wd makes for a great mail vehicle in 80% of the county, for those in areas of light snow, chains can be used. I work for USPS and XJ's are a big favorite. But who needs 4wd? Extra gas and extra reliability issues. My personal 96 is 4wd but it came from colorado and it headed for NW PA and will see Lake Effect snow six months out of the year. I have never needed the 4wd in my six months with it.

I fully understand that Jeep needs to sell vehicles to stay in business. A universal (cj, yj, tj, and the new one) Jeep is worthless without 4wd. Plain and simple, the Jeep lineup has been based on off road ability since its inception. Yes, there are 2x4 Jeeps. The XJs were always available as 2wd, as were all of the modern SUV Jeeps. Those suvs are large market...the CJ/s and Wranglers NEVER were. Plain and simple, a 2wd universal is just WRONG WRONG WRONG. Alot dont get put into 4wd much if ever...but you still CAN. The 4x4 wranglers are fine and the rubi's are great...but the fact is 4x4 is an OPTION. The very image of a Jeep is one of a capable vehicle and thats what people see when they see a Jeep. To defend my toyota statment earlier, a rear LOCKER in a new wrangler will set you back about 8 large over a base model 4x4...yeah you get a front one and a 4.0-1 xfer case with that. Know how much one in a FJ cruiser will run? $340 with NO package requirements. Im not saying the FJ will out wheel a rubicon, but for the price and reputation of reliability It is definitely worth a look. To me this is all about Jeep turning its back on what got them where they are. They survived kaiser back in the day, maybe dailmer holds a grudge.

~SM

Jess said:
Can anyone justify the Compass???

its justafiable if they sell alot of them

You know whats bad? I actually like that platform in dodge flavor (caliber)...in those clothes it doesnt hide the fact thats it is a car. In jeep clothes it looks like its trying to fit in with all the cool kids at the local north face retailer. Re-badging at its finest.

~SM

crunked said:
Plain and simple, the Jeep lineup has been based on off road ability since its inception.

Disagreed - at least somewhat. Not every Jeep (as you point out) has been 4WD. More:

Yes, there are 2x4 Jeeps. The XJs were always available as 2wd, as were all of the modern SUV Jeeps. Those suvs are large market...the CJ/s and Wranglers NEVER were. Plain and simple, a 2wd universal is just WRONG WRONG WRONG.

What about the Jeepsters? Or 2WD J-Trucks? Or DJs, forward-controls, and others that weren't 4WD during the CJ era? Jeep has a long history of making 4WD vehicles and this is what most people associate them with - but in my mind, their vehicles have always been about being flexible in a general-purpose sense first, with off-road capability as a nice bonus where specified.

Alot dont get put into 4wd much if ever...but you still CAN. The 4x4 wranglers are fine and the rubi's are great...but the fact is 4x4 is an OPTION.

True, but is a 2WD JK really any worse than, say, a 2WD or AWD KJ, WJ, or WK? In either case, the owner likely doesn't care about off-road ability; they just want something that fits their needs.

The very image of a Jeep is one of a capable vehicle and thats what people see when they see a Jeep.

Absolutely. But that's perception, not reality. And really, the people buying all the 2WD models are helping to subsidise production costs of the 4WD versions, in turn making them cheaper and more accessible.

To defend my toyota statment earlier, a rear LOCKER in a new wrangler will set you back about 8 large over a base model 4x4...yeah you get a front one and a 4.0-1 xfer case with that.

Right, but this is still comparing apples and oranges. More:

Know how much one in a FJ cruiser will run? $340 with NO package requirements.

Okay, but a base FJ Cruiser runs $21,710 vs. $18,765 for a 2-door JK (and I'll admit that Toyota's website requires a plugin only supported under Windows in order to configure a car, so I can't do a more direct comparison right now). That $3000 difference gives you a lot of wiggle room in the specification of the Jeep - and as I understand it, a locker in only the rear in addition to the swaybar disconnect system is going to be made optional fairly soon on non-Rubicon models.

Im not saying the FJ will out wheel a rubicon, but for the price and reputation of reliability It is definitely worth a look. To me this is all about Jeep turning its back on what got them where they are. They survived kaiser back in the day, maybe dailmer holds a grudge.

I've noticed something interesting: historically, every time a new generation of Jeeps come out there's intially resistance to them, then people start using them for their intended purpose and after a few years they're gradually accepted into the fold. We're seeing the same thing here. Plus ca change, plus ca meme.

Last edited:
casm said:
I've noticed something interesting: historically, every time a new generation of Jeeps come out there's intially resistance to them, then people start using them for their intended purpose and after a few years they're gradually accepted into the fold. We're seeing the same thing here. Plus ca change, plus ca meme.
was not the XJ one of these vehicles?
What no frame? It'll flop
What a mini SUV? It'll flop

Turns out they sold a lot of those, and they turned out alright. It's like your parents just had another baby and now you're not the favorite in this thread.

Most all the jeepspeed dezert racers prefer 2wd because of the lighter drivetrain. I dont like the solid "b" pillar design on the 4 door, but the hard top design kinda makes up for it.

crunked said:
The XJs were always available as 2wd

not ALWAYS, but after a while, it became an option on the XJ first. up until sometime in the 80s, maybe early 90s ALL jeep models were 4x4. this was a big advertising thing they used and they made sure to print it in all of their manuals.

of course there were a few exceptions such as mail jeeps etc, but the production models were all 4x4s.

-Tim

crunked said:
A universal (cj, yj, tj, and the new one) Jeep is worthless without 4wd.Plain and simple, a 2wd universal is just WRONG WRONG WRONG.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. As has been said, its about profits and sales. If a cheerleader wants to drive a Wrangler and look "cute" but she never plans on using the 4x4, why pay extra for it? A Jeep is no different from any other SUV out there. Ours just happen to be more capable than most.
crunked said:
Alot dont get put into 4wd much if ever...but you still CAN. The 4x4 wranglers are fine and the rubi's are great...but the fact is 4x4 is an OPTION.
Again, why pay extra if you aren'tgonna use it? That's like all the people out there driving F-350 Crew Cab SUper Duty's with the PowerStroke diesel just for the sake of driving the cool truck. I'd do it if I could afford it, but most people around here complain about that type of stuff, unless it pertains to paying a grand or so extra for unused 4x4, while getting worse gas mileage, having an extra diff and a t-case to change fluids in, etc...
crunked said:
To defend my toyota statment earlier, a rear LOCKER in a new wrangler will set you back about 8 large over a base model 4x4...yeah you get a front one and a 4.0-1 xfer case with that. Know how much one in a FJ cruiser will run? $340 with NO package requirements.
I'll agree with you on this one. Package requirements are stupid. It would be nice if you could order individual components for your vehicle without having to pay a grand or so extra for the package.

If I were to go and buy a JK right now I might really concider a 2wd JK, ONLY because it would be my DD and basically never go off road. I have my XJ for the offroad so I really dont see the need in buying a nother vechile with 4x4.(also I live in FL so snow is no factor for me)

Andrew

DrMoab said:
in 1941 the Willys Jeepster ONLY came in 2wd.

I think you mean 1951

Jeep can get away with making crap because of people's ignorance.

Think about it....how many Americans know what a solid axle suspension is? Practically no one. (Except us, the four wheelers of course.)

But nearly all Americans know the difference between a smooth ride and a bumpier ride. So Jeep is capitalizing on this.

Back